Reply The Japanese Guild
Katakana Question

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Spooky_Donkey

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2006 4:43 pm
How come in katakana "so" and(ソ) "n"(ン) look so similar? How do you tell the difference? confused Same for tsu and shi. ツ tsu シ shi  
PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2006 7:33 pm
I had the same question, but I couldn't answer it either. I hope you get your answer. I just remember that N is more straight and the 'eye' is more curved, and in Shi and tsu it's the same thing.  

Nyxiaus`

chinotenshi

Tipsy Lunatic

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2006 9:19 pm
Why they look similar, I can't answer. NagaiKami might be able to.

But how to tell the difference, that I can do biggrin I pulled out my fudepen (brush pen) to make it easier

User Image

The top two are "so" and "n". if you look at "so" you can see that the "eye" goes down and the "smile" is thicker at the top. This thick part is where it starts. The "n" has the "eye" going across-ish and the "smile" starts at the bottom. This is VERY DIFFICULT to read on a computer, and takes a lot of practice to get used to sweatdrop

The "shi" and "tsu" are almost the same as "so" and "n". "shi" has the "eyes" going across and the "smile" starting at the bottom, while the "tsu" has the "eyes" going down and the "smile" starting at the top.

Did that help any?  
PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2006 4:03 pm
Yeah this helps a lot. Thanks. biggrin  

Spooky_Donkey

chinotenshi

Tipsy Lunatic

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2006 6:49 pm
Glad I could help ^^ If I had a chart that showed the kanji that the hiragana and katakana characters were modified from, I'd be able to explain why they look similar, but sadly I lack such a chart...  
PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2006 2:38 am
Katakana is the devil alphabet. I've always had trouble with this writing system. Anyway, I'll check the source kanji for those later on, but for the moment I have the most basic explanation for any issues you may have about katakana:

It was made by men.  

Nagaikami

Devoted Seeker

10,250 Points
  • Forum Junior 100
  • Befriended 100
  • Full closet 200

HotaruTomoeIAA

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2006 2:58 pm
This seems right to me...

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

Please click the image to get to the website from which that image was stolen. whee

...Still doesn't make much sense to me. xd

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2006 7:47 pm
HotaruTomoeIAA
This seems right to me...

...Still doesn't make much sense to me. xd

Hmmm... my book has some small differences in the source kanji.  But it tends to reference more complicated Chinese characters which I don't know the reading for (and I'm too lazy to look them up at the moment.)

When I'm on again later, I'll compare our charts. 90% of them are the same though. And like I said, all doubts about katakana are simply answered when you remember who made it.  

Nagaikami

Devoted Seeker

10,250 Points
  • Forum Junior 100
  • Befriended 100
  • Full closet 200

Haku of Kirigakure

Benevolent Prophet

11,650 Points
  • 50 Wins 150
  • Lavish Tipper 200
  • Cheercrusher 50
PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2006 9:14 pm
Imagine my trouble with my name having ン in it.
My name: デミエン  
The Japanese Guild

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff