Welcome to Gaia! ::

~ Midnight Moon ~

Back to Guilds

~ for pagans, wiccans and witches ~ 

Tags: wiccan, witchcraft, paganism, wicca, heathenry 

Reply *~Forum~* (general discussion/questions)
Symbolic and Prophetic Dreams- is it the dream or dreamer?

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Do you believe in prophetic dreaming?
  Yes- it's happened to me/someone I know
  Yes I believe it even without personal experiences
  No it's just a myth
  I believe a dream can tell you about the present not the future
  None of the above
View Results

Erise Crewe

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 5:14 pm
I have some really random cracked up dreams and I usually chalk it up to them being completely random. Sometimes it's about my daily life, sometimes my deepest fears, and some are just plain insane. I personally have never really believed in dream interpretation outside of the obvious (dreaming about failing school, dying, etc just just obviously fears manifesting during sleep times).

[wall of text personal problem skip if uninterested] But I've been having some family drama lately, and my mom was really freaking me out. She said that her and my grandmother both dreamt about me the same night. In her dream my skin was light blue like a corpse, and in my grandma's dream my hands were dripping with blood. sweatdrop Assuming it were true and she wasn't just being a @)#(*!)@ to scare me (my mom's many things but she's for the most part honest), it bothers me more than I let on. I've been struggling with the possibility of having serious health problems the past few years (I haven't developed anything yet just high risk), it's a constant fear of mine even though I don't talk about it that much- I don't really want to worry the family and friends. :sigh: My family subtlely blames me for my mother's endometrial cancer... because I put so much stress on her since i'm such a big disappointment to everyone stare So.. I can't help but wonder if it means I'm going to die crying (been reading too much of a song of ice and fire, and they have prophetic dreams in it haha) or if the universe is blaming me for my mother's cancer. I don't think she made the story up it sounds really suspicious given my background but if it were true, do you think it means anything? Will my obsessing over it make it any more/less true?! scream Neither my mom or grandma have any background with the occult/divination and no history of having prophetic dreams outside of superstition.

Do you believe that dreams can be prophetic? Do you think that the message lies with the dream, or the person who dreams it? (ex. Do you believe that only certain people can have prophetic dreams, or that any dream can be prophetic depending on the message?) Do you believe that some of your dreams are memories of a past life? What's the craziest most nonsensical dream you've had?  
PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 8:33 pm
I think prophetic dreams are only as good as you find them useful- the dream and it's imagery isn't important, it's the message you take away from the dream and in cases like that you don't even have to remember the dream itself- just what you feel and learn  

Esiris

Newbie Sophomore

10,300 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Popular Thread 100

X-Yami-no-Ko-X

Hallowed Prophet

11,850 Points
  • Friendly 100
  • Survivor 150
  • Timid 100
PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 9:23 pm
Now that I was actually able to focus long enough to actually read I can answer.

I think dreams, overall, are a mix of things. Sometimes I'll have dreams showing me what I'm really worried about. Sometimes I'll have a dream that will end up causing me deja vu later. Sometimes I'll have dreams that will in some way warn me about something. Though most of the time my dreams just don't have any deeper meaning. Or if they do I just don't pay much attention to it.

I personally don't try to analyse my dreams. That would take too much from them. I love dreaming and I don't want to ruin what my mind has come up with trying to pick the dream apart to see if there's a deeper meaning. Not saying there aren't ones that I'll sit down and think about though.  
PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 6:11 pm
Erise Crewe

Do you believe that dreams can be prophetic?

Yes.

Quote:
Do you think that the message lies with the dream, or the person who dreams it?

I think very few people have prophetic dreams and I think even in people who have them, they are not common.

I think the big question is whether a dream is a prophetic dream and if prophetic whether it is literal or symbolic.

What defines a prophetic dream? In your case is the only indication that both your mother and grandmother dreamed of you the same night? Were the dreams exactly the same? Has anything happened that might have triggered the same worry or thought in their head?

Personally I tend to dis-belief rather than belief, so I'd doubt the dreams were prophetic. I don't know what proof I'd need to start seriously consider a dream prophetic but I think I'd need some kid of distinct pattern that's different than a the person's normal dream pattern. I'd be more open to the idea if the person claiming it to have a prophetic dream had a history in divination and was very attentive to the finer details between his or her personal worries and emotions and a possible message.

Even so, there could be a problem in interpretation and I think most forms of divination only show a possible future not an absolute.

Quote:
(ex. Do you believe that only certain people can have prophetic dreams, or that any dream can be prophetic depending on the message?)

This actually jogged a side story from when I first started dream journaling. I noticed that I picked up a lot from people's tone and gestures that I wasn't fully processing until later and in my subconscious I'd fixate on these bits and create very realistic dreamscapes that often predicting stuff that would happen based off this information. It was similar to prophetic dreaming but was different to me for various reasons I don't think are relevant to current discussion.

The point is that people pick up and play out a lot of different things in their sleep and perfectly mundane coincidences can come together to mean all sorts of things. This is even more likely to happen when the imagery is upsetting or worrying or vivid.
Quote:
Do you believe that some of your dreams are memories of a past life?

Nope.  

blindfaith^_^

7,200 Points
  • Popular Thread 100
  • Brandisher 100
  • Tycoon 200

Erise Crewe

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 2:50 pm
blindfaith^_^

What defines a prophetic dream? In your case is the only indication that both your mother and grandmother dreamed of you the same night? Were the dreams exactly the same? Has anything happened that might have triggered the same worry or thought in their head?

sweatdrop Honestly I'm just scared/worried easily. I'm worried about it the same way that I worry about leaving the bathroom door open when I fall asleep at night (it's a fengshui thing). It's a sort of.. back of your mind irrational superstitious fear. But the part that bothers me the most is that they both had the dream in the same night.

My dreams never make any sense. The one I had the night before involved my friend trying to kill me by throwing me off the top of a skyscraper after a pokemon related dispute. sweatdrop What's funny is people say you wake up when you're falling but in the dream I hit the ground, didn't die, called an ambulance, they thought it was a prank call because I wasn't dead (was experiencing some back pain irl and it was in the dream from the you know falling 35 stories and not dying) .. yeah all my dreams are on that level of insanity. My boyfriend asks me how many kilos of crack I smoke before I fall asleep but I don't do any sort of illegal drugs at all crying so it's just a running joke between the two of us  
PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2012 3:47 pm
I agree with Esiris and X-Yami-no-Ko-X.
Sometimes I've had dreams that end up being like deja-vu and sometimes had no deep meaning. Symbols may be something or they don't.
And I think that the message is important. You may have to analyze the dream and think about what the, most important, individual symbols mean to you, but it's what it all means together is what matters.  

Angel Bruja

broken_bleeding_angel

Desirable Sex Symbol

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 11:28 pm
Quote:
Do you believe that dreams can be prophetic?

Yes. I have prophetic dreams myself, though they are a mix of symbolism and literal.

Quote:
Do you think that the message lies with the dream, or the person who dreams it? (ex. Do you believe that only certain people can have prophetic dreams, or that any dream can be prophetic depending on the message?)

It depends on the person really. It'll always be up to the dreamer to interpret it, unless they tell their dream to someone else who can. But most of the time you wont understand the dream until what your dream was telling you, happens.

Honestly, I think anyone who is open to them can have one. Will they be able to interpret them and understand them? Probably not. They'll most likely chalk it up as a "weird dream" and leave it at that.

Quote:
Do you believe that some of your dreams are memories of a past life?

I wouldn't doubt it. If there's past life regression sessions that you can take then there is most certainly a chance that you can dream of it as well. That is unless your soul is new to life, then there would be none.

Quote:
What's the craziest most nonsensical dream you've had?

What does this have to do with prophetic dreams?  
PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2012 3:55 pm
Firstly, I don't think your mother's health problems are your fault. If her health problems have any connection to you what-so-ever, it is because of how your mom handles these situations; not you directly. This is just my opinion.

On to the questions:

Do you believe that dreams can be prophetic? Yes, I do. I believe dreams can also contain insights into things in the present, and even unlock things we didn't understand about our own pasts.

Do you think that the message lies with the dream, or the person who dreams it? (ex. Do you believe that only certain people can have prophetic dreams, or that any dream can be prophetic depending on the message?) A little bit of both. Even if the dream doesn't come true, and that the cause of the dream is that you were subconsciously thinking of something, I believe the dream can still have some importance. I believe the person who dreams such dreams-whether they be prophetic, from the subconscious mind, or warning you of something currently taking place-is tapping into a source of power, whether that power be their own, or connected to the "network", so to speak.

Do you believe that some of your dreams are memories of a past life? I'm not sure. I do remember a reoccurring dream I had about five years ago, involving a star-crossed love affair between an upper crust man, and a middle class woman. The clothing was very vivid, as was their unfortunate deaths (they died in a burning mansion). This dream certainly felt real, and I couldn't think of anything that would have triggered it otherwise. However, it doesn't necessarily have to be a past life; for all I know, I saw someone else's.

What's the craziest most nonsensical dream you've had? This is pretty hard to nail down; I have crazy dreams a lot. I'd give examples, but it would lead into rambling. ^^;  

Rebel_Dynasty

2,600 Points
  • Entrepreneur 150
  • Gaian 50
  • Dressed Up 200
*~Forum~* (general discussion/questions)

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games
Mini-Games