Welcome to Gaia! ::

~ Midnight Moon ~

Back to Guilds

~ for pagans, wiccans and witches ~ 

Tags: wiccan, witchcraft, paganism, wicca, heathenry 

Reply *~Common Room~* (chatterbox, life, socializing)
Book of Something Something Something?

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Dr. H. Lecter

Dangerous Prophet

7,800 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Flatterer 200
  • Member 100
PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 7:45 pm
A friend and I were talking about pagan crafts a few days ago, and when I mentioned my Book of Shadows, he became uncomfortable. I ignored it, but he eventually asked if I practiced 'black' or evil magic. I assured him I did not, and asked why he would think such a thing. He felt that calling my Book of Shadows as such implied it.

I told him that I called it a Book of Shadows for a reason, and that was not because I was toying with satanism or some such. I explained that a shadow is the direct result of light contacting an object. In this instance, the object in question was my knowledge of withcraft. And so, my book was a reflection of sorts.

This made me think: what do you call your book? Is there a reason? Do you hold it special, or is it simply a tool? I'd love to know your opinions on the matter.  
PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 8:22 pm
It doesn't have a proper name at the moment. I'm using "book of shadows" sort of as a placeholder. Not that it has anything in it anyway.

I like the term "book of mirrors" but didn't think it appropriate. I've toyed with terms like "book of leaves" and "book of the pathway" and so on. Book of maps, book of lines, book of patterns... I rather like "book of walking", and "book of shadow", no S, makes a lot more sense on my path than book of shadows with the S.  

Sanguina Cruenta
Vice Captain

Eloquent Bloodsucker

X-Yami-no-Ko-X

Hallowed Prophet

11,850 Points
  • Friendly 100
  • Survivor 150
  • Timid 100
PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 9:42 pm
Same with me, with Book of Shadows being a place holder. I just haven't really put much thought into a name yet. I've more been focused on what's been going in it and learning more. Sometime down the line I'll probably come up with something better for it.  
PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 9:45 pm
Thats interesting.

I considered calling my book a Grimoir, but was unsure of the common use of the word. I heard it a few ways, anywhere from being described as "a book used by witches and pagan folk, filled with spells of illusions and spirits" to "a book containing knowledge on summoning demons"

Until I have more solid info, I'm gonna keep with my Book of Shaddows.  

Dr. H. Lecter

Dangerous Prophet

7,800 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Flatterer 200
  • Member 100

oOGarrettOo

Greedy Conversationalist

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 9:47 pm
I'll likely be both obvious and vague and simply call it "Book." I would like to make up for this by making it a highly obnoxious, antiqued tome.

That is, when my life is stable enough for me to part my focus into anything else at the moment. I don't have any reason to start recording my craft right now, so I'm not worried about it. But that's what I'd like to do when the time comes.  
PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2012 8:53 am
I call mine Book of Shadows.

I also have what I call my Book of Light. The concept was based off of something that I read about the origin of the term Book of Shadows. I don't know if there was any authenticity to the original information, but I liked the name Book of Light, and keep inspirational poetry in it.

I tend to hear the name Book of Mirrors for more introspective things: dream journal, meditation journal or the like. I guess I have something like that, I have a separate notebook for journal entries relating to my path, but I don't actually call it anything.

Ultimately, most of the time I only talk about my books to other people of similar persuasions, so I don't have to worry about what non-practicing people would infer from the name Book of Shadows.  

kyndryana3

10,550 Points
  • Team Jacob 100
  • Hygienic 200

iKillCaustic

Ruthless Hunter

18,040 Points
  • Novice Mage 100
  • Nostalgic Scrapbooker 50
  • Friend of the Goat 100
PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 4:44 am
Mine is a Book of Shadows...mainly because I cannot think of anything other than Book of Words and that in itself I think sounds a bit...well...bloody obvious.  
PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 1:27 am
I call it a book of shadows for lack of a more fitting name. Also I feel the name is more to explain it to other people, I don't think I have a need for it to have a name otherwise.  

Vlad T

Dapper Cultist

Angel Bruja

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 4:53 pm
Vlad T
I call it a book of shadows for lack of a more fitting name.

I do the same. If I ever think of another name, I'll change it.  
PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 4:59 pm
Gardner is said to have taken the name 'Book of Shadows' from an article opposite an advertisement for his novel 'High Magic's Aid' in an occult magazine. He liked it, so he used it. It's supposed to refer to a Sanskrit manual for divination using the length of a person's shadow, originally.  

Morgandria

Aged Shapeshifter

Musical_Vampire_Socks

27,300 Points
  • The Sweetest 250
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Converting 100 items 100
PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 8:21 pm
Well I printed out a sheet to add to the front when I first started making it it said "Book Of Shadows" in pretty font but that just didn't seem right to me....
so i wrote under it "And Light"...
that's all I have really thought about it...  
PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2012 9:59 pm
i just call mine "my book" (i'm so creative like that, lol) but nothing else really fits because it has a little bit of everything in it, from recipes and crafts to alphabets and charts that i'll never use. a lot of the things i have in it are just for easy reference.  

whiporwill-o

Moonlite__Syren

Cunning Hunter

10,200 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Tycoon 200
  • Wall Street 200
PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 2:49 am
at the moment i use a ring bound notebook with a picture of a beagal puppy on the front lol. eventually id like to move it into an actual leatherbound journal. but until then i dont really treat it as anything special. i havent even blessed it, gave it funny symbols on the first page or anything. its just merely easy access to referencing. but now that youve mentioned this i just might take it into consideration until i get a better journal.  
*~Common Room~* (chatterbox, life, socializing)

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games
Mini-Games