Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Sims Guild

Back to Guilds

A guild for all things Sims created by Maxis/EA. 

Tags: simulation, god games, story telling, custom, Sims 

Reply Sims Q&A and Help
TS2 - My cat won't/CAN'T eat pet food??

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Celestial Fireflies

Witty Autobiographer

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2012 11:29 pm
cєℓєsтιαℓ ғιʀєғℓιєs:

Soo, I adopted a cat. Bought a cheap little bowl, filled it up. Cat's hungry, refuses to eat. I made sure it wasn't facing the wall. I cleaned it and refilled it. Nothing. I was REALLY hoping to not use cheats, but since the cat's dying of hunger, I had to fill its hunger bar manually. :l

I figured it was the bowl, this cat is finicky. So I bought the next kind. Same story. So I bought the fanciest kind. Refuses to eat, is on the verge of starvation again!

So I trained her to come when called, and I commanded her to eat it. *Nothing*. Now I'm really getting ticked off because I have to keep using cheats to keep her from dying. My sim calls her, she acknowledges it and stops whatever she's doing, but then the command disappears from both of their screens (he's no longer making her eat, she's no longer going to the bowl). I stacked the command several times, each time it just disappears as soon as he calls her and she goes back to whatever she was doing.

Then, I turned on pet control. I hovered my mouse over each food bowl (which by now, I've replaced, cleaned, refilled all three). Nothing. It says there's no action available for them. I moved all three out to the middle of the lot with NOTHING blocking any of the sides.

And, finally, I trained her to eat pet food through commanding her to eat leftovers on the counter and then scolding her. Behavior learned, STILL will not or can not eat from the bowls.

This is all very annoying, I'd rather not have to get rid of the cat or cheat. I saved and exited out of the lot, returned, and still had the same problem. Saved and exited the game, still the same problem. I'm going to try disabling all of my mods, but if that fails I have no idea what next. Any ideas?

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2012 3:45 am
At first I thought the bowls were the wrong way because apparently the green arrow faces the wrong way on TS2 pet bowls.
Obviously it isn't that.
Have you tried getting the cat to eat on a community lot or a different cat to eat on a different lot?
I'm wondering if maybe your lot or the cat have become corrupted somehow.
Testing without mods would be a great place to start though.  

Menaceman

Tricky Hoarder

11,450 Points
  • Jack-pot 100
  • Grunny Grabber 50
  • Rebuilder 100

Celestial Fireflies

Witty Autobiographer

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2012 3:51 pm
Menaceman
At first I thought the bowls were the wrong way because apparently the green arrow faces the wrong way on TS2 pet bowls.
Obviously it isn't that.
Have you tried getting the cat to eat on a community lot or a different cat to eat on a different lot?
I'm wondering if maybe your lot or the cat have become corrupted somehow.
Testing without mods would be a great place to start though.
cєℓєsтιαℓ ғιʀєғℓιєs:

Hm. So I took out the mods, and she still can't eat from the bowl. I tried a new lot with one sim and a created pet, and it can eat from a bowl. Clickable and everything. So I thought maybe it's a problem with adopted pets. Nope, adopted a cat and a kitten and they both can eat from the bowl.

I want to do some more testing on the actual lot but I don't know how to do that without compromising my sim. :S It was a legacy-esque lot, so I wanted to play it start-to-finish. I was thinking of moving out my sim and seeing how that works out.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2012 4:01 pm
cєℓєsтιαℓ ғιʀєғℓιєs:

Whatever it was, I just ended up moving out my sim and moving him back in. Seems to have fixed it. The good thing was it was still a very basic house, so all I have to do is cheat a little bit of money in there and get things back the way they were.

No idea what caused it. D: As annoying as it is to have to cheat back to where I started I guess I'll just consider it glitch fixing. :[

Edit: This is getting extremely frustrating! It randomly works, then doesn't work, then randomly works again. I haven't been able to find any consistent solutions (sometimes buying a new one works, sometimes it doesn't; sometimes calling the cat to eat works, sometimes it doesn't; sometimes there will be no problems for a few sim days and then all of a sudden it's starving).

I don't have enough patience to figure out what's wrong with the stupid cat so I might just get rid of it and call it a night.

Celestial Fireflies

Witty Autobiographer

Menaceman

Tricky Hoarder

11,450 Points
  • Jack-pot 100
  • Grunny Grabber 50
  • Rebuilder 100
PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 12:09 pm
That is annoying. sad
Sometimes these things just seem to happen for no apparent reason.
I hope your Sim gets on alright without their cat.  
PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 3:58 pm
Menaceman
That is annoying. sad
cєℓєsтιαℓ ғιʀєғℓιєs:

He cried softly when they took Iris away and I felt *so* terrible I almost reloaded the save. But after she was gone he got over it pretty quickly.

I think I took it harder than my sim did. Curse my empathy. I love my cats. Haha.

Celestial Fireflies

Witty Autobiographer

Irina96

Quotable Singing

13,675 Points
  • Hygienic 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Person of Interest 200
PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 1:32 am
Celestial Fireflies
Menaceman
That is annoying. sad
cєℓєsтιαℓ ғιʀєғℓιєs:

He cried softly when they took Iris away and I felt *so* terrible I almost reloaded the save. But after she was gone he got over it pretty quickly.

I think I took it harder than my sim did. Curse my empathy. I love my cats. Haha.

maybe trying to get him a new cat now? maybe the problem will be fixed with the new one! don't let him be lonely  
Sims Q&A and Help

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games