Welcome to Gaia! ::

Japanese Academy

Back to Guilds

A virtual classroom where beginners can learn to read and write Japanese. New students welcome! 

Tags: Japanese, Academy, Japan, Learn, School 

Reply Japanese Academy
I need/ Someone else needs

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Deity Psymon

Newbie Noob

17,075 Points
  • Alchemy Level 10 100
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Conventioneer 300
PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2012 9:58 pm
I haven't quite learned this yet, but I've found myself being unable to complete sentences because I'm not sure how to say this, lol. So how would you probably say I need _________ or someone else needs __________?  
PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 9:22 am
Watashi(watashi can be exceptional) (item you want) wo tsukaimasu kudasai. You can also use hoshii if you want to sound cute/childish.  

Acobjum

Intellectual Lunatic

10,600 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Citizen 200
  • Person of Interest 200

Silverfin

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 10:17 am
Acobjum
Watashi(watashi can be exceptional) (item you want) wo tsukaimasu kudasai. You can also use hoshii if you want to sound cute/childish.

This translates to "I please use this." Not really what you're going after. Also, "hoshii" is want, not need.

Instead, what you want to say is [item]が必要です(ga hitsuyou desu) / [item]が要ります (ga irimasu). "hitsuyou" is an adjective meaning "necessary", and irimasu (plain form iru) is the verb meaning "to need."  
PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 1:09 am
Silverfin
Acobjum

This translates to "I please use this." Not really what you're going after. Also, "hoshii" is want, not need.

Instead, what you want to say is [item]が必要です(ga hitsuyou desu) / [item]が要ります (ga irimasu). "hitsuyou" is an adjective meaning "necessary", and irimasu (plain form iru) is the verb meaning "to need."

If speaking for someone else, though, I assume that が would become を?I believe it changes with ほしい when you're speaking of what someone else wants, so I just assumed there would be some change with needing something, too.  

Deity Psymon

Newbie Noob

17,075 Points
  • Alchemy Level 10 100
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Conventioneer 300

Silverfin

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 8:05 am
Deity Psymon
Silverfin
Acobjum

If speaking for someone else, though, I assume that が would become を?I believe it changes with ほしい when you're speaking of what someone else wants, so I just assumed there would be some change with needing something, too.

No, since hitsuyou is an adjective, you use the subject marker が instead of the object marker を, and いる always takes が. The sentence would be [person]は[thing]が必要です/いります。 The reason for this is that いる translates closer to "is needed" rather than "needs" so the subject is the thing that's needed rather than the person.
The main change with "hoshii" is that you use the verb "hoshigaru" instead of the adjective "hoshii" when you're talking about someone else, along with using を instead of が.  
Japanese Academy

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games