Welcome to Gaia! ::

GGN Moderators' Guild - NOW OPEN

Back to Guilds

We are a guild of Captains, Vice Captains, and Crew helping out those of similar rank in need and working with developers to improve guilds. 

Tags: Captain, Vice Captain, Crew 

Reply Resources & Discussion
How do I lead my PC-gamer guild?

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Grudgehammer

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 9:08 pm
http://www.gaiaonline.com/guilds-home/the-pc-brotherhood/g.382769/

1. My guild will not be about elitism or console bashing.
2. It will be a friendly environment.
3. For time being, it will have no religious or political discussion.
4. It will have no trolls or "1337" speakers.

How can I lead this?  
PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 12:45 am
Generalise and make it a gamers guild.

You'll get more members.

You're kind of limiting all the talking points, console wars exist and if they're well moderated can lead to some amusement.

Politics and region, again, are things that if well moderated can be interesting (Esp. if you're going to talk about either or in games).  

Pilotslover

Seeker

12,050 Points
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Elocutionist 200

Grudgehammer

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 9:27 pm
Pilotslover

You're kind of limiting all the talking points, console wars exist and if they're well moderated can lead to some amusement.

I tried going that route by using the meme "PC Master Race". I tested this out in my old PC-gamer thread within the VGD. People were getting offended.

Also this man was an influence in the decision: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_OkwAcKtQQY&feature=results_video&playnext=1&list=PL360BBCCC8E21E798

However, unlike the dude in that vid, I do not want to be a troll. I would be using the "PC Master Race" meme lightheartedly.

If I could get some assistance in running this guild, then I will go back to this format.  
PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 1:34 pm
Have you considered diversifying?

It just seems the sensible way to get more users.  

Pilotslover

Seeker

12,050 Points
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Elocutionist 200

Grudgehammer

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 6:10 pm
Pilotslover

There are plenty of other guilds dedicated to console gaming.

This will be filling a niche.

All I need is someone trustworthy from this guild to help me with my own. I'll make whoever volunteers a vice captain (at least a temporary one).  
PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 12:39 am
Grudgehammer
Pilotslover

All I need is someone trustworthy from this guild to help me with my own. I'll make whoever volunteers a vice captain (at least a temporary one).

If I could see the merits of PC gaming I'd volunteer but I'm afraid to say that I have and always will be a console gamer.

You know, you could try running a monthly topic type thing that would explore more controversial issues.  

Pilotslover

Seeker

12,050 Points
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Elocutionist 200

Grudgehammer

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 7:11 am
Pilotslover
Grudgehammer
Pilotslover

If I could see the merits of PC gaming I'd volunteer but I'm afraid to say that I have and always will be a console gamer.

You know, you could try running a monthly topic type thing that would explore more controversial issues.

Mods.
Better graphics.
The ability to alter your system anyway you choose.
Steam deals of current generation games being better than what you can get for console games at a Best Buy or Gamestop.
Dedicated servers for the majority of PC games.

Quite frankly, you do not need a "Gaming PC" to be a PC gamer. Your current PC, as long as it isn't too old, will suffice.

Dells and HPs can be updated. What can you change about a PS3? The HDD. Can you change anything else aside from what Sony allows you to change? No. Do I need to bring up the Geohotz-incident?

At least with the PS3 you can change the HDD. With the Xbox 360, you have to use the HDDs that MS have created. Xbox's party chat system also pales in comparison to a Teamspeak, Mumble, or Ventrilo server. Don't have more than 4 people in that party chat or increase your chance of randomly DCing (it's not my connection).

Consoles can play games, they do it just fine, but the performance of PC gaming is better and I found it to be better after being frustrated with my consoles.

No disrespect, but it really doesn't help me to see someone answer my request for a temp-mod with "If I could see the merits of PC gaming I'd volunteer but I'm afraid to say that I have and always will be a console gamer". I just listed a few of merits, not to mention that viewing Youtube or surfing the web is horrible on a console compared to a PC.

You have Sony calling themselves a "Computer Entertainment Company" like they're the Vince K. McMahon of the video game industry. Remember that Sony had hopes that PS2 owners would use their PS2s as a PC. They were even going to let you put linux on it.

Also, I will be changing the topic of my guild. That's rude to me, because you're telling me to just give up because there are not a lot of PC gamers on this site.

