Welcome to Gaia! ::

Anime Conventions: The Global Connection

Back to Guilds

A guild dedicated to sharing/discussing conventions, cosplay, anime, and manga from across the world 

Tags: Convention, Cosplay, Anime, Crossplay, Manga 

Reply Convention Experiences & Running Panels/Conventions Info
What do you do the month of a convention? & misc. Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

How long till your next con?
  Less than a month
  Too long!
  Next few months
  $ Gold $
View Results

oTrissa

7,850 Points
  • Beta Gaian 0
  • Friendly 100
  • First step to fame 200
PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 3:08 pm
What do you do the month before going to a convention?
I'm having a hard time holding in my excitement, I'm becoming impatient, haha.

Right now I'm trying to finish 4 half done costumes and I only have a half a month to do so. (My job prevents me from going to the house I sew at often, as well as distance.) I'm surprised I didn't procrastinate super long this year.

How many of you tend to end up doing last minute costumes the month before a con or hell, as I've done even the night (or a few nights) before the con?
What do you do in preparing for a con the nights before, whether you stay in a hotel or just drive to the con everyday?
What things do you bring with you to the con to keep busy in lines or just spice up your stay?

I'm having a bit of trouble deciding what I am going to pack. I travel out of state for my favorite convention. smile

(Side note - we need more topics I come here and only see the same threads)

I'm curious too, what is everyone's favorite convention to go to?
&& How long does it take you to get into full cosplay generally?  
PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 7:34 pm
Ah~ I'm going to Fanime next week. I'm so excited, but so freaked out because I still have some things to finish on my costumes! I don't normally have these last minute costume emergencies, so this is new for me. xp

When preparing for a con, I tend to try to drink a bottle of water per day and wash my face a lot more. I'd hate it if something unwanted showed up on my face on a day I want to look faaabulous~ dramallama

I always bring along my DS/3DS since there are a ton of people that keep theirs on. One time I stayed in a hotel and found many people who kept their Pokemon Black/White C-gear on, and this was just the hotel and not even the con! blaugh

As for favorite conventions, I suppose Fanime is my favorite. It's the biggest convention I normally attend, and this year I get to stay in a hotel for the whole weekend! whee
(Oh, but in terms of favorite con you ever went to, I would say Anime Expo 2011 since I got to go to the Hatsune Miku concert. Omg, I could talk about that so much, it was so great and fun and asdfghjkl~ emotion_bigheart emotion_bigheart emotion_bigheart emotion_kirakira )  

BlauerMond13

IRL Conventioneer

7,200 Points
  • Nerd 50
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Conventioneer 300

oTrissa

7,850 Points
  • Beta Gaian 0
  • Friendly 100
  • First step to fame 200
PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 9:42 pm
BlauerMond13
Ah~ I'm going to Fanime next week. I'm so excited, but so freaked out because I still have some things to finish on my costumes! I don't normally have these last minute costume emergencies, so this is new for me. xp

When preparing for a con, I tend to try to drink a bottle of water per day and wash my face a lot more. I'd hate it if something unwanted showed up on my face on a day I want to look faaabulous~ dramallama

I always bring along my DS/3DS since there are a ton of people that keep theirs on. One time I stayed in a hotel and found many people who kept their Pokemon Black/White C-gear on, and this was just the hotel and not even the con! blaugh

As for favorite conventions, I suppose Fanime is my favorite. It's the biggest convention I normally attend, and this year I get to stay in a hotel for the whole weekend! whee
(Oh, but in terms of favorite con you ever went to, I would say Anime Expo 2011 since I got to go to the Hatsune Miku concert. Omg, I could talk about that so much, it was so great and fun and asdfghjkl~ emotion_bigheart emotion_bigheart emotion_bigheart emotion_kirakira )

What costume are you making / finishing?
That's a good idea. Definitely another level of being prepared. You should try and drink more than one bottle of water every day though, lol.

Haha yeah. That's surprising (but yet not too).
I don't bring any systems with me ever, possibly as I don't have any games really but whatever. (I only have two games for my DS so I haven't played it in years)

Where is Fanime? I've heard a lot about it lately. (Probably because it's coming up)
Staying in the con hotel is the best! I am in a 3rd overflow hotel for my con this year, it sucks. It's a drive away I believe. I'd much rather a short walk. I do not like holding all my stuff or leaving things in the trunk of a car that's not even mine in the hot sun in the middle of an iff-y area.

A hatsune miku concert sounds fun.  
PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 10:12 pm
I usually have grand plans for my cosplay and then throw them together the night before...

as for the month or so before I spend my time making buttons and fleece hats and other trade-ables that I can use as bargaining chips to get what I want. It works great.  

MisaMaiValentine

7,100 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Somebody Likes You 100
  • Flatterer 200

BlauerMond13

IRL Conventioneer

7,200 Points
  • Nerd 50
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Conventioneer 300
PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2012 1:20 am
oTrissa
I'm making/finishing the Pokemon Black/White female trainer and the female player char from Harvest Moon: Tale of Two Towns 3nodding

Fanime is in San Jose, California. It's always really fun to go to~ whee  
PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2012 2:24 pm
most of the things i do are last minute, @.@ but to a con I always take this big gym bag which I call my snack bag its packed with cookies and juice which I eat while I wait for my hotel room to be ready.
My 1st cosplay was way last minute, I did it during the night 0 of the con in my hotel room and finished it only for it to tear the next day by people poking at it.  

Extreme Cuddler
Crew

Sparkly Sex Symbol

Wielder of Mighty Pencil!

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2012 2:25 pm
The month before the con? Frantically try to finish the costumes I was procrastinating over before, of course!  
PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 4:11 pm
BlauerMond13
oTrissa
I'm making/finishing the Pokemon Black/White female trainer and the female player char from Harvest Moon: Tale of Two Towns 3nodding

Fanime is in San Jose, California. It's always really fun to go to~ whee
Sounds cool. Yeah I hear the cons in cali are pretty good usually. There seems to be a lot going on there though always. (Which is a good thing)  

oTrissa

7,850 Points
  • Beta Gaian 0
  • Friendly 100
  • First step to fame 200

oTrissa

7,850 Points
  • Beta Gaian 0
  • Friendly 100
  • First step to fame 200
PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 4:18 pm
Extreme master of flames
most of the things i do are last minute, @.@ but to a con I always take this big gym bag which I call my snack bag its packed with cookies and juice which I eat while I wait for my hotel room to be ready.
My 1st cosplay was way last minute, I did it during the night 0 of the con in my hotel room and finished it only for it to tear the next day by people poking at it.
Isn't that annoying to carry around all day?
That's really shitty. One of the reason's I don't really like wearing long things there is I'm afraid it will get torn.

I am going to be waiting in a line while waiting for my hotel hopefully, although I can't count on that because the person who is driving me to the hotel is very incompetent, as well as the rest of the people I am going with. So I probably won't even end up waiting for the hotel as I assume we will be late again this year.  
PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 4:19 pm
The month before the con? Frantically try to finish the costumes I was procrastinating over before, of course!
The only reason I procrastinate is I have to drive to my mothers house to sew, I don't have a car and I work a ton, not a very easy thing to get done.
Seems like a lot of people do it last minute though.  

oTrissa

7,850 Points
  • Beta Gaian 0
  • Friendly 100
  • First step to fame 200

Extreme Cuddler
Crew

Sparkly Sex Symbol

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 4:34 pm
oTrissa
Extreme master of flames
That's really shitty. One of the reason's I don't really like wearing long things there is I'm afraid it will get torn.

I am going to be waiting in a line while waiting for my hotel hopefully, although I can't count on that because the person who is driving me to the hotel is very incompetent, as well as the rest of the people I am going with. So I probably won't even end up waiting for the hotel as I assume we will be late again this year.
I don;t carry it all day, I have it with me in the lobby and I snack, I usually go to the hotel day 0 of the con then I drop it off in my room then I go make line for my ticket so that day 1 I won;t have to wait and I can go straight to doing con stuff.  
PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 6:32 pm
Extreme master of flames
oTrissa
Extreme master of flames

I don;t carry it all day, I have it with me in the lobby and I snack, I usually go to the hotel day 0 of the con then I drop it off in my room then I go make line for my ticket so that day 1 I won;t have to wait and I can go straight to doing con stuff.
Oh that reminds me I should get my badge the day before the con too.  

oTrissa

7,850 Points
  • Beta Gaian 0
  • Friendly 100
  • First step to fame 200

Extreme Cuddler
Crew

Sparkly Sex Symbol

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 6:40 pm
oTrissa
Extreme master of flames
oTrissa
Extreme master of flames

thats always a good idea, better to do it the day before then the day of the con  
PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 6:56 pm
Extreme master of flames
oTrissa
Extreme master of flames
oTrissa
Extreme master of flames

thats always a good idea, better to do it the day before then the day of the con
Yeah if I can actually get a ride the day before though.  

oTrissa

7,850 Points
  • Beta Gaian 0
  • Friendly 100
  • First step to fame 200

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 4:43 pm
oTrissa
The only reason I procrastinate is I have to drive to my mothers house to sew, I don't have a car and I work a ton, not a very easy thing to get done.
Seems like a lot of people do it last minute though.

My problem is that I make lots of costumes, and they're not just for whatever convention is coming up, so I'm always getting distracted by other projects, because of course they all look like more fun than the one with the nearest deadline...  
Convention Experiences & Running Panels/Conventions Info

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff