Yes i love his novels its to die for!
  I read his stories time to time.
  Who the hell is that?
  neutral.
View Results

Seri Dreams

Benevolent Phantom

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2006 3:47 pm
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.
Do any of you read his stories?
Do you read his poems?

Quick Biography:
Edgar Allan Poe was a famous American poet, short story writer, journalist, and literary critic who lived from 1809-1849. He was born in Boston on January 19th, 1809 and was orphaned at an early age, after which he was sent to live with a foster family (The Allans) in Richmond. He was never officially adopted by the Allans and he was eventually disowned by the family.

Poe won a short story contest in 1833, and two years later became a literary critic for the magazine (The Southern Literary Messenger). Shortly after, he then married his 13-year-old cousin, Virginia in 1836. He became nationally famous upon the publication of his poem The Raven in 1845.

His life was marred by infrequent but intense drinking bouts which gave him a bad reputation. However, he continued to produce excellent short stories (Murders in the Rue Morgue, The Gold Bug) which brought him acclaim in America, England, and especially in France. Many of Poe's stories take place in Paris. (The French poet Baudelaire translated many of Poe's works)

Unfortunately, after the death of Poe's wife (1847), he fell apart and died two years later on October 7, 1849. Poe's controversial life and reputation have earned him the following comments no less:

With the aid of his psychological stories, critics have proclaimed him necrophilic, dipsomanic, paranoid, impotent, neurotic, oversexed, a habitual taker of drugs, until all that is left in the public eye is an unstable creature sitting gloomily in a dim room, the raven over the door, the bottle on the table, the opium in the pipe, scribbling mad verses.

Comments: If you read his stories there dark, open, and very interesting to read my favorite short story is " the raven".

Come here Poe fans!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2006 4:04 pm
I've read a lot of poe's work. Most of it, actually.
Two of my favorites were "A cask of Amontillado." and "The Taletell heart."
Not sure if I got those names exactly right, but I do beleive that's what they're called.  

DieiNoctis

Acerbus nox noctis

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2006 5:03 pm
"Telltale Heart" and "Annabel Lee" (the one is a poem) are both good.  
PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2006 5:09 pm
Annabel Lee and The masque of the red death are my favorites  

nerdlover08

Rosen_Rot

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2006 9:13 pm
yo. I've read like 25 peices by him... all were like twisted or just pure awesomeness  
PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2006 11:57 pm
I read his biography last year. He had a pretty interesting life, and he died mysteriously which makes me wonder....
I enjoy his poetry and short stories, make me happy xp  

Ms. Chaos

Icy-Determination_020

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2006 1:40 am
One of the greatest writers ever... I love to read his stuff even though I havent gotten to read much of it sweatdrop  
PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2006 2:37 am
I like Poe's work. It's just disapointing that for such a great american poet, a lot of people will only ever know of "The Raven"  

2on

lastemoon

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2006 5:41 am
I like the one about bells, Annabell lee, Masque of the Red death but one of my favs is definately the Black Cat.  
PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2006 9:35 am
I say that for fiction, Lovecraft generally blows Poe out of the water. For poetry, on the other hand, it's no contest.
Favs: The Masque of the Red Death; The Cask of Amontillado; Al Arraf; the City in the Sea; and Ligeia.  

Captain_Wow

~:[I Heart Maury]:~

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2006 10:47 am
I've only read The Teltale heart and the Black Cat, which so far are the best pieces of writing I've ever read. As for his poetry Ive read Lenore, Alone, Romance, and The Raven. Alone is my absolute favorite! heart  
PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2006 11:45 am
I love Poe. I think my favorite poem is Israfel, and my favorite short story is The Masque of the Red Death....although i haven't read nearly enough of poe....  

myredsecret

Soprano in Cyberland

Friendly Conversationalist

5,250 Points
  • Friendly 100
  • First step to fame 200
  • Elocutionist 200
PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2006 4:43 am
I love the poems Raven and Annebelle Lee,The story the tell-tale heart,is extremely interesting.  
PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2006 9:39 am
I haven't read even half of his writing yet because I've been behind in studying for a test for chorus class.(i'm switching to choir) But I've read about 1/4 and I love it all.
If i had to say my favorite poem is Romance or A Valentine  

Thida Fxcking Tragedy++

Egyptian Goddess9

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2006 3:15 pm
I like, no love Edgar Allen Poe, but my english teacher made us do research on him, and...let's just say that wasn't too fun for me.

I like his poems "The Raven" (of course, the classic), "Annabel Lee" , "The Conquorer Worm" , "Tell Tale Heart", and some others...
I got a little book with tons of his poems in it

~ Main Forum ~

Goto Page: 1 2 3 ... 4 5 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces