Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Polyglot's and Linguist's Guild

Back to Guilds

A place where people learning languages or studying linguistics can come to discuss and hang out! 

Tags: language, linguistics, polyglot, linguist, foreign languages 

Reply The Polyglot's and Linguist's Guild
*~LANGUAGE LEARNING RESOURCES~* OPEN!!!!

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

The_Brightest_Moon
Crew

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 10:08 am
IN EDITING, BUT OPEN TO COMMENTS, QUESTIONS AND SUGGESTIONS

PM me with suggestions, requests and links to add.

Hello everyone! Are you trying to learn a new languages but feel at a loss because you just don't know where to start? Perhaps lessons are just too expensive, or not offered in your area at all? Fret no more, that's what the internet is for! Here I've compiled a list of online, (mostly) free language learning links. I will be editing this over time and covering the most "common" languages here (i.e. French, German, Japanese, etc), so please, PM me or comment with languages and resources to add. Enjoy!

General links

Anki
-A must have resource for students of any language. Free to download, incredibly useful. Build your own decks or download others.

MINT & PEACHES: Guide to learning languages online
-This is an old Gaia forum that I bookmarked. Essentially what I intend for this post to become; has tons of links for learning languages.

LiveMocha
-A great, free/cheap site to learn languages

LanguagePod101
-This company has individual websites for 27 different languages, offering great lessons and free podcasts. Accounts are free, though if you want to get more out of the lessons, a premium membership is recommended. If you're going to spend money on a program, I'd say this is one of the ones that's actually worth it. If you don't want to spend money, I still highly recommend you get a free account, and download the podcasts on iTunes. I use Japanesepod101 and it's ah-mah-zing.

UniLang
-A great online language community with free resources and lessons

Lang-8
-Another free, must-have resource. Write journal entries and text posts in your target language and native speakers will correct it.

Free Languages
-A site on learning languages for free

Omniglot
-A great site with information of languages and writing systems, among other things

Linguanaut
-A cool site about learning languages, check it out

The Language Community
-A great Tumblr blog on learning languages, they post resources for various languages as well as other things. If you have a Tumblr follow them!

BBC Languages
-Free language lessons from BBC

101 Languages
-A site with lessons for 50+ languages (THE URL LIES)

Mango Languages
-Mango Languages for libraries. The normal product itself is rather pricey but many libraries offer a free subscription, as does mine. It's really good, if you can get it for free I recommend it.

byki
-"before you know it" A language program offered by Transparent. It's free to download but the stuff you get for free is pretty crappy and insufficient if you're looking to learn more than greetings and colors. Still though, useful for the absolute basics.

Word Reference
-Online language dictionary and translations, one of the few actually reliable and accurate sites for this

Memrise
-A fantastic site for language learning, mostly vocabulary but some grammar resources too. Much user-created content and vocabulary lists, and you can make your own. Hundreds of lists for common languages, as well as resources for the very obscure.

WebGerman language index
-Tons of links and resources for various languages, hosted on a good site for learning German as well.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 2:59 pm
Asian Languages

Mandarin

Yahoo! Taiwan Dictionary
-It goes from both English to Chinese and vice-versa. It's Taiwan, so all the characters are traditional. ~submitted by Shizuka Mizu

Chinese character converter
-That said (Taiwanese characters), here's a converter that will convert traditional characters to simplified and back again. ~submitted by Shizuka Mizu

Chinese character dictionary
-Chinese hanzi look up tool. ~submitted by Shizuka Mizu

Basic Chinese Grammar
-Pretty self explanatory

Target Chinese
-I don't know Chinese so I don't exactly know what this site is about, but if you can read it check it out. I think it's for vocabulary.

Mandarin at About.com
-About.com is great for free language lessons. Has vocabulary, grammar, culture, hanzi, etc.

Chinese Lessons
-Has lessons for both Mandarin and Cantonese, but the site hasn't been updated for a long time.

