Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Grammar Guild

Back to Guilds

The Gaian Grammar Guild is a refuge for the literate, a place for them to post and read posts without worrying about the nonsensical ones. 

Tags: grammar, literate, english, language 

Reply Literature
Review: The handmaids tale

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

has anyone heard of Margaret Atwood?
  Yes
  No
  Rings a bell.
View Results

Bookworm_42901

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 6:06 pm
The Handmaids Tale by Margaret Atwood.

This book is a compulsory read for teenagers in France, and it's a very popular book in Canadian highschools because the authour is Canadian.

This book was fairly sad, and it didn't give you much information. It's about a female living in a country that used to be the United States. Though it was plagued by desease, leaving many of the women unfertile, this story is about one of the fertile women and her role in the country.

It's really interesting but the ending ******** AMAZING. Excuse the language, but I feel the need to emphasize reading this book is worth the treats at the end.  
PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2006 2:16 pm
I'll be honest and say that I really don't like Margaret Atwood. Perhaps it's because everyone talks about her and she's super famous in Canada, but regardless, there were excerpts from two of her works on our English Diploma Exams (Grade 12 Finals), and I was not impressed...  

Jaspickle

Ame Yuki Kaze

Clean Seeker

4,100 Points
  • Hygienic 200
  • Wall Street 200
  • Signature Look 250
PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2006 12:25 pm
I never read the book. I saw the movie as a child and hated it. I felt like it was just written by some atheist who wanted to put all Christians in a bad light.  
PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2006 11:24 am
I just enjoy the book in general. I like its portrayal of a simple way of life. I also thought the Japanese tourists were funny.  

Silver and Silence

slightlyfoxed

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2006 2:37 pm
I think I need to reread it because I remember being dissatisfied with the ending.

Avoid the movie.

If you like her style, try Cat's Eye or Robber Bride. I have yet to get through Blind Assassin, although that is an award winner.  
PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2006 8:40 pm
Thank you! I thought I was the only one that read it...even though now i see it was a movie.

The conflict was interesting. It was a choice between two equally undesirable choices. Either live in squalor and disease, constantly chased, or be in a "safe" society with too many rules and no freedom. You also couldn't blame the way humans reacted to the circumstances so you ended up feeling bad for the "bad" guys.

I however, hated the ending too.  

georgette_x

Dead Twisted Romance

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2006 12:22 pm
Well with all the mixed reviews I must read this book 3nodding *Scribbles down book name* Thank you blaugh  
PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 11:16 pm
I love the book! I feel the world that Atwood portrays is one that could exist. The almost religious quality of the rituals, social structures and ideology really made me sit back and re-evaluate what I have learned concerning sociology.  

Dusti_Love

Literature

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff