Welcome to Gaia! ::

~ Midnight Moon ~

Back to Guilds

~ for pagans, wiccans and witches ~ 

Tags: wiccan, witchcraft, paganism, wicca, heathenry 

Reply *~Reading Room~* (discussions on books/authors)
Books, Spellbooks, Book of Shadows? Total beginner questions

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Erise Crewe

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 12:39 am
I was once told that a spell book will not have an effect unless it's gifted. This was told to me by a wiccan who supposedly comes from a long family line of practitioners. I'm beginning to doubt the validity of that statement, and I was wondering if anyone could confirm.

I'm a complete newbie to the subject, and I have only just begun researching. My first assumption about witchcraft was that it was taught- passed down from generation to generation or mentor to student. This sort of sounds like the case, judging from some of the posts made in these forums. But on the other hand I had a distrust for books concerning the subject. I thought that anyone could publish a book, and who would be the ones to proofread/verify the accuracy of a book concerning witchcraft? Being an 'outsider' I view the practice as something secret, maybe even sacred that only very few know the truth of. This probably sounds silly since y'all probably experience it every day so it's not a big deal anymore xd

So my quest for knowledge began with some suggestions on the forums, especially the one recommended by the forum, and as I was browsing through the books i noticed books such as "Joy of Satan" and "The Book of Mephisto". I know I sound hypocritical, but I'm an atheist that believes in the existence of demons and felt a bit spooked by having books like that next to "Complete Idiot's Guide to Wicca and Witchcraft" I know that magick and satan aren't related but I'm having a moment of doubt (*insert some reassurance from the guild please*)

Also, what's the difference between a spellbook and a book of shadows? Sorry if this is an obvious question, but I'm still quite new to all of this.

Anyone have a favorite book they'd like to recommend? Or share some experiences involving books they liked/didn't like?  
PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 2:55 am
There's a lot to break down here, but I'm gonna do my best.

a spell book is a place to record your notes, practices, basically how you do your spells. It's like a lab book, there's no need for it to be gifted, it can even be a spiral notebook.

The 'wiccan that came from a long line', is probably not wiccan at all. Wicca is a relatively new faith that was started in the 1940's. So unless she is 3rd, maybe 4th generation wiccan, she is simply not from a long line of them. Perhaps she meant witchcraft? Not Wiccan.

Witchcraft can be taught to younger relatives, teacher to student, but it can also be self taught/ learned.

Many books and websites are simply inaccurate or flat out wrong at times. Anyone can write a book or put up a website, it doesn't mean what they write is true.

Some belief systems are secretive, like Wicca, but others as well. Only full initiated members know the inner secrets and they are sworn not to reveal them. But not all faiths are secretive, and for the independent witch it's really up for them to decide what to share or not share. But there are people and places you can gain knowledge from.

As a more or less former atheist (depending on your view of that), demons and ghosts aren't necessarily against atheism. Many people believe ghosts are 100% scientifically explainable (as spirits) but we don't have the technology to prove it yet. ( a lot to explain on that one). The same could be said of demons- or 'inhuman spirits' as some view them.

Magic and satan are related or not related depending on what beliefs you go by. A satanist who practices witchcraft will say they are related, but a Wiccan for example doesn't believe in satan, so they are not related.

A book of shadows or (BOS), essentially is a spellbook. The term was first used by Gerald Gardner, the founder of the Wiccan faith, all members of a coven would copy the master BOS for their own use. But many non Wiccans use this term for their own BOS today. It's again, a type of lab book to record your spells, what you're doing, goals, ect.

also I apologize to anyone who feels my information is wrong, feel free to correct me where you see fit. (but please quote me, so I will know what I said that's wrong)  

Vlad T

Dapper Cultist

Sanguina Cruenta
Vice Captain

Eloquent Bloodsucker

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 3:19 am
More or less right on all counts, Vlad biggrin Except sort of the Wiccan BoS, which afaik is less about spells and more about liturgy, mythology, exercises and laws and so on.

Crewe: Not sure where your friend got her info, but a spellbook is just a book that contains spells. It doesn't have any effect on its own. That's.... bizarre. And as Vlad said, it's impossible to come from a long line of Wiccans, and Wicca isn't typically a family affair anyway, so I'd put much of what this person says into the "suspicious" basket.

You're right in that witchcraft presumably was mostly passed down within families, in the sense of "traditional witchcraft". Many people find a teacher nowadays too, but now most witches are self-taught through books, personal work and so on. Your perspective of distrust regarding books is actually rather refreshing, because a lot of books are full of crap, and indeed anything "secret" or sufficiently ineffable won't be in there. Any "Mysteries" won't be in there, any family formulas and so on... but much of it is stuff you come across on your own. That is to say, once you get the basics down and you begin to understand the form of magic you like and symbolism and so on, it's easy enough to write your own spells and you can piece together your own craft.

Now, Satan is a figure that makes, like, no sense at all if you decide YHWH doesn't exist. He's an angel, a servant of YHWH, the prosecuting attorney, so without YHWH the idea of Satan is a bit weird. I'm not sure where you're finding these books, though...? They're not on the list. If you're talking about at your local bookstore, they just shove everything relating to the occult, metaphysical stuff and alternative religions in the same place.

Depends on what you're looking into. I've already recommended a couple of Valiente books for you on general magic and witchcraft. A caveat on her: she does believe the Murray thing (that is to say, believes that witchcraft is an ancient underground religion), although on the other side of things she's a bit wishy-washy on how she really defines witchcraft. Aside from those particulars she's an amazing source because of how interested she is in things and how dogged she is about tracking stuff down.  
PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 3:37 am
Ok time to break this down.

Erise Crewe
I was once told that a spell book will not have an effect unless it's gifted.

I don't think that's true. Reason being, its just a book that you're writing your own spells down in. Plus people say that about tarot and oracle cards and I have no problem with mine.

Quote:
This was told to me by a wiccan who supposedly comes from a long family line of practitioners. I'm beginning to doubt the validity of that statement, and I was wondering if anyone could confirm.

That person could have come from a family of witches but if they're saying that's the reason they're Wiccan then they're probably not actually Wiccan.

Quote:
I'm a complete newbie to the subject, and I have only just begun researching. My first assumption about witchcraft was that it was taught- passed down from generation to generation or mentor to student. This sort of sounds like the case, judging from some of the posts made in these forums.

I would say it all really depends. I think San was a self-taught witch(she can correct me if I'm wrong). Garrett comes from a family of witches. Some religious forms of witchcraft(like Wicca) have to be taught by the HP/HPS to the student but I think that as long as a person has done the research and knows what they're doing then they can be a witch too.

Quote:
But on the other hand I had a distrust for books concerning the subject. I thought that anyone could publish a book, and who would be the ones to proofread/verify the accuracy of a book concerning witchcraft?

It depends on the author really.

Quote:
Being an 'outsider' I view the practice as something secret, maybe even sacred that only very few know the truth of. This probably sounds silly since y'all probably experience it every day so it's not a big deal anymore xd

Some traditions of witchcraft are secret and/or sacred. Wicca's both. San has a form of religious witchcraft that is sacred to her. Heka would probably be sacred to me when I finally get a chance to read into it.

Quote:
So my quest for knowledge began with some suggestions on the forums, especially the one recommended by the forum, and as I was browsing through the books i noticed books such as "Joy of Satan" and "The Book of Mephisto". I know I sound hypocritical, but I'm an atheist that believes in the existence of demons and felt a bit spooked by having books like that next to "Complete Idiot's Guide to Wicca and Witchcraft"

Atheism just means you don't believe in deities. So just because you're an atheist doesn't mean you can't believe in demons and whatnot, I would think.

Quote:
I know that magick and satan aren't related but I'm having a moment of doubt (*insert some reassurance from the guild please*)

1) Why did you spell magic with a 'k'?
2) They're only related if a witch made them related. Magic doesn't even have to involve other entities.

Quote:
Also, what's the difference between a spellbook and a book of shadows? Sorry if this is an obvious question, but I'm still quite new to all of this.

The name. A Book of Shadows is a spellbook.

Quote:
Anyone have a favorite book they'd like to recommend?

Depends on the type of witchcraft you're looking into.

Quote:
Or share some experiences involving books they liked/didn't like?

Ok so there was this one time, I was reading a book by Silver Ravenwolf and I wanted to burn it.
Oh and there was this other time, I was reading Coming into the Light by Gerald and Betty Schueler and I wanted to burn it.
(For some reason I'm a glutton for punishment when it comes to reading random books on magic)  

X-Yami-no-Ko-X

Hallowed Prophet

11,850 Points
  • Friendly 100
  • Survivor 150
  • Timid 100

kyndryana3

10,550 Points
  • Team Jacob 100
  • Hygienic 200
PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 5:16 am
X-Yami-no-Ko-X

(For some reason I'm a glutton for punishment when it comes to reading random books on magic)

I'm the same way, so I end up reading a lot of stuff that is pretty bad. Even in some of the really bad ones, I can sometimes come up with bits and morsels that either I find interesting, or that spark an idea of something that would work for me. Sometimes it's worth dredging through things for those bits...sometimes it's not. On the whole, I take published books with a grain of salt. Then if I find bits that I like that sound reasonable, I try working with those bits. If they end up working for me, wonderful, if not, it's on to the next book!

