Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Inn of Peace (and other rp)

Back to Guilds

A role playing guild from non to fully literate role plays. 

Tags: Role play, literate 

Reply Graveyard
Dungeons & Dragons Roleplay Opportunity! Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Tonash Drahow

Omnipresent Phantom

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 12:38 pm
Reposted from the Ideas and Suggestions Thread to foster more attention.

Hello folks.

Not many people probably remember me from around the time IoP was first formed up, but anyway, I'm here again and I bring with me a proposition:

I am wanting to create a D&D (Dungeons & Dragons) Roleplay. I have led a successful one in the past that lasted for several months. I will be removing a *large* amount of the dice rolling from the process in order to take a bit of the diamond-hard edge that surrounds the term "D&D Roleplay".

You'll be able to choose from a wide variety of races, classes, feats and spells/abilities and I will create the story as we go along. I've successfully DM'ed (Dungeon Mastered) many times before and I'd like this to be a creative vent for me in my spare time.

For those who have never participated in a D&D game before, believe me when I say: Imagination is the limit. The only times that I'll yank on the chain is to make sure that no traditional rules get broken (i.e. no angel/demon, extra planar characters etc. or one hit kills on targets that are formidable yadda yadda).

I would like to gauge interest in who would like to join in this endeavor.
If there's at least 4 people other than me who are interested, I will begin drawing up the details.

biggrin  
PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 6:33 pm
Welcome back, man!

Let's start off with this question: which edition?  

Gren_Eckener
Vice Captain

Tonash Drahow

Omnipresent Phantom

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 7:50 pm
A mix.

Like I said, removing a large amount of the math/numbers/dice rolls so that its more friendly for people new to the experience.

i.e. I'm not going to do "Spot/Listen/Hide/Knowledge Checks" based off of skill levels, I'm going to base things off the following:

These are the basic codes of conduct. There are not many and they are very simple. Breaking these will have consequences.

1. Common Sense
Don't be an idiot. Respect each other, respect the TOS, and respect guild rules. Don't mess it up for the rest of us, and try not to do anything that would upset other people. This is a GAME after all, we're here to have fun.

2. Control
Don't control anyone else's character(s). Don't severely affect (maim, kill, etc) them without permission (of the player or with GM override). Don't go off on an insane killing spree (without permission). Don't mess up the plot/world. Basically use some measure of self control or pay the consequences (character death/player ban).

3. Literacy
We write in third person, past tense, complete sentences. L33t speak, txt abbreviations, profuse slang, and generally bad grammar should not be used outside of dialog. We won't be grammar Nazis but do try to write well.

Please do not color and/or bold dialog. It puts too much emphasis on dialog which, while important, should not be put above the rest of the text. In fact you would do well to read the non-dialog portions more closely than what lies between quotes, as those often tell lies.

Also every time I see "lol" in an RP I die a little inside and if you center align long blocks of text or use bright font colors I will kill your character.

4. Depth
We'd like our characters to be as real as possible. Don't just give us a vague concept, have a fleshed out person with a rich background and personality to play and try to keep it somewhat believable. Because of this policy all characters must be approved by the GM before they can join the RP.

5. Commitment
We want dedicated players or at least to know how dedicated all our players are so we can pair them with other players of the same level. You will be asked for a commitment level on your character submission, take that seriously and give us the time you sign up for.

6. Dependability
If you will be unable to keep your commitment please let anyone you have a scene with know ahead of time so they can get out of the scene if they would like to do something while you're gone. There is no formal punishment for failing to meet your commitment but frequent, repeated lapses in commitment will result in the lowering of your posted commitment level and your character going 'in the bag' (either played by the GM as an NPC or knocked unconscious/otherwise incapacitated).

Description of Action

In a system without stats or dice, action in which failure might occur (combat and skill use) can be tricky. Here we use a system of attempt and result where the PC makes an attempt and the GM declares the result. Success of an attempt is based on several factors:

1) Plausibility: could the character logically succeed given stated skills on the character profile and past actions within the RP.

2) Writing: to encourage good writing, a well written attempt can push a borderline plausibility into success. Conversely, a poorly written attempt can push a borderline plausibility to fail.

3) Awesomeness: a clever, cool, humorous, or otherwise awesome attempt can push a borderline plausibility into success. A truly spectacular attempt can bend the laws of physics if well written.

4) Dice: the GM will occasionally use dice when other factors are not present to help decide the outcome.

5) Plot: some things will just happen (or not) for the sake of the plot. This should not be a common occurance but it may happen.

This system should be used whenever there is a real chance of failure. Don't bother with things that should obviously succeed (archer hitting a haybale at short range) but do use it when:

1) The attempt could easily fail: archer hitting an apple off a tree at long range

2) Any combat situation: PvP or NPC

3) Other opposition: sneaking past guards, picking pockets

In all cases the GM dictates attempt results, especially PvP situations. This should lighten up as characters master skills and players become more established in the system.

How to Do It
To make an attempt the player states an action with open ended vocabulary:

Quote:
Player: The squire made a desperate lunge with her sword, aiming for the bandit's heart.
GM: In a feat of newly honed skill, or blind luck, the sword found its target and sank deep into the bandit's chest.
Player: The squire smiled, pleased with her first kill, and jerked the sword back from the bandit's rib cage to turn on another with a slash of her bloodied blade.

Note the outcome is not stated by the Player, only the action. The GM follows with the result of the attempt and the Player then reacts with a new attempt. This example was decently plausible but slightly borderline due to the specific aim and moderate skill level of the PC. The attempt is properly written but neither particularly well nor poorly and there is no awesomeness to help tip the scales. Its result was decided with a die roll (I'll usually mention luck when that happens).

EDIT: I should note, that there will not be any true PvP; as this is a cooperative PvE game in nature and the only PvP may wind up being a duel, at most.  
PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2012 10:11 pm
Interesting...though, your main problem would be recruitment. A good deal of us are quite busy.  

Gren_Eckener
Vice Captain

Tonash Drahow

Omnipresent Phantom

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 5:17 am
Yeah. That's he issue wherever I go. People lack commitment to check the forum a few times a week. Hoping that I can find a few People here who are willing to put forth that effort before I start looking elsewhere.  
PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 5:28 pm
Seems like there's not enough interest.

I'll have to look elsewhere.  

Tonash Drahow

Omnipresent Phantom

HeadlessKoko

Invisible Regular

12,125 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Inquisitor 200
  • Alchemy Level 2 100
PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 5:52 pm
Tonas

I don't know who you are, but if you're still doing the D&D idea, I'll be glad to join if I can 3nodding .  
PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2012 7:20 am
............WAIT! D&D ! YES! howdidInotseethis!? COME BACK!!  

Astra_Senpai

Beloved Dabbler

Tonash Drahow

Omnipresent Phantom

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2012 9:55 am
So I see there are in fact a few interested players.

If people are willing to commit to checking the forums once every day or two, I will start constructing the layout.

: )  
PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2012 12:37 pm
Tonas: I'm willing to do that whee . And if on the off-chance I do forget (sorry, this will be my first forum rp since IoP sweatdrop ), I can just be quoted and I'll get right to it 3nodding .

Now, on to a few questions so I can get an idea of what I can make my character. That is, if you don't mind answering sweatdrop .
1) Are only standard classes allowed or can I choose a class from one of the supplements or one of the variant classes?
2) Will we be on one plane for the most part or do you plan on some planar travel?  

HeadlessKoko

Invisible Regular

12,125 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Inquisitor 200
  • Alchemy Level 2 100

Tonash Drahow

Omnipresent Phantom

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2012 1:40 pm
1 - I will be using the standard classes. I will be asking Zulma if I can have a sub forum specifically for this project, as it will have multiple threads to keep track of different things/spell lists yadda yadda.

2 - This will primarily exist on the Prime Material Plane, otherwise known as the "Normal World", in the Forgotten Realms world of Toril in the years following the Time of Troubles and the Bhaalspawn war. (If you've played the Baldur's Gate games or read the books, roughly a few years after Throne of Bhaal ends)
This is not to say that there won't be elementals or the opportunity for a player going for the wizard class to visit the other planes, but the main adventure will take place in Amn, the country near the southern part of Faerun.  
PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2012 4:30 pm
heart  

Astra_Senpai

Beloved Dabbler

Tonash Drahow

Omnipresent Phantom

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2012 7:57 pm
I can begin accepting profile applications for the D&D RP - Mazes & Monsters at this time.

Spell Lists have not been updated yet, so those will be taken care of by tomorrow, hopefully.

If you have any questions, let me know.  
PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2012 8:35 am
I'm having a hard time with my char history at the end bit lol... oh and the char description...and you wanted this pm'd right?

ALSO! cantrips in AD&D, are you allowing those as they're lvl 0 and mostly for little practical things?  

Astra_Senpai

Beloved Dabbler

Tonash Drahow

Omnipresent Phantom

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 11:45 am
Yes, all profiles need to be sent to me.

Cantrips are level 0 spells (Such as Light etc.) that are usable as many times per day as needed without gaining exhaustion.  
Graveyard

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff