Welcome to Gaia! ::

~ Midnight Moon ~

Back to Guilds

~ for pagans, wiccans and witches ~ 

Tags: wiccan, witchcraft, paganism, wicca, heathenry 

Reply *~Forum~* (general discussion/questions)
sacrifices and offerings

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

RedHairjoe

2,650 Points
  • Gaian 50
  • Member 100
  • Dressed Up 200
PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2012 1:32 pm
I know that offerings do have a part in a lot of people's rituals and the offerings take countless different forms for countless different people. But what I'm curious about is some of the little details and examples about offerings.

I have read that offerings of food and drink given back to nature can count as an offering but I've read from a few personal sources (blogs etc.) of people placing significant objects either personal to the worshiper or associated with the deity in question (ex. jewelry, art and anything).

What I'm curious is....If I place a token, lets say a ring, on the alter as an offering of devotion and after a period of time I happen to remove said token. Is that action acceptable? To remove an object from an alter after a certain time, perhaps by accident or even by necessity?

What if I offered a monetary sum but the next day needed it for lunch money? lol

So please pass along some knowledge and feed back about offerings.

And if you feel comfortable why not add a bit of a story of offerings that you all do at your altars (if you want to...)  
PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2012 2:02 pm
caesar821

What I'm curious is....If I place a token, lets say a ring, on the alter as an offering of devotion and after a period of time I happen to remove said token. Is that action acceptable? To remove an object from an alter after a certain time, perhaps by accident or even by necessity?
Wouldn't that depend on the god?

Quote:
What if I offered a monetary sum but the next day needed it for lunch money? lol
I see this kind of thing a lot- so there's a book called A Book of Pagan Prayers, it might help because it has a chapter about offerings.

My take is that I don't offer anything I can't afford to offer- but that's just me.

You might also want to watch what you offer- like in lots of kinds of paganism alcohol is offered. However- you shouldn't offer alcohol to Obatala, because it's forbidden. I'm not familiar with Egyptian paganism all that much, but I've seen and heard stuff about not offering some kinds of animal products to them.  

Esiris

Newbie Sophomore

10,300 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Popular Thread 100

RedHairjoe

2,650 Points
  • Gaian 50
  • Member 100
  • Dressed Up 200
PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2012 2:06 pm
Esiris
caesar821

Wouldn't that depend on the god?

Quote:
I see this kind of thing a lot- so there's a book called A Book of Pagan Prayers, it might help because it has a chapter about offerings.

My take is that I don't offer anything I can't afford to offer- but that's just me.

You might also want to watch what you offer- like in lots of kinds of paganism alcohol is offered. However- you shouldn't offer alcohol to Obatala, because it's forbidden. I'm not familiar with Egyptian paganism all that much, but I've seen and heard stuff about not offering some kinds of animal products to them.

cool. thanks for your input smile  
PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2012 3:25 pm
caesar821

I have read that offerings of food and drink given back to nature can count as an offering but I've read from a few personal sources (blogs etc.) of people placing significant objects either personal to the worshiper or associated with the deity in question (ex. jewelry, art and anything).

I often create physical objects as offerings. What exactly can or can't be given depends on the gods and the culture involved. Some deities are repelled by particular things, or consider them offensive.

Quote:

I wouldn't call it an offering to do so. Once you give something to a deity it belongs to them and them alone. You may be able to borrow it - I create regalia for invocation rituals - but likely only for a specific reason or purpose. The regalia belongs to the deity, not to any person, but priesthood may borrow and wear it when they act as a vessel for the deity.

It's better to maybe ask for a blessing or consecrate the item for your personal use, if you intend to take it back for any reason. It can stay on the altar or shrine and charge when not in use.

For example: We did a Bríd invocation ritual some years back. I created a set of regalia for the rite, except for a crown, which another coven member was making. He wanted to take the crown home after the ritual and keep it on a shrine, instead of it remaining with the rest of the regalia. During the ritual Bríd removed it, and it fell apart.

I guess what I'm saying is that you can't keep for yourself what you intend to give as a gift.

Quote:

Some Gods don't give a damn about money, and might be offended. Others need and value money, and would keep it, and it shouldn't be spent on anything but that deity's needs.

A lot of pagan paths function on a reciprocal gift-for-gift basis. If you want to receive, you will need to give. If you are constantly taking back what you give, the Gods will cease giving anything in return. They need or want the initial input to generate output.

I keep a Hermes shrine. He is a deity who likes monetary offerings, especially if they're of metal coins. You can make offerings to Hermes, and later on may use that money for things you need. My coven restricts that usage to needed items for coven; others might not. The idea is that Hermes increases the money you offer him, so there's always more coming in, and you can spend it because spreading it around also attracts more money. You shouldn't let the flow stagnate.

Quote:
And if you feel comfortable why not add a bit of a story of offerings that you all do at your altars (if you want to...)

Basic offerings in my household include candles, incense, clean water, preferred beverages, and flowers. On special days or for special needs I might add food, jewelry, music, or art to those offerings.  

Morgandria

Aged Shapeshifter

RedHairjoe

2,650 Points
  • Gaian 50
  • Member 100
  • Dressed Up 200
PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2012 3:50 pm
Morgandria
caesar821

I often create physical objects as offerings. What exactly can or can't be given depends on the gods and the culture involved. Some deities are repelled by particular things, or consider them offensive.

Quote:

I wouldn't call it an offering to do so. Once you give something to a deity it belongs to them and them alone. You may be able to borrow it - I create regalia for invocation rituals - but likely only for a specific reason or purpose. The regalia belongs to the deity, not to any person, but priesthood may borrow and wear it when they act as a vessel for the deity.

It's better to maybe ask for a blessing or consecrate the item for your personal use, if you intend to take it back for any reason. It can stay on the altar or shrine and charge when not in use.

For example: We did a Bríd invocation ritual some years back. I created a set of regalia for the rite, except for a crown, which another coven member was making. He wanted to take the crown home after the ritual and keep it on a shrine, instead of it remaining with the rest of the regalia. During the ritual Bríd removed it, and it fell apart.

I guess what I'm saying is that you can't keep for yourself what you intend to give as a gift.

Quote:

Some Gods don't give a damn about money, and might be offended. Others need and value money, and would keep it, and it shouldn't be spent on anything but that deity's needs.

A lot of pagan paths function on a reciprocal gift-for-gift basis. If you want to receive, you will need to give. If you are constantly taking back what you give, the Gods will cease giving anything in return. They need or want the initial input to generate output.

I keep a Hermes shrine. He is a deity who likes monetary offerings, especially if they're of metal coins. You can make offerings to Hermes, and later on may use that money for things you need. My coven restricts that usage to needed items for coven; others might not. The idea is that Hermes increases the money you offer him, so there's always more coming in, and you can spend it because spreading it around also attracts more money. You shouldn't let the flow stagnate.

Quote:

Basic offerings in my household include candles, incense, clean water, preferred beverages, and flowers. On special days or for special needs I might add food, jewelry, music, or art to those offerings.

this really helped a lot, thanks!  
PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2012 11:55 pm
caesar821
I have read that offerings of food and drink given back to nature can count as an offering

Definitely depends on the pantheon for this one. The Egyptian deities get offended if you offer food and you don't consume it.

Quote:

In my experience, the deities I've offered to prefer when I use the items as long as I've maintained their purity standards when I go to put the items back. I got sick while wearing the necklace that Sekhmet claimed and She wasn't having that. I got the stern "You will clean that before putting it back."  

X-Yami-no-Ko-X

Hallowed Prophet

11,850 Points
  • Friendly 100
  • Survivor 150
  • Timid 100

RedHairjoe

2,650 Points
  • Gaian 50
  • Member 100
  • Dressed Up 200
PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2012 5:17 am
X-Yami-no-Ko-X
caesar821
I have read that offerings of food and drink given back to nature can count as an offering

Definitely depends on the pantheon for this one. The Egyptian deities get offended if you offer food and you don't consume it.

Quote:

In my experience, the deities I've offered to prefer when I use the items as long as I've maintained their purity standards when I go to put the items back. I got sick while wearing the necklace that Sekhmet claimed and She wasn't having that. I got the stern "You will clean that before putting it back."

interesting story but its a wonderful perspective for me to learn  
PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2012 7:30 pm
On my altar I have offerings that stay there and don't get removed. I also have offerings that get placed on my altar for a bit and then get consumed.

The offerings that stay on my altar are stones, shells, coral, candles, incense, and a beautiful mermaid incense burner (the candles and incense to get replaced eventually).

The offerings that get placed on my altar and then are consumed are bottles of alcohol. I usually have a bottle of wine, rum, or tequlia on my altar. xd  

HorsesOfTheNight

RedHairjoe

2,650 Points
  • Gaian 50
  • Member 100
  • Dressed Up 200
PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 5:57 am
HorsesOfTheNight
On my altar I have offerings that stay there and don't get removed. I also have offerings that get placed on my altar for a bit and then get consumed.

The offerings that stay on my altar are stones, shells, coral, candles, incense, and a beautiful mermaid incense burner (the candles and incense to get replaced eventually).

The offerings that get placed on my altar and then are consumed are bottles of alcohol. I usually have a bottle of wine, rum, or tequlia on my altar. xd

wine, rum or tequila??? I wanna party with you and your deity lol XD  
PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 6:04 am
caesar821
HorsesOfTheNight

That's what he likes! Lol! Vodka not so much.... xd  

HorsesOfTheNight

RedHairjoe

2,650 Points
  • Gaian 50
  • Member 100
  • Dressed Up 200
PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 6:08 am
HorsesOfTheNight
caesar821
HorsesOfTheNight

hahaha who is the "he" that is asking for booze as an offering?  
PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 6:09 am
caesar821
HorsesOfTheNight
caesar821
HorsesOfTheNight

Poseidon  

HorsesOfTheNight

RedHairjoe

2,650 Points
  • Gaian 50
  • Member 100
  • Dressed Up 200
PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 6:11 am
HorsesOfTheNight
caesar821
HorsesOfTheNight
caesar821
HorsesOfTheNight

Poseidon

really? I would have guessed Bacchus or someone along those lines....who knew Poseidon drank some hard core stuff??? lol

how did you reach the conclusion of giving those drinks for Poseidon?  
*~Forum~* (general discussion/questions)

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games
Mini-Games