One I read recently I would say to stay away from is "The Wicca Handbook" by Eileen Holland. I picked it up from the local thrift store, even though it looked pretty generic (and was highlighted horribly inside) because I figured if it was even a solid basic book then I could give it to someone I met who might be just starting out. But there are some statements in it that I just can't get over, and the rest of the information is very general stuff that you can find (and do find, almost word for word) on any number of beginner websites.

I have never had a problem with my BOS not being gifted. I have several, and none of them were gifted to me. I've never had a proper mentor either, although I have worked together with other people at times. I'm very much self-taught. I think that basics can be learned from books, and theory can be learned from books, but it is the doing and living what you read that makes one a witch.  
PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 5:28 am
kyndryana3
I'm the same way, so I end up reading a lot of stuff that is pretty bad. Even in some of the really bad ones, I can sometimes come up with bits and morsels that either I find interesting, or that spark an idea of something that would work for me. Sometimes it's worth dredging through things for those bits...sometimes it's not. On the whole, I take published books with a grain of salt. Then if I find bits that I like that sound reasonable, I try working with those bits. If they end up working for me, wonderful, if not, it's on to the next book!

Well I had picked up the SRW because I heard all the mixed reviews about it and I wanted to find out for myself what it was like.
Coming into the Light was because I started figuring out what path I was on and so while reading up on lore and whatnot I wanted to look into Egyptian magic as well.

I'm not going to force myself to read a book that is full of crap when the good stuff I can most likely find elsewhere. I have too much I still need to learn before I can just sit down and read something that's going to spike my blood pressure.  

X-Yami-no-Ko-X

Hallowed Prophet

11,850 Points
  • Friendly 100
  • Survivor 150
  • Timid 100

Erise Crewe

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 2:34 pm
X-Yami-no-Ko-X

1) Why did you spell magic with a 'k'?
2) They're only related if a witch made them related. Magic doesn't even have to involve other entities.

Oh you see that floating around a lot, that magic refers to magic tricks (which are really cool imo XD) slight of hand is still impressive to me, I think it takes a lot of skill. But supposedly it's not the same as witchcraft.

As for the book list Sanguina, been looking at sources both online and at a 1/2 price bookstore near my home. And yeah, the creepy ones were ebooks online. Sometimes I wonder if I'm suited for dabbling. I hear practicing requires a strong mind and body, don't know if it's true or not. Being spooked easily is something I'd consider to be a weakness xd  
PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 3:00 pm
Erise Crewe
Oh you see that floating around a lot, that magic refers to magic tricks (which are really cool imo XD) slight of hand is still impressive to me, I think it takes a lot of skill. But supposedly it's not the same as witchcraft.
Magic spelled with a 'k' is a Thelema thing. Crowley started it for the numerological meaning.

Having a bit of trouble finding the explainion on the meaning behind 'magick'.  

X-Yami-no-Ko-X

Hallowed Prophet

11,850 Points
  • Friendly 100
  • Survivor 150
  • Timid 100

Calelith

Apocalyptic Rogue

41,915 Points
  • Hellraiser 500
  • Abomination 100
  • Demonic Associate 100
PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 3:42 pm
X-Yami-no-Ko-X
Erise Crewe
Magic spelled with a 'k' is a Thelema thing. Crowley started it for the numerological meaning.

Having a bit of trouble finding the explainion on the meaning behind 'magick'.

Crowley added the k to change the gematria value of the word, so that it represented the female genitalia for his path.

If you don't need it to add up to 11 for the purposes of representing the female sexual fundament, or don't practice Thelema, the 'k' is really not necessary. The proper spelling of the word is simply 'magic'.

"There is nothing to fear when you have nothing to lose."

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 3:47 pm
Calelith

Crowley added the k to change the gematria value of the word, so that it represented the female genitalia for his path.

If you don't need it to add up to 11 for the purposes of representing the female sexual fundament, or don't practice Thelema, the 'k' is really not necessary. The proper spelling of the word is simply 'magic'.

Thank you *saves*  

X-Yami-no-Ko-X

Hallowed Prophet

11,850 Points
  • Friendly 100
  • Survivor 150
  • Timid 100

Calelith

Apocalyptic Rogue

41,915 Points
  • Hellraiser 500
  • Abomination 100
  • Demonic Associate 100
PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 3:48 pm
X-Yami-no-Ko-X
Calelith

Thank you *saves*

No problem

*~Reading Room~* (discussions on books/authors)

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games
Mini-Games