Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Polyglot's and Linguist's Guild

Back to Guilds

A place where people learning languages or studying linguistics can come to discuss and hang out! 

Tags: language, linguistics, polyglot, linguist, foreign languages 

Reply The Polyglot's and Linguist's Guild
Does anyone else do this? Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Is this something that interests you?
  Yes
  No
  Wow, you're crazy
View Results

Azula the Phoenix Queen

Dangerous Lunatic

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 12:20 pm
When I'm bored, I frequently find myself on youtube looking up Disney songs in the various languages they've been translated into and comparing them to one another, especially with regard to linguistic and cultural implications. I can do this for hours. x_x

Currently, I'm looking at tracks from The Prince of Egypt, in particular, 'The Plagues.' I love the English version dearly, and the German one is sehr fantastiche, but I think the Czech version is superior to all of them, both musically and linguistically.

'Be Prepared' from The Lion King is also stunning in German and simply delectable in Zulu, I recommend you check them out. Something I love that they did in the Zulu version that wasn't done in other versions - in the 'goosestepping' section, the Hyena choir was voiced by all women - which makes sense, because Hyenas are the dominant sex as opposed to males. emotion_awesome

Discuss: Songs that end up translated into other languages, which languages suit certain songs and which do not, whether or not I am completely crazy or if this is normal for a language nerd to do... biggrin

(I'm also a music nerd, so there's a certain aspect of that in here too. sweatdrop )  
PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 12:40 pm
Azula the Phoenix Queen
When I'm bored, I frequently find myself on youtube looking up Disney songs in the various languages they've been translated into and comparing them to one another, especially with regard to linguistic and cultural implications. I can do this for hours. x_x

Currently, I'm looking at tracks from The Prince of Egypt, in particular, 'The Plagues.' I love the English version dearly, and the German one is sehr fantastiche, but I think the Czech version is superior to all of them, both musically and linguistically.

'Be Prepared' from The Lion King is also stunning in German and simply delectable in Zulu, I recommend you check them out. Something I love that they did in the Zulu version that wasn't done in other versions - in the 'goosestepping' section, the Hyena choir was voiced by all women - which makes sense, because Hyenas are the dominant sex as opposed to males. emotion_awesome

Discuss: Songs that end up translated into other languages, which languages suit certain songs and which do not, whether or not I am completely crazy or if this is normal for a language nerd to do... biggrin

(I'm also a music nerd, so there's a certain aspect of that in here too. sweatdrop )

Honestly, I've never even thought of doing something like this. ;-; I should try it though... THE PLAGUE IN ITALIAN. YES.

Munashii the Unseen

Informer

Azula the Phoenix Queen

Dangerous Lunatic

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 12:46 pm
Master Huntress Munashii
Azula the Phoenix Queen

Honestly, I've never even thought of doing something like this. ;-; I should try it though... THE PLAGUE IN ITALIAN. YES.

It's lovely in Italian. Kind of hard to find a recording though - had to find an AMV that used it.

Now listen to it in Czech (I can only sort of read it - I don't speak a word of it, but this is still my favorite.)

I love slavic languages - the hard biting k's and t's combined with the deceptively gentle sh's and ch's (and x's) make the language suit the dramatic songs soooo well.  
PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 12:54 pm
Master Huntress Munashii
Azula the Phoenix Queen

Perfect example: 'Hellfire' from The Hunchback of Notre Dame in Russian. The combination of sounds in general just... suit this song! Better than in English or French!

Azula the Phoenix Queen

Dangerous Lunatic

Munashii the Unseen

Informer

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 12:57 pm
Azula the Phoenix Queen

Sweetness - thanks for looking that one up for me. XD I love the Italian version. And the Czech one is certainly interesting too - I've actually never heard that language spoken, believe it or not. ;-;

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 5:54 pm
I do similar things, I don't look up disney songs but I look up languages and compare them, same with accents and stuff. I'm also into physical anthropology so I look up things like typical facial traits of different ethnic groups. It's fascinating! Now I see specifically German traits in my face that I couldn't before pick out, same with Portuguese and Italians. I find that many Europeans are now easy to distinguish, along with Asians and various other peoples. Of course mixed individuals are hard (like... most American white people) and there's always exceptions, but yeah. Look up average facial composites for countries and you'll start recognizing certain traits for certain ethnic groups.

So you're not crazy.  

The_Brightest_Moon
Crew

Tc Frorleivus Almus Ph
Captain

6,325 Points
  • Statustician 100
  • Hygienic 200
  • Signature Look 250
PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 6:20 pm
Veistu, sætust? Ég þrífst nú á því.
;p
Yes, I do that. All. The. Time. Usually in whatever language I'm having an obsession with. Since I started the Norse threads, it's been Icelandic. I'm going through bunches of them in Icelandic, "Poor Unfortunate Souls" being the song that that line came out of.
The first time I've ever heard any Disney song in another language, it was actually a multilanguage compilation of Colors of the Wind.
That's where I got the idea for that cheesy metaphor I always roll with. That, one day, I want to be able to speak with all the "colors of the world".
Corny, I know. Huash! :}

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 11:14 am
Yes, I definitely do this. Disney songs in particular seem to be good no matter what language it's in. I remember listening to "Under the Sea" in Japanese and had it stuck in my head for weeks haha.  

Shiina-kun

Okier - chan

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2012 12:31 am
I'll make a man out of you in cantonese and mandarin are my fav versions~  
PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2012 5:47 am

I watched Pocoyo in Spanish and some clips of the German version of Sesame Street on YouTube.

Chirapaq
Crew

Durem Gaian

5,400 Points
  • Champion 300
  • Medalist 100
  • Athlete 50

Glitoris

Man-Hungry Ladykiller

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2012 12:12 pm
Yay~ I'm not the only one that does this. biggrin  
PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 4:07 am
I love watching Mulan songs in other languages and also the Prince of Egypt. Almost anything Disney Classics songs. However I am deeply sad as Disney didn't hire people to voice the Disney Characters in my own language. We always watch it in English DX.  

MrJamesXOXO

Lonely Prophet

6,350 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Forum Dabbler 200
  • First step to fame 200

Sakura Latte

Magical Fairy

20,300 Points
  • Caroling Champ 100
  • Snowball Hero 200
  • Frozen Solid 200
PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 12:47 pm
Okier - chan

ah yes

btw have you ever listened to the version on Youtube where you hear both the English and Mandarin versions of the song at the same time? c:  
PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 6:47 pm
Sakura Parfait
Okier - chan

ah yes

btw have you ever listened to the version on Youtube where you hear both the English and Mandarin versions of the song at the same time? c:

Nope, I don't think so ;;  

Okier - chan

Sakura Latte

Magical Fairy

20,300 Points
  • Caroling Champ 100
  • Snowball Hero 200
  • Frozen Solid 200
PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 7:22 pm
Okier - chan
Sakura Parfait
Okier - chan

ah yes

Nope, I don't think so ;;

here you go

=)

(btw it also works without headphones)  
The Polyglot's and Linguist's Guild

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items