Welcome to Gaia! ::

Craftin' - A sewing, knitting and glue kind of place.

Back to Guilds

Reply Tutorials
Self Fringing Scarf

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Crimson_Rose86

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2006 9:45 pm
OK, I posted these instruction in the main forum but I thought I should post them here as well.

Cast on 6 stitches.
Knit 1, on the next stitch knit in the front and the back, place a stitch marker, knit 4 stitches.
Purl next row.
For the rest of the scarf, knit until the stitch before the stitch marker, knit in the front and the back, then knit across. Purl the next row.
The scarf should steadilly increase.
When you have used half of your yarn (it's easy to notice if you are using 2 or 4 balls of yarn) the pattern changes slightly.
Now, you stop 2 stitches from the stitch marker and knit them together.
Continue to purl every other row.
Continue this until you end up with 6 stitches again and are on your knit row.
Bind the first two stitches by knitting them together.
Now comes the fun part. Do not knit the remaining 4 stitches. Pull them off the needle and carefully unravel them. Don't worry, it will only unravel the bottom 4 stitches all the way across. You will end up with a fringe along the bottom of your scarf.

These scarves are really easy to make and look really cool. I will definitely be posting pictures of them. If anyone has questions I'd be happy to try and answer them.  
PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 10:27 am
what needles/yarn weight/gauge do you need?  

gemini6184

Crimson_Rose86

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2006 11:38 am
gemini6184
what needles/yarn weight/gauge do you need?

I'm sorry, I should have thought about that. The gauge isn't really important since it's a scarf. You just increase until it's half as long as you would like, then decrease. I've found that this pattern works better on large needles. I use size 15 needles (very large). As far as yarn weight, it really doesn't matter. The original pattern said that you should use ribbon yarn. I like to use eyelash yarn because it's fuzzy and looks cool. I would use anything but normal yarn on this project. ^.^  
PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2006 8:35 pm
i'm curious to see pictures, do you have any yet?  

firrantello

Crimson_Rose86

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 1:12 am
OK, so I completely forgot to post a pic. Here is a pic of a scarf I made several years ago from this pattern.
User Image  
PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2006 9:34 pm
Wow, that's so cool! I was having a little trouble visualizing what the scarf would look like with just the knitting instructions, but this definitely solidifies it. I might try to make one in the future! (Although I'm knitting impaired... sweatdrop )  

Iyou

knitting_needle_ninja

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2006 5:29 pm
I've been wanting to try something like that for a while, but I could never remember what the stitch was that kept it all from unraveling. Thank you!  
PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 5:26 pm
Crimson_Rose86
OK, so I completely forgot to post a pic. Here is a pic of a scarf I made several years ago from this pattern.
User Image

that is soo cool, i also found a "fringy" scarf in keyhole type, multipe too so you can have it at various length and for the yarn you just get soem shiney fabric fro teh fabric store and jsut start cutting it to strips and such and type together na dthe frewys make the fuzzy frnges, but i rather do your pattern i think its more organiz.ed.  

Kanhoro

SaelensFrozenFlame

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 11:03 pm
I'm actually working on a modified version of this pattern for a scarf for a friend of mine who is going to be getting the finished product, and i'm also making a smaller version for her dog...  
Tutorials

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games