Submit

Mads Hatter

Dapper Dabbler

10,350 Points
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Full closet 200
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 3:02 pm
What - or I suppose who - would you say is your favorite character(s) you have created so far? Like a character you were just very pleased with the outcome of and love writing about. What is it about these characters you like? What do you dislike? Was it hard or difficult to come up with them? I'm always interested to hear what other people think about their characters. (I apologize if this is in the wrong forum. I was taking a guess as the appropriate placement.)

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 5:46 pm
I find I always like the fun, easy-going characters, or the troll characters. Example: Zork. Probably the biggest jerk you will ever meet, and debatably evil. Yet I love him so much heart heart

As for the fun, easy-going ones, usually they end up having some sort of teasing quirks. Candida, in one of the stories I wrote, had a habit of making up incredibly accurate nicknames for people, and she was really amusing, unfortunately there was no room for her to be a main character....

And then there are a couple who have a tendency to tease and withhold information from the main character. Of course, they all had their reasons (for Nel is was for spite, for London she was protecting him (and teasing him by making him figure it out first) and for Mira, well it was partly because it was she was forbidden to, and partly because she simply liked harrassing the main character. sweatdrop

I don't know what it it, but I usually like writing the characters who cause some sort of problem for the main character, after all, every story needs a conflict, and there's nothing wrong with there being several of them~ I find these sorts of characters help provide dynamics between the different characters and the groups they are in.

Interestingly enough, I usually come up with them very easily. Most of the time, they just worm their way into my story out of nowhere.  

Dark Doe Alysse

Demonic Darling

22,440 Points
  • Cats vs Dogs 100
  • Bunny Hoarder 150
  • PAAANNNTTTSSS 100

Shearaha

Aged Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 5:17 am
I'm more of a world builder. Sadly most of my characters tend to be cut and paste sweatdrop

But my favorite world I ever built was Pythagora. There were 2 primarly dominate species. One was psycic, but physically weak. They built cities and weapons to protect themselves and rarely left the walls of their cities. The others were physically strong, quick witted reptilians. They lived primarily underground in networks of tunnels. They were strictly regimented and very violent.  
PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 5:22 am
I'm not sure I can pick out bits I like about them and bits I don't; they're organic wholes to me.

Overall I enjoy reading about and writing for your archetypal grizzled Noir P.I. Just because they're drunken cunts, you know? You hafta love 'em.  

Sanguina Cruenta

Eloquent Bloodsucker

Mads Hatter

Dapper Dabbler

10,350 Points
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Full closet 200
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 9:02 am
I think one of my favorite characters I've created is Eden (she's the girl in my sig). She's basically insane, which makes her really fun to write about. Plus overall I just think she's adorable. Overall, I love very childish characters, just because there's something about the naive sort of innocence they have that's really fun to develop and write about.  
Writers' Keep - Novels, short stories

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games