Again, no disrespect, but if you fail to understand the merits of PC gaming over console than that is your fault and that doesn't mean I should change topic. I asked for help with a guild that caters to PC gamers and I will not compromise.  
PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 8:06 am
You know, there's no need to lecture me when I was offering my recommendation.

Diversification is what makes the gaming community great, I cannot and will not ever personally see the merits of PC gaming because I sit at a PC to work every day and the idea of doing it as a hobby does not in any way appeal to me, there's something very satisfying about sitting down in front of a big TV with my controller at the end of the day and playing whichever game I fancy at the time. That's just personal preference.

If you read my post again the pronouns were very clear, I would have offered my services if I understood the desire to PC game but I don't so volunteering my own services would be quite redundant.

It was in no way rude to suggest diversification, it's common sense, if you appeal to more people then you'll get more members, if you want to stick to your guns just be aware that you're only going to appeal to a portion of the market group and therefore will only have a set group of users that your guild will appeal to.

And the concept of a controversial topic every once in a while is to get people talking; you could do one on thinly veiled political statements in games (Right now I'm thinking of Deus Ex: Human Revolution) or about the portrayal of say the British in video games (And now I'm thinking of the latest AC3 trailer) or even the portrayal of women over the years (From Lara (Tomb Raider) to Jen (Primal), Lightning (FF XIII) to Jade (Beyond Good and Evil). After the pre-set amount of time you can close the topic and move on to the next one whilst making it clear in the rules that it's the only place to do it, this would hopefully stop things from kicking off in an uncontrolled manner.

Sorry if you misunderstood my intention there, I never meant it to cause you any upset.  

Pilotslover

Seeker

12,050 Points
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Elocutionist 200

Grudgehammer

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 11:16 pm
Pilotslover
You know, there's no need to lecture me when I was offering my recommendation.

Diversification is what makes the gaming community great, I cannot and will not ever personally see the merits of PC gaming because I sit at a PC to work every day and the idea of doing it as a hobby does not in any way appeal to me, there's something very satisfying about sitting down in front of a big TV with my controller at the end of the day and playing whichever game I fancy at the time. That's just personal preference.

If you read my post again the pronouns were very clear, I would have offered my services if I understood the desire to PC game but I don't so volunteering my own services would be quite redundant.

It was in no way rude to suggest diversification, it's common sense, if you appeal to more people then you'll get more members, if you want to stick to your guns just be aware that you're only going to appeal to a portion of the market group and therefore will only have a set group of users that your guild will appeal to.

And the concept of a controversial topic every once in a while is to get people talking; you could do one on thinly veiled political statements in games (Right now I'm thinking of Deus Ex: Human Revolution) or about the portrayal of say the British in video games (And now I'm thinking of the latest AC3 trailer) or even the portrayal of women over the years (From Lara (Tomb Raider) to Jen (Primal), Lightning (FF XIII) to Jade (Beyond Good and Evil). After the pre-set amount of time you can close the topic and move on to the next one whilst making it clear in the rules that it's the only place to do it, this would hopefully stop things from kicking off in an uncontrolled manner.

Sorry if you misunderstood my intention there, I never meant it to cause you any upset.

And I am sorry for the lecture, as I know you're just trying to help.

I would have no problem with controversial discussions involving certain games. The thing is though, that the games with the political/religious theme must either be a PC game or a multiplat that is shared with PC, Xbox 360, PS3, and maybe Wii. If I were to open it up to more than PC gamers, then I would create subforums for non-PC gamers while establishing that the main lobby is for discussion on the PC.  
PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 12:33 am
Grudgehammer

And I am sorry for the lecture, as I know you're just trying to help.

I would have no problem with controversial discussions involving certain games. The thing is though, that the games with the political/religious theme must either be a PC game or a multiplat that is shared with PC, Xbox 360, PS3, and maybe Wii. If I were to open it up to more than PC gamers, then I would create subforums for non-PC gamers while establishing that the main lobby is for discussion on the PC.

Bah, there are tonnes of games with political/religious themes across all platforms; Mass Effect, Beyond Good and Evil, Portal (That one is more existential discussion! XD).  

Pilotslover

Seeker

12,050 Points
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Elocutionist 200
Resources & Discussion

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items