WebGerman: Chinese lessons
-TONS of links for learning Chinese

Korean

English/Korean Dictionary Search
-Korean dictionary that goes from Korean to English and vice-versa. ~submitted by Shizuka Mizu

Korean Keyboard Online
-Korean online keyboard for those that don't have or can't get Microsoft's Korean IME. ~submitted by Shizuka Mizu

Introduction to Korean
-Good lessons introducing the basics of the Korean language

Sogang Korean Lessons
-Fantastic Korean lessons provided by Sogang University

Talk To Me In Korean
-One of the best sites out there for learning Korean. Has podcasts, downloads, blogs and community resources.

KBS WORLD Korean
-Free Korean lessons from KBS WORLD Radio, with essential phrases for everyday situations

Learn Korean
-Free, basic online lessons to learn Korean

KLEAR Textbook
-Textbooks and publications for learning Korean

Learn Hangul - Korean Wiki Project
-Great lessons for learning Hangul from the Korean Wiki Project

The_Brightest_Moon
Crew

The_Brightest_Moon
Crew

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 9:05 pm
WESTERN/EUROPEAN LANGUAGES

Portuguese

Learn Portuguese With Rafa
-A fantastic site to learn Portuguese, with friendly and user-oriented lessons on language and culture for both European and Brazilian Portuguese.

Easy Portuguese
-A good site for beginners. Has essential phrases and vocabulary, as well as basic lessons from beginner-intermediate levels. Pretty sure the site is oriented towards Brazilian Portuguese, as most sources are.

My Languages: Learn Portuguese
-A great site with essential phrases, vocabulary, basic grammar, audio samples, etc. Seems to be geared towards European Portuguese, though I'm not sure.

Learning Portuguese
-A great site for learning European Portuguese that both offers lessons and has links to other resources, including sites for Brazilian Portuguese.

Learn Portuguese Now
-Great site for those learning Brazilian Portuguese. Has languages lessons as well as cultural notes.

Spanish

Study Spanish
-A fantastic site for learning Spanish, including both European and Central/South American Spanish. Beginner lessons are free but I'm pretty sure you have to pay for more advanced things.

Spanish Dict
-Over 60 free lessons to learn Spanish online

IE Languages - Spanish
-Free Spanish lessons, tons of topics to choose from as well as other links provided. Also a great site to learn other Indo European languages.

Spanish at About.com
-About.com is always a solid place to find thorough, free language lessons.

BBC Languages: Spanish
-Free language and culture lessons through the BBC

Medical Spanish for Healthcare Practitioners
-If you are a nurse, doctor or in med school, or even in an area where Spanish is widely spoken, it's always essential to know some medical vocabulary should an emergency arrive.

Spanish News Websites
-News articles and clips are a fantastic way to expose yourself to real subject matter in your target language. Aim to read/listen to at least one piece of news in your target language daily.

Spanish Language & Culture
-Tons of Spanish language lessons with vocabulary and grammar as well as a goldmine of Spanish culture lessons.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 9:06 pm
[Reserved]  

The_Brightest_Moon
Crew

The_Brightest_Moon
Crew

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 12:42 pm
[Reserved]  
PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 12:49 pm
I obviously have a lot more languages to add, but as of now I've made all the reserved posts I'll need, so this thread is now

OPEN TO THE PUBLIC

Hooray! cat_3nodding

Please give me your comments, questions and input. If I've forgotten a good resource for one of the languages listed, please send me a PM!  

The_Brightest_Moon
Crew

zhiliolia

Greedy Gawker

9,900 Points
  • Partygoer 500
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Tooth Fairy 100
PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 5:46 pm
Imma add some.
This is a website desgined to help people learn Inuktitut. Inuktitut is a polysynthetic language, so very unlike most language most people are used to. It is the official language of Nunavut, a territory in Canada. The site will pronounce the words for you, which makes it easier to learn. Inuktitut has the second most speakers of all the native Canadian languages only being beaten by Cree.
This is a lexicon for Warlpiri a language spoken in Australia. It has just under 3000 speakers left. Unfortunately there is no grammar on this site. Since the language has so few speakers it is hard to find adequate resources on it.  
The Polyglot's and Linguist's Guild

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games