Welcome to Gaia! ::

~ Midnight Moon ~

Back to Guilds

~ for pagans, wiccans and witches ~ 

Tags: wiccan, witchcraft, paganism, wicca, heathenry 

Reply *~Archives~* (BOS and resource room)
Table of Contents Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Monsieur Apothecary

3,800 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Flatterer 200
  • First step to fame 200
PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 7:09 pm
So I am putting all my old info into a new nice book that has 98 huge pages. How does this Table of Contents look? Did I cover it all?

Book of Shadows
ToB
1. Title
2. Blessing
3. Rede, Rule, etc.
4. Statement of Belief
5. God
6. Goddess
7. Esbats
8. Wheel of the Year
9. Samhain
10. Yule
11. Imbolc
12. Ostara
13. Baltane
14. Midsummer
15. Lughnasadh
16. Mabon
17. Symbols
18. Altar
19. Tools
20. Tools
21. Chants and songs
22. Chants and Songs
23. Chants and Songs
24. Chants and Songs
25. Moon Correspondences
26. General Astrology
27. Witches Pyramid
28. Palm Reading
29. Palm reading
30. Alphabets
31. Runes
32. Runes
33. Tarot
34. Tarot
35. Tarot
36. Tarot
37. Stones
38. Stones
39. Stones
40. Stones
41. Stones
42. Herbs
43. Herbs
44. Herbs
45. Herbs
46. Herbs
47. Teas
48. Teas
49. Tinctures
50. Tinctures
51. Meditation
52. Meditation
53. Animals
54. Animals
55. Fire
56. Earth
57. Air
58. Water
59. Spirit
60. Magic
61. Magic
62. Spells
63. Spells
64. Spells
65. Spells
66. Spells
67. Spells
68. Spells
69. Spells
70. Spells
71. Spells
72. Spells
73. Spells
74. Spells
75. Spells
76. Spells
77. Spells
78. Spells
79. Spells
80. Spells
81. Spells
82. Misc.
83. Misc.
84. Misc.
85. Misc.
86. Misc.
87. Misc.
88. Misc.
89. Misc.
90. Misc.
91. Misc.
92. Misc.
93. Misc.
94. Misc.
95. Misc.
96. Misc.
97. Misc.
98. Misc.  
PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 7:27 pm
Bro, you're gonna need like 50 pages for your rune work, aren't ya?  

Sanguina Cruenta
Vice Captain

Eloquent Bloodsucker

Monsieur Apothecary

3,800 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Flatterer 200
  • First step to fame 200
PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 7:28 pm
Sanguina Cruenta
I don't use runes that much I was just going to write down the basics.  
PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 7:30 pm
Monsieur Apothecary
Sanguina Cruenta

When it comes to runes, there really aren't any basics wink You're better off leaving them out entirely, imo. I mean why bother if you're not a Germanic Pagan, really?  

Sanguina Cruenta
Vice Captain

Eloquent Bloodsucker

Monsieur Apothecary

3,800 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Flatterer 200
  • First step to fame 200
PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 7:33 pm
Sanguina Cruenta
Monsieur Apothecary
Sanguina Cruenta

When it comes to runes, there really aren't any basics wink You're better off leaving them out entirely, imo. I mean why bother if you're not a Germanic Pagan, really?
True I guess I could leave them out. I just like having info in case I meet other witches I know what they are talking about. rofl  
PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 7:38 pm
Monsieur Apothecary
True I guess I could leave them out. I just like having info in case I meet other witches I know what they are talking about. rofl

Yeah but there's having info, and there's writing info into your pretty book.

Also, you have a HEAP of pages for spells but only one page each for your deities. That seems a bit ridiculous, given that this is a nice book you've bought... how are you going to fill in all your insights and interactions and experiences? Spells are spells, I mean if you write a particularly cool one you might want to make a note of it, but are you ever going to use precisely that spell more than a handful of times?  

Sanguina Cruenta
Vice Captain

Eloquent Bloodsucker

Monsieur Apothecary

3,800 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Flatterer 200
  • First step to fame 200
PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 7:42 pm
Sanguina Cruenta
Monsieur Apothecary

Also, you have a HEAP of pages for spells but only one page each for your deities. That seems a bit ridiculous, given that this is a nice book you've bought... how are you going to fill in all your insights and interactions and experiences? Spells are spells, I mean if you write a particularly cool one you might want to make a note of it, but are you ever going to use precisely that spell more than a handful of times?
Well most of my spells are very generic which you can use over and over. Also for insights and what not I have a book of mirrors. This is more a grimoire I guess. As for the god and goddess personal info of them is in my book of mirrors.  
PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 7:45 pm
But your write that does seem like a lot of pages for spells. I only ever use witchcraft like once every 3 or four months. The rest is just prayer and ritual.  

Monsieur Apothecary

3,800 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Flatterer 200
  • First step to fame 200

Sanguina Cruenta
Vice Captain

Eloquent Bloodsucker

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 7:53 pm
Monsieur Apothecary
Sanguina Cruenta
Monsieur Apothecary

Well most of my spells are very generic which you can use over and over. Also for insights and what not I have a book of mirrors. This is more a grimoire I guess. As for the god and goddess personal info of them is in my book of mirrors.

I've only ever seen "Book of Shadows" and "Book of Mirrors" used as different names for the same thing. What does "book of mirrors" mean to you?

And if you keep your deity stuff in another book, why replicate it here?  
PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 7:54 pm
Monsieur Apothecary
So I am putting all my old info into a new nice book that has 98 huge pages. How does this Table of Contents look? Did I cover it all?

Cover all of what, exactly? Every eclectic neo-pagan path is going to be slightly different from the other, and we have no way of knowing exactly what you practice unless you tell us.

I personally don't keep formal books of my own. I have my Wiccan books, hand-copied the traditional way from my coven's originals, but I don't use them in my personal practice. For that I have several binders worth of notes and essays, sorted by subject and/or usage. I keep the majority of it on my computer, and don't often reference my printed copies - the exception being my incense recipes, which are constantly used and updated. I also keep all my rough notes, as I like to be able to reference my process.

If you are constantly learning, and adding new sources, materials, and methods to your books, allotting just one or two pages to a subject may end up leaving you short. It's why I like binders. I can organize my finished notes and add to them endlessly, and I can still have handwritten journals full of rough notes, ideas, thoughts, and the working-through of concepts.  

Morgandria

Aged Shapeshifter

Monsieur Apothecary

3,800 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Flatterer 200
  • First step to fame 200
PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 7:55 pm
Sanguina Cruenta
Monsieur Apothecary
Sanguina Cruenta
Monsieur Apothecary

I've only ever seen "Book of Shadows" and "Book of Mirrors" used as different names for the same thing. What does "book of mirrors" mean to you?

To me my BoS or Grimoire is all of the witchcraft and magical work stuff. My book of mirrors is for all my ideas, beliefs, and visions and what not. At least that's the way the witch that taught me my path explained it so i stuck to it.  
PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 7:57 pm
Monsieur Apothecary
Sanguina Cruenta

To me my BoS or Grimoire is all of the witchcraft and magical work stuff. My book of mirrors is for all my ideas, beliefs, and visions and what not. At least that's the way the witch that taught me my path explained it so i stuck to it.

That's fine, but what does "book of mirrors" mean to you?

If your BoS is witchcraft and magical work, why do you have your holidays and gods mentioned? About half the assigned pages there are unnecessary if it's a magical work book.  

Sanguina Cruenta
Vice Captain

Eloquent Bloodsucker

Monsieur Apothecary

3,800 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Flatterer 200
  • First step to fame 200
PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 7:57 pm
Morgandria
Monsieur Apothecary

Cover all of what, exactly? Every eclectic neo-pagan path is going to be slightly different from the other, and we have no way of knowing exactly what you practice unless you tell us.

I personally don't keep formal books of my own. I have my Wiccan books, hand-copied the traditional way from my coven's originals, but I don't use them in my personal practice. For that I have several binders worth of notes and essays, sorted by subject and/or usage. I keep the majority of it on my computer, and don't often reference my printed copies - the exception being my incense recipes, which are constantly used and updated. I also keep all my rough notes, as I like to be able to reference my process.

If you are constantly learning, and adding new sources, materials, and methods to your books, allotting just one or two pages to a subject may end up leaving you short. It's why I like binders. I can organize my finished notes and add to them endlessly, and I can still have handwritten journals full of rough notes, ideas, thoughts, and the working-through of concepts.
Hmm you make a good point. But this book is bond so that you can add or take away pages that's why I decided to use it. I only said 98 pages because it is really hard to add or take away pages. perhaps i should use a binder though I will have to see that I can do. I am still new to the path so I am not sure how much info I am going to compile over the next couple of years. So you may have a good point.  
PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 8:02 pm
To me it seems like you're trying to fit a library into a single book- when you cover so many topics in such a little amount of space- the quality can suffer.  

Esiris

Newbie Sophomore

10,300 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Popular Thread 100

Morgandria

Aged Shapeshifter

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 8:06 pm
Monsieur Apothecary
Hmm you make a good point. But this book is bond so that you can add or take away pages that's why I decided to use it. I only said 98 pages because it is really hard to add or take away pages. perhaps i should use a binder though I will have to see that I can do. I am still new to the path so I am not sure how much info I am going to compile over the next couple of years. So you may have a good point.

Also, you may want to consider what I think San is trying to get you to think about: Witchcraft and paganism are separate entities, and not necessarily interconnected with one another. If you are attempting to keep a book about magic, it doesn't necessarily require any of your religious information, and vice-versa.

If your 'Book of Mirrors' is a ritual/dream/vision journal, and your 'Book of Shadows' is supposed to be your magical/witchcraft book, then you may need to consider a third book to separately record your religious component: invocations, rituals, lore, etc. regarding your religious path.  
*~Archives~* (BOS and resource room)

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff