Welcome to Gaia! ::

~ Midnight Moon ~

Back to Guilds

~ for pagans, wiccans and witches ~ 

Tags: wiccan, witchcraft, paganism, wicca, heathenry 

Reply *~Forum~* (general discussion/questions)
How do you meditate?

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

How often do you meditate?
  More than once a day
  Once a day
  A few times a week
  Once a week
  I don't meditate at all
  None of the above
View Results

Erise Crewe

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 12:40 am
I was just wondering how you guys usually mediate, since there are different ways to do it I think. sweatdrop  
PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 4:44 am
I generally meditate every now and then, although I really would like to do it more often. Most of the time when I meditate I either do it lying down on my bed or sitting in the garden with my feet planted in the dirt.  

iKillCaustic

Ruthless Hunter

18,040 Points
  • Novice Mage 100
  • Nostalgic Scrapbooker 50
  • Friend of the Goat 100

Morgandria

Aged Shapeshifter

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 6:10 am
I practice both mindful meditation and a sort of no-mind meditation, similar to some types of zazen.

I can meditate just about anywhere, anymore. I don't do it very often, though. Sometimes before bed, if I am having trouble sleeping. But usually not.

It's a useful skill for some things, but I don't think of meditation as the be-all and end-all of my practices. It isn't the answer to all questions, and it's not always appropriate.  
PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 7:03 am
I have a simple meditation I do before bed every night, and have been doing for years (I'm creeping up on twenty now...yikes)

I also try to meditate during the day. I definitely find myself calmer when I meditate, but like many things, I get busy doing stuff around the house or what not and it can get forgotten.

I do both no-mind and visualization types of meditation. I like to meditate on my problems, where I just kind of dwell in what is bothering me and see what comes up. I don't always get solutions or actions to do, but the process helps me accept things as they are.

Before bed, I mediate laying down, and after yoga I will meditate laying down, but beside that I like to meditate sitting. I tend to sit in a half lotus (which is my natural sitting position, I try to sit like this almost always, even when in chairs which hardly ever works).  

kyndryana3

10,550 Points
  • Team Jacob 100
  • Hygienic 200

Esiris

Newbie Sophomore

10,300 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Popular Thread 100
PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 8:32 am
I did a lot of meditation while weeding and some while driving.
I also do some right before ritual to get myself ready.  
PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 8:10 am
I've tried meditating several times in the past and I just can't seem to get the hang of it. I can't seem to really clear my mind. As soon as I clear it, something creeps up and I start focusing on that. I'll start thinking about a book I'm reading, a fight I had with my boyfriend, or when I was in school, homework that I should be doing. I've tried focusing on my breathing, focusing on a fixed point, etc. I just can't seem to calm my mind down enough to do it.  

NekrotikKannibal

Morgandria

Aged Shapeshifter

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 8:37 am
NecroticCreepShow
I've tried meditating several times in the past and I just can't seem to get the hang of it. I can't seem to really clear my mind. As soon as I clear it, something creeps up and I start focusing on that. I'll start thinking about a book I'm reading, a fight I had with my boyfriend, or when I was in school, homework that I should be doing. I've tried focusing on my breathing, focusing on a fixed point, etc. I just can't seem to calm my mind down enough to do it.

1 - Are you centering and grounding before hand? Being properly centered, and having a good grounding can keep you from 'drifting off' the point.

2 - You may need to practice visualization during meditation, being mindful of one particular image or thought, rather than trying to practice empty-mind meditation. Try meditating to music that you find inspires the mood or energy you're trying to achieve.

3 - My brain can chatter for hours - even when I'm utterly exhausted and needing sleep it can be hard to get it to turn off.

When I started out, I tried all sorts of things to 'quiet' the mind. And the problem I found with most of them is that the idea seemed to be to just shut the chatter out, or ignore it. And it just doesn't work for me. I can't ignore it. Part of it is bird-brained anxiety. Part of it is paranoia, a lovely symptom of my bi-polar disorder. So I started using a technique that I recall reading somewhere as Zen (this was nearly 20 years ago so my memory isn't perfect there). This technique doesn't work for everyone, but it sure worked for me, and I do use it when I teach.

Your mind is a pond. It is smooth and calm and serene. Each thought is a pebble dropped into the pond - it sends ripples out along the surface. Don't try to stop the pebbles - just stay focused on the surface of the pond. We are not our thoughts. Let each thought fall into the pond. Let each ripple move past you and out, as you stay focused on the smoothness of the pond's surface. Eventually the pond becomes undisturbed, as you separate yourself from the movements of your thoughts.  
PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 8:54 am
Morgandria
NecroticCreepShow

1 - Are you centering and grounding before hand? Being properly centered, and having a good grounding can keep you from 'drifting off' the point.

2 - You may need to practice visualization during meditation, being mindful of one particular image or thought, rather than trying to practice empty-mind meditation. Try meditating to music that you find inspires the mood or energy you're trying to achieve.

3 - My brain can chatter for hours - even when I'm utterly exhausted and needing sleep it can be hard to get it to turn off.

When I started out, I tried all sorts of things to 'quiet' the mind. And the problem I found with most of them is that the idea seemed to be to just shut the chatter out, or ignore it. And it just doesn't work for me. I can't ignore it. Part of it is bird-brained anxiety. Part of it is paranoia, a lovely symptom of my bi-polar disorder. So I started using a technique that I recall reading somewhere as Zen (this was nearly 20 years ago so my memory isn't perfect there). This technique doesn't work for everyone, but it sure worked for me, and I do use it when I teach.

Your mind is a pond. It is smooth and calm and serene. Each thought is a pebble dropped into the pond - it sends ripples out along the surface. Don't try to stop the pebbles - just stay focused on the surface of the pond. We are not our thoughts. Let each thought fall into the pond. Let each ripple move past you and out, as you stay focused on the smoothness of the pond's surface. Eventually the pond becomes undisturbed, as you separate yourself from the movements of your thoughts.

I really like your method of not trying to block out the chatter but allowing it to come through instead. When I first became interested in meditation, everything I read all suggested the same thing, "clear your mind and relax". I have such a busy mind that, that's almost impossible for me to do. One technique I found suggested the following, "imagine your mind as a chalkboard with the events of the day written on it. Now, imagine yourself holding an eraser and wiping off the chalkboard". I tried that method since the book said visualization was good for beginners but, it didn't work for me.

I think later this evening before bed I'm going to try the idea of visualizing the pond. I think it would help me more to not try to block out the chatter in my brain. I think the problem is, when I try to block out the chatter, that's what I'm focusing on. I'm focusing on clearing out that chatter and then, by focusing on that, I really lose the whole point of meditation.

Hmm, I have never tried grounding and centering myself before meditation. I will definitely try that and see if it helps. I'm sure it was mentioned in one of the books I read but, as I discovered meditation at an early age (around 11 or 12 [I'm 23 now]), I wasn't sure what I was doing so I may have skipped that part. As an adult, however, I can figure it out and it will probably help.  

NekrotikKannibal

Morgandria

Aged Shapeshifter

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 9:26 am
NecroticCreepShow

Hmm, I have never tried grounding and centering myself before meditation. I will definitely try that and see if it helps. I'm sure it was mentioned in one of the books I read but, as I discovered meditation at an early age (around 11 or 12 [I'm 23 now]), I wasn't sure what I was doing so I may have skipped that part. As an adult, however, I can figure it out and it will probably help.

I like to ground because it gives me a rooted stability, but at the very least you should be centered if you're trying to meditate. If our internal energy is flying all around us as well as our thoughts, then there's little chance we'll manage to find a calm state of being.

http://www.witchscauldron.net/cauldron/center.htm - it's brief, but gives the basics of how I teach centering and grounding.

If you have problems centering for meditation, working this technique in can help - you simply have to visualize your pond being in the center, the core of your being. Let the ripples pass, and once the pond is calm, visualize all the energy in your body flowing into the pond, the energy in your body drawn there, into one balanced center. It's certainly easier if you can center yourself first, but sometimes we're just not that settled or calm. Sometimes we have to let a few things move on and past before we can find the center.

If you have problems grounding, there are some physical things you can do or have, that might help.

- You can literally hug a tree - or touch one, and visualize following its' roots into the ground.
- Put your hands in the dirt. I will often go outside and put both hands in my garden - this particularily helps if I'm feeling super-floaty or really disconnected.
- Carry a grounding stone; hematite, obsidian, onyx, jet, agates (moss agate in particular), most forms of jasper, garnet, smokey quartz, black kyanite, etc. You can experiment with different stones, too - some people find that certain stones are grounding for them, even if it's not typical of that stone; carnelian and copper come to mind.
- If you can't access the out of doors, but have a wooden staff present, rest it on the floor heavily (basically you're 'rooting' it) and use the staff the same way you might a tree. Even a wooden broom handle will work.  
PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 11:55 am
I've been doing mindful breathing... where you completely focus on your breath. It's actually rather difficult. XD But my mind wanders easily. So I especially use it at night when I need to calm my mind.. And it's amazing how relaxing evening out your breath can be.  

kage no neko

Invisible Phantom

8,500 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Bunny Hunter 100
  • Bunny Hoarder 150

Goddess Aidos

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 8:18 pm
When I first started to meditate, I had problems focusing, letting go of my thoughts. However, I found it easier, when I first just thought of my breathing, breathing in, then out. Also being a bit comfortable, but not overly comfortable and potential of falling asleep.
A quiet place is necissary, an alone place, by yourself, away from the world, with less noise, and distractions. I find that the only time to meditate is at night, when everyone in my house is asleep, i go into my room, and turn the world off.
Now the back to grounding myself.
First i focus on breathing, then I picture a ball of light where my heart would be, this represents my spirituality, my esences, or aura. My connection. It goes in and out to my breathing. Then I picture it flowing throughout my body, first my arm, to my fingers, then back up, down my left leg, my toes, etc. This helps me not only focus on one thought, one thing, but also to picture my source of energy. It works really well for me, and my heart rate lowers a lot. After I feel incredibly at ease, and relaxed, even better then a nights sleep.
Hope this helped out

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 4:18 pm
Not unlike Aidos, focusing was my weak point in meditation. Sometimes, it still is (particularly if I haven't done it for awhile).

I prefer silence when I meditate, and I turn off the lights. I light candles and incense. Sometimes, I do guided meditation, such as visualisation techniques. I visualize that I'm in a wooded area, or near a lake, usually. This is because some of the most meaningful, spiritual epiphanies I've had have been in such areas. Other times, I let the meditation do its own thing. I don't free my mind of thought, but rather, I let thoughts flit in and out. I don't focus on them; I just let them pass me by. I pretend there is a breeze blowing all my tension away.

And still other times, I hum while meditating. The tune is completely spontaneous.

If I can get out to a secluded area to meditate, I do. I prefer to be outdoors, as long as I'm away from prying eyes.  

Rebel_Dynasty

2,600 Points
  • Entrepreneur 150
  • Gaian 50
  • Dressed Up 200

User 27225319

Anxious Fairy

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 5:28 am
I usually combine yoga and meditation. So maybe once a month or so when I'm relaxing at home, maybe light some candles and take a warm bath I do some simple yoga positions but meditate while in the most simple positions.  
*~Forum~* (general discussion/questions)

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games
Mini-Games