Welcome to Gaia! ::

Anime Conventions: The Global Connection

Back to Guilds

A guild dedicated to sharing/discussing conventions, cosplay, anime, and manga from across the world 

Tags: Convention, Cosplay, Anime, Crossplay, Manga 

Reply Convention Experiences & Running Panels/Conventions Info
Best cosplay experiences/ Stories

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Pearlescent Priestess

Bashful Healer

18,200 Points
  • Divine Donator 100
  • Frozen Solid 200
  • Battle: Cleric 100
PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 10:21 pm
Feel like sharing a story about some cosplayers you met that were really awesome? Have a story about how awesomely in character you or your friends were without meaning to be? Have a time where every single person you saw recognized and acknowledged you? Have a generally awesome story about something cosplay related? Post it here~

Let's share awesome stories that some people might relate to~!

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 10:44 pm
Okay, okay, I'll start~

I was going to a concert at Sakura-con last year with some of my friends as Mayuri Shiina. I was going to meet them in the line-up and we were all being Steins;Gate characters. (I apologize for bringing up my Steins;Gate cosplay so much... it was just so much fun~!) Upon arriving at the room that said "Main stage line-up", I wasn't entirely sure if I was in the right room, so I asked the closest staffer if this was the line-up for the Stereopony concert. He nodded and pointed to the end of the line, and I thanked him and was about to be on my way over there, when I saw someone bolting towards me. I quickly recognized him as my friend who was cosplaying Okabe, so I did a very Mayuri-esque, big, outstretched wave and called "Oookariiin~" As soon as he got to me, he grabbed my wrist and bolted off in the direction he came from as fast as he could .I was kind of stumbling, trying to keep up with him because I actually can't run as fast as he was going and as soon as we got back to where our Ruka was sitting in the priority wristband only section of the line, he sat down and I sat down beside him. He proceeded to place one of the wristbands on my arm in a way that it could be taken off and placed on someone else from our group and called it "future gadget #11".

It was all very very in character even though as we were talking about it afterwards, we concluded that only the Okarin wave and the future gadget armband were supposed to be in character. It was definitely one of my best memories from Sakura-con as Mayuri. My only regret was that no one got it on tape, though people did notice it. (Which leads me to my next shorter story.)

When we got up and were filing into the theatre for the concert, the three of us passed by some other Steins;Gate cosplayers and all of them, with impeccable timing, said "Tu-tu-ru~ ☆" at the same time. (Mayuri's catch phrase) I'm also pretty sure the group was comprised of a couple of Okarins, a Daru and some other guys. But I'm pretty sure all of them were guys. It was pretty great!

Sorry for the terribly long post. I just wanted to post this somewhere before it became lost in the haze that is my memory.

Pearlescent Priestess

Bashful Healer

18,200 Points
  • Divine Donator 100
  • Frozen Solid 200

BlauerMond13

IRL Conventioneer

7,200 Points
  • Nerd 50
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Conventioneer 300
PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 7:05 pm
I love it whenever someone asks me "Hey, weren't you the [character] at [convention]?"
It feels awesome that somebody actually remembers and recognized me (Heehee~ And it makes me feel kind of famous~ cool )  
PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 11:34 pm
Aww~ That's definitely a great feeling. biggrin  

Pearlescent Priestess

Bashful Healer

18,200 Points
  • Divine Donator 100
  • Frozen Solid 200

Cariella

Questionable Shopper

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2012 9:32 am
A couple years ago, I had all my cosplay friends in my musical theater class at school, and on days that we weren't doing anything, we'd sit in the costume room in the old theater and work on cosplay stuff.
It was a lot of fun!

There's a decent amount of cosplayers at my high school, and we always get featured in the Halloween section of the yearbook every year. C:  
PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 11:03 pm
Hmm best moment I had was when I cosplayed at the Honolulu Festival earlier this year. The Honolulu Festival is a big cultural festival celebrating eastern cultures and cosplaying is highly encouraged. So I went as one of my favorite characters and it was also the costume I had just did some major upgrades so I wanted to take it out for a spin, The Shadow. The character is pretty old and obscured character originating in 1930s as a radio series and then a comic book, so I didn't really expect anyone to recognize me. So I was hanging out with my friends and they all got recognized and people were smiling and happy to see them and most people were kind of wondering who this scary guy in all black and a red scarf is supposed to be. Well it was near the end of the day and one guy began to totally trip out when he saw me. He was really excited to see someone dress up as The Shadow. It was such a great feeling I got recognized! But what really made my day was when this older gentleman came up to me and recognized my character. This was really cool because he told me he remembers listening to the original radio series when he was a kid. We talked a little and he looked really happy to see my character. That really made my day.  

Commander Iowa

O.G. Bloodsucker

6,890 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Battle: Knight 100
  • Happy Birthday! 100

Pearlescent Priestess

Bashful Healer

18,200 Points
  • Divine Donator 100
  • Frozen Solid 200
PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2012 2:45 pm
@ Cariella: That sounds amazing! 4laugh Sounds like you guys had a lot of fun.

@ Commander Iowa: Awesome! It's always exciting when less known characters get recognized, especially because when they do get recognized, the people who recognize them get really excited too. biggrin

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 12:42 pm
I actually wrote the story about my first (and only) cosplay down~
http://achetarin.deviantart.com/journal/My-first-cosplay-300986913#comments
(it's also entered in a contest but don't mind that if you don't feel like voting~)  

Acheta

Gracious Hunter

8,475 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Ultimate Player 200

Extreme Cuddler
Crew

Sparkly Sex Symbol

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 9:06 pm
okay so my story is about my very first con, this was in 08.
I like telling this story I think its just about the weirdest thing that can happen at a con, and I know it gets a bit pg13 but it is a weird experience for me not sure if its good or bad.
So I was at my hotel room with the door closed (with the hindge holding it from closing all the way) so I was waiting for a friend he had no key and told me he would be arriving in about 30 minutes to an hour.
So I am there playing video games, when these 2 young girls walk in, not sure how old they were and don;t know their names, so they walk in and take off their clothes, walk up to me and start rubbing up on me. I was so confused and did not know what to do I just asked who they were and they said they were the best thing that would happen to me during this con, they kisses my cheek I told them I was busy playing video games and that they looked to young for me. They pleaded for a good moment, I said I am going to take a shower when I come back you guys either have to explain to me whats going on or leave. So when I came out they were passed out naked on the bed that I was sitting on. I did not know what to do, so I just left for 15 minutes when I came back they were gone and so was their clothes.  
PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2020 3:46 pm
La Petite Medic
Okay, okay, I'll start~

I was going to a concert at Sakura-con last year with some of my friends as Mayuri Shiina. I was going to meet them in the line-up and we were all being Steins;Gate characters. (I apologize for bringing up my Steins;Gate cosplay so much... it was just so much fun~!) Upon arriving at the room that said "Main stage line-up", I wasn't entirely sure if I was in the right room, so I asked the closest staffer if this was the line-up for the Stereopony concert. He nodded and pointed to the end of the line, and I thanked him and was about to be on my way over there, when I saw someone bolting towards me. I quickly recognized him as my friend who was cosplaying Okabe, so I did a very Mayuri-esque, big, outstretched wave and called "Oookariiin~" As soon as he got to me, he grabbed my wrist and bolted off in the direction he came from as fast as he could .I was kind of stumbling, trying to keep up with him because I actually can't run as fast as he was going and as soon as we got back to where our Ruka was sitting in the priority wristband only section of the line, he sat down and I sat down beside him. He proceeded to place one of the wristbands on my arm in a way that it could be taken off and placed on someone else from our group and called it "future gadget #11".

It was all very very in character even though as we were talking about it afterwards, we concluded that only the Okarin wave and the future gadget armband were supposed to be in character. It was definitely one of my best memories from Sakura-con as Mayuri. My only regret was that no one got it on tape, though people did notice it. (Which leads me to my next shorter story.)

When we got up and were filing into the theatre for the concert, the three of us passed by some other Steins;Gate cosplayers and all of them, with impeccable timing, said "Tu-tu-ru~ ☆" at the same time. (Mayuri's catch phrase) I'm also pretty sure the group was comprised of a couple of Okarins, a Daru and some other guys. But I'm pretty sure all of them were guys. It was pretty great!

Sorry for the terribly long post. I just wanted to post this somewhere before it became lost in the haze that is my memory.

That kind of sounds super cute really.  

angelmage99
Vice Captain

Liberal Ladykiller

22,940 Points
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Full closet 200

angelmage99
Vice Captain

Liberal Ladykiller

22,940 Points
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Full closet 200
PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2020 3:50 pm
I tend to cosplay a lot of characters from lesser known anime. I always get really excited when people recognize my characters.

The last con I went to I was dressed as Charmy from Black Clover and I also was volunteering while dressed as said character. My main task were to get people food and so I was feeding food dressed as Charmy. A lot of people got really excited and said stuff like "Mana Food."  
PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2021 12:08 am
Commander Iowa
Hmm best moment I had was when I cosplayed at the Honolulu Festival earlier this year. The Honolulu Festival is a big cultural festival celebrating eastern cultures and cosplaying is highly encouraged. So I went as one of my favorite characters and it was also the costume I had just did some major upgrades so I wanted to take it out for a spin, The Shadow. The character is pretty old and obscured character originating in 1930s as a radio series and then a comic book, so I didn't really expect anyone to recognize me. So I was hanging out with my friends and they all got recognized and people were smiling and happy to see them and most people were kind of wondering who this scary guy in all black and a red scarf is supposed to be. Well it was near the end of the day and one guy began to totally trip out when he saw me. He was really excited to see someone dress up as The Shadow. It was such a great feeling I got recognized! But what really made my day was when this older gentleman came up to me and recognized my character. This was really cool because he told me he remembers listening to the original radio series when he was a kid. We talked a little and he looked really happy to see my character. That really made my day.
Reminds me of my very first cosplay. I did Bluezam from Beet the Vandel Buster (I have yet to see anyone else to cosplay from the series and not sure if anyone has heard of it). I did a poor cosplay of it, armor from cardboard, cheap cloth, spray hair color, (AKA the newbie collection). I was pretty bummed that not one person recognized the character, until I was literally heading out the door to go back to the hotel and someone asked "Hey, are you the guy from Beet the Vandel Buster? I really like that series!" Just that was enough to validate it and because of that one interaction I continued to cosplay.  

slapthefatcat2

Attacking Fatcat

27,050 Points
  • Unbreakable Bond 150
  • Alchemy Level 10 100
  • Partygoer 500
Convention Experiences & Running Panels/Conventions Info

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items