Welcome to Gaia! ::

THIS IS HALLOWEEN

Back to Guilds

WHERE IT IS ALWAYS HALLOWEEN (and sometimes exams) 

Tags: Halloween, Demons, Monsters, Roleplay, Academy 

Reply { Halloween Subspace } --- Quests and character approval
[Q] Tress J. Gervene - Grim Reaper (READY!)

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Kitomyx

Questionable Loiterer

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 3:15 pm
User ImageAMITYVILLE ACADEMY ENROLLMENT FORM

Name: Tress J. Gervene
Nicknames: (N/A...so far)

Faction/Race Reapers | Grim Reaper
Natural Ability: Sense Soul
Personality: Tress is intelligent, but in a literary and logical sense. She's not so knowledgeable about how to deal with others, how to be considerate, and what to do in other such social situations. As she tends to be a loner, her shyness and social awkwardness don't often come to light and she likes it that way because she will do everything she can to hide her social insecurities. Though aware of her weaknesses in social interaction, she doesn't consider social skills to be a necessity to her goals and thus doesn't do much to improve upon them. That isn't to say she would object to having a few friends if only she knew how to make them, though.

This reaper is very honest and direct in her communication, which can have its positives and negatives. She is blunt, curt, and to-the-point, which makes for quick negotiations with little room for misunderstandings. However, as Tress will not mince words, feelings are often hurt in the process, especially if she's communicating with someone who is especially sensitive and emotional.

Tress doesn't work well in groups or teams. If assigned to one, she is likely to try to take control of things as she is something of a control freak and a perfectionist. Because of this, the analytic Tress can be over-critical when analyzing others and their behaviors, making her needlessly harsh when criticizing. Meticulous in her perfectionism, she tends to be a worrier and get very fussy if something isn't done just so. She is a firm believer in the idea that 'if you want something done right, you have to do it yourself'.

This young woman's idea of 'something done right' usually consists of doing things by the book and how they have always been done. With her practical and conservative attitude, she believes that attempting new ways to do things risks getting them done wrong and thus is not likely to be open to suggestions or new ideas from others. All of this makes her a rather poor leader, though leadership is likely the only role she will accept if made to work with others.

On the upside, Tress is very diligent in her independent work (because she feels she doesn't have to waste time worrying about the quality of others' work matching her own standards) and prides herself on being reliable. If she says she'll do something, then she'll get it done no matter what. Due to that, however, promises from her are somewhat uncommon because she will not make a promise she can't keep. She likes to know with absolute certainty that she will be able to make time or have the resources to do something before she agrees to do it.

Likes: Organization, tidiness, diligence, practicality, punctuality, health foods, lists, hygiene, order, wholesomeness.
Dislikes: Tom-foolery, idiots, inefficiency, imperfection, stupidity, hazards to health, anything sordid, sloppy workers, squalor, being uncertain.

Why are they enrolled in Amityville Academy?
Tress wants to know how to be a better reaper. She would like to know how to be neater with her job and more professional about her work. However, this does not mean that she derives no pleasure from the fear of others; she's just very careful about concealing it. This is because she prefers not to be open with her emotions as well as feeling a certain sort of guilt for causing said fear and harvesting it from dead human souls. Her emotions are the same as any human, after all, and reapers being what they are, she can't help but feel something of an affinity toward them. Tress is most interested in classes that focus on utilizing the full potential of her unique abilities - both of her race and her individual 'FEAR' ability.

FEAR: (School of Fear: Supportive Ability; Tainted Fang)
Love Hurts - Tress strikes at her opponent with the intent to expose their heart (figuratively, if not literally). Each turn, a dull ache takes hold of their heart as if someone were clutching it possessively and with malice. This feeling is not unlike the sensation associated with metaphorical 'heartache' or 'heartbreak' and may even make some feel nostalgic of a past love.

Tress' power source is derived from the passion of vengeful lovers who have suffered and died at the hands of their beloved and wronged them so horribly as for them to hold a grudge against them in the afterlife (such as Emily's vengeful feelings against Lord Barkis Bittern in the movie Corpse Bride). For this reason, a great many of the beings that are born from the FEAR she reaps of dead human souls turn into ghosts such as Ladies in White or Revenants.

Fear Weapon: Tress' weapon takes the form of a hedge trimmer. This may because her particular class of reaper is generally known to wield harvesting or gardening tools of some kind, the most well-known of which is a scythe. Though not exactly a scythe, her hedge trimmer is still a gardening tool of sorts and, as a manifestation of its owner's FEAR, is symbolically a tool used to keep order, making things prim, proper, and uniform.

Physical Description:
Eye Colour: Chartreuse green and pine green irises (two rings...?). Wears thick, square-framed glasses; is severely near-sighted.
Hair Colour/Style: Tawny hair, pixie cut with extensions.
Skin Colour: Peach, more on the ruddy side. The sort whose external features (nose, cheeks, ears, etc.) get very red when it's cold out or when she's experiencing a strong change of emotion (embarrassment, anger, etc.) though she seems pretty consistent as far as her mood goes, so it's not so much the latter than the former.
Clothing Style/Colours:
- Black lipstick.
- Wears clothing dating to the Victorian era of England, including spat boots
- Is more likely to wear riding garments such as a Shad-belly coat rather than a customary Victorian dress.
- Somewhat short without her high heels. In the refs provided, she wears 6 inches, though for an 18-year old, perhaps something closer to 3 inches or less would be more appropriate. I'm not sure, though; I'm not an expert on Victorian fashion.
Extra: Freckles & pierced ears (though her jewelry tends to be simple and her default earrings are each two halves of a broken, jagged-edged black heart). Her weapon/death scythe is a hedge-trimmer.
References:
((NOTE: Please be aware that the references below are meant to portray Tress at the age of 31, not 18. As I am horrible when it comes to fashion design, please feel free to just use the given refs as guidelines for her style; go ahead and create any kind of outfit you'd like. Also, as the design of her that I came up with is meant to be an older version, please feel free to experiment with what she might have worn prior, such as different a different hair-style, etc. I'd appreciate if you kept with her old Victorian-style theme, however, which includes a palette of mostly neutral colors with the occasional deep (dark?) jewel tone here or there; perhaps as an accent. She's not a very flashy person and doesn't do much to draw attention to herself, but she doesn't really try to avoid it, either.))
- Initial Tress Character Concept
- Tress’ Initial character design
- Tress' main (partially colored) reference sheet
- Tress' alternate outfits
- Tress' alternate outfits (partially colored)

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 5:33 pm
Possessions:
IMAGE WILL GO HERE (I have yet to draw out and color it/him properly...?) - Death Weapon Hedge-Trimmer
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show. - Fright Night Guest Pass (obtained here)

.: More Info Here :.

Also...
- Unfinished TiH Drabble Challenge

- Improved RP Profile Here (Soul Eater RP cont.)
- Original RP Profile Here (Soul Eater RP)  

Kitomyx

Questionable Loiterer

- h a b i b a t i -

Codebreaking Nerd

6,900 Points
  • Partygoer 500
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 3:45 am
Kitomyx
*cracks hands* Time for another crit! >:3 I personally enjoy giving out crits for reapers, they’re fun! >u<

1. Natural ability. Isn’t there 2 natural abilities for reapers? Check out! C: I’m not really sure about this point… But it’s written there if Grim Reapers have 2 natural abilities :0
2. Personality. Actually, I’m just curious about this C: In one point, you said she has a conservative attitude, and analytical. Does this applies to the new people she met? Or just the people she knew? Are those some ways for her to ‘cover’ the fact that she’s kind of shy?
3. Weapons! Yup, a reaper ain’t nothing without his / her weapon… Or a familiar, if you choose to have it. :3 It depends on which one you choose, but still, a reaper can only have a familiar OR a weapon. C: I see that your reaper chooses a chainsaw as her weapon… But just a suggestion, maybe putting some information on it on the application, rather just in a reference C:
4. Source of power! I thought reapers source of powers are from FEAR itself, which is channeled through their weapons / familiars? :0

That’s pretty much it C:  
PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 3:01 pm
Roses Are Black Killers
Hey, Roses! Thanks a lot for the crit! I really appreciate you looking over Tress. biggrin

1. Natural Ability vs. Racial Ability Yes, I do believe that Grim Reapers have two natural abilities - Shadow Shift and Soul Sense. However, I also read this in the reaper class info thread:
Quote:
Reaper Subclass Natural Ability - Varies, see Subclass Entry Below
Every subclass of Reaper has a special ability that particular class can do. You may only have one natural ability. If there is more than one listed, please pick only one.
Wouldn't that mean that only one of them are allowed? Unless you're talking about Reapers' abilities to summon a weapon or a familiar, but I was pretty sure that was called a Racial Ability rather than a natural ability, with the former being an ability shared by the entire race of reapers and the latter being one of two abilities that the subclass of Grim Reaper is allowed to have. XD Of course, I could be wrong. What do you think?

2. Shyness Mmm, good questions. I haven't really gotten to play her much, (and when I have, never under the age of 31) so I'm not sure. I was hoping that would develop through roleplay.

From the little I have played of her, however, I'm assuming that she's quietly conservative, which would go along with her shy character trait as she would mostly keep to herself and not talk to anyone unless she felt she needed to corect them or it was required of her or something.

As far as being analytical, though she's shy, she still analyzes and observes all those around her, taking in her surroundings and making mental notes of the people around her - how they talk, act, walk, behave, etc. It isn't really a 'cover' due to the fact that she can be shy while analytical and conservative as long as she keeps her mouth shut about it and her thoughts to herself.

I'm assuming she would be like this towards everyone until she felt the urge to step in and correct them if they did something she didn't like. For example, if someone were to dump all their books in their bag in order to hurry out to lunch, she might suddenly become bold enough to go right up to them and take out their books before placing them back carefully, neatly, and in an organized manner.

She would overcome her shyness in her efforts to demonstrate the 'correct' and most efficient way people should do things (at least according to her) and hope that they will follow her example in the future (though they might not even take a liking to the fact that she touched their stuff without their permission in the first place XD).

But my point is that it would be a while yet before she would be bold enough to go up to a person and directly scold them for treating their books so badly, being so careless, and being unorganized. She might even just go up and fix the books in order to calm her own nerves (as I imagine it might bother her just to see that happen) without even a word to the owner. If it's not a major thing, she might even wait until the owner left before going over to sort out the disorganized mess. Um...does that make sense/answer your question?

3. Weapon Haha, funny you should mention that. xd Her weapon is actually not a chainsaw, which I'd find rather cliche. It's actually a hedge-trimmer, as I mentioned in her profile above (though originally, as an OC, he developed to have a life/character/humanoid form of his own - Bertrim "Trim" Cutter).

I would be very happy to put more information on it/him, but I'm not sure how much information is required of it/him and how much is allowed. For example, while the Hunters' weapons are sentient, I highly doubt that Reapers' weapons are allowed to be. Do you know if they are? What details about her weapon would you like to know? Because I can tell you, I did a whole lot more research on hedge trimmers than I would have liked. XD And I can explain 'why a hedge trimmer?' if that's a question too.

4. FEAR Yes, I do believe that reapers (and all Halloween creatures, for that matter) derive their powers from FEAR. However, I think you have to get more specific when describing their FEAR ability, which is how they channel the FEAR power through their weapon and/or familiar.
Quote:
FEAR Ability: A character's FEAR ability is a special attack they can use in battle, similar to a limit break or other powerful and unique attack! Their power should be related to the character's species or personality somewhat. Again, as with the natural abilities, when your quest is approved a GM will work with you to make sure your FEAR ability fits the setting and is appropriately powered!
One of the examples for reapers from the FEAR info thread here said that 'A reaper’s chant that summons a blazing inferno that incinerates their opponent, yet runs the risk of singing themselves too.'

EDIT: Oh, were you saying that I should probably get rid of the part pertaining to Tress' relation to deriving her powers from betrayed lovers, since that's not exactly 'fear'? I can change that.  

Kitomyx

Questionable Loiterer

- h a b i b a t i -

Codebreaking Nerd

6,900 Points
  • Partygoer 500
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 1:31 am
Kitomyx

1. Natural Ability. Yes, their ability to summon their weapons or familiar is a racial ability, since only creatures that are in the race 'Reapers' can do such things. :3 And yes, after reading it over, you're right =u= I guess i haven't really look more into the new update D: Sorry!

2. Shyness. Personality, on shyness, yes, that answers my question :3 Maybe you should add that example to the application to make things more clear C:

3. Weapons. On weapons, i see you finally edited the application on the first post, saying on the extras that it's a hedge - trimmer C: Sorry i said it's a chainsaw! D: I can't really tell the difference much between a chainsaw and a hedge trimmer, since those two items are really rare in my country =u= Oh, and back to the topic. Hmm... I think they're not allowed to be sentient. :0 I think Reaper's weapon, unlike Hunter's, are... an 'object', not a 'someone'. :0 So maybe a little extra information what kind of attacks Tress usually do with it, or her approach to her enemy with that weapon C:

4. FEAR! Deriving her powers from betrayed lovers seems... Not much related to halloween, so it should be removed :0 But for now, i think you should still keep it, and maybe wait for others to give crits on that ;3 Because this one is only my point of view on it C:

(( Might as well give a crit for Ingrid ? C: ))  
PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 9:29 am
Roses Are Black Killers

1. Not a problem! I wasn't even aware there was an update. ^_^; But there is a lot to read!

2. Perhaps I should. Thank you for the suggestion~ wink

3. xd Um...actually I hadn't made any changes yet to the first post. In fact, it was even already underlined. Perhaps you may have missed seeing the term 'hedge-trimmer' the first time since you may not have been expecting it...?

And it's fine you said it's a chainsaw, haha. I wanted it to be sort of like that, anyway, if not that, because there's actually another grim reaper I know who has a chainsaw. Interesting that they're rare in your country, though. Also, just in case you or anyone else was wondering...this is how a hedge-trimmer works as a Death Weapon instead of trimming hedges. XD I guess her approach and her attacks might be...going up to the person and slicing through them with it? Similar to a chainsaw...?

Mm, I got it. Alright, thank you for answering that question of mine~!

4. Mmm, I see what you mean, but I think that maybe I'm just not explaining the 'scary' aspect of it enough. XD

For example...would you agree that Corpse Bride is Halloween-themed? It's based on a Russian-Jewish Folktale about a woman who was killed the night before her wedding. Then there's the Japanese yokai (monster/ghost/spirit/supernatural being) known as Hone Onna, or 'Bone-woman' - also a spirit of vengeance stemming from betrayed lovers (usually females) who puts on the appearance of a beautiful woman to draw men close before sucking their life forces from their body. Her true form, as her name suggests, is that of a skeletal woman.

Although in Corpse Bride, Emily wasn't so 'vengeful' toward the man who killed her, the other dead folk were, and it is horrifying in the fact that we don't know what they did to Lord Barkis Bittern after he died. Hone Onna also seeks to repay lustful men for the women whose hearts they betray - not only by drawing them close with her beauty and then frightening them out of their wits with her true from, but but sucking their lifeforce. Are those examples not 'scary' or 'Halloweenish' enough?

I understand that Tress in neither a corpse nor a Hone Onna, but I was trying to have her embody that theme as a grim reaper - perhaps as a repear who takes the souls of those betrayed women and vows to commit vengeance on those who wronged them when they cannot. The spirits of the Hone Onna and the Corpse Bride lingered in the living world because their grudges against their murderers were never eased by vengeance.

However, my intention was to specify Tress' jurisdiction as a grim reaper as those sorts of spirits. She would put them at rest by severing their souls from this world so that they can pass on to the next in exchange for promising to exact the revenge they so desperately seek against the ones who wronged them. Does that make more sense...?

Thanks for your suggestion, and I'll see if I can modify it to embody that theme more, perhaps with the help of the TiH staff or something. Thanks again for the crit!

And of course I'll crit Ingrid! You needed only to have asked~ I didn't even realize you had a quest character. sweatdrop Pardon me. I'll go do that right now. A Hippocerf is certainly intriguing...  

Kitomyx

Questionable Loiterer

- h a b i b a t i -

Codebreaking Nerd

6,900 Points
  • Partygoer 500
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 5:47 am
Kitomyx

3. Weapon. Yeah, I probably missed it =u= Since in the picture, I wasn’t expecting her to hold a hedge trimmer, I was expecting her to hold a scythe or something alike XD Going up to the person itself would be risky :0 Does she block using her hedge trimmer, or with her hands or any other parts of the body? :0 How deep will the wound be if the enemy is hit? :0 Personally, for ‘how deep the wound will be’ question, I’d say depending on the year she’s in C: Maybe when she’s in year one, it’ll only go through the first layer of skin, minimum damage. Second year, it’ll be in the second layer, and so on. C:

4. FEAR. I get it now! C: Perhaps you should add that as an ‘extra’ in the application :0 But maybe not too specific, but as long as the important details are mentioned! C: Otherwise it’ll be too long to read =u=

No probs! C:  
PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 9:49 am
3. Weapon. Hahaha, well what's a battle without risk, right? XD She prefers up-close-and-personal combat rather than projectile, long-range weapons. This might have something to do with the fact that she's extremely near-sighted, despite the fact that she has glasses. Not to mention that, as a grim reaper, she's used to attacking the flesh directly and going for the kill; usually at the throat/neck. And yes, she would block with her weapon; it's big enough that she can parry or counter a blow (like one might with a sword?).

The mechanics of her battling would depend on the senario. If she was fighting a ghost, it would be quite different than flesh and blood, wouldn't it?

Though yes, you're right; her skill would likely increase in proportion to her years at school. Layers of skin seems a bit...odd as far as levels, though, wouldn't you say...? ^_^; And that would depend more on her opponent than her own, personal skill, considering the enemy might not even have any skill at all. I figured I would wait until I actually get her/if I do get her to figure out more about battling mechanics. I'm no good with that stuff.

4. FEAR. Mmm, good idea. I'm...just not entirely sure how to summarize exactly what the theme concept was, which is why I put what I did. ^_^; I just figured I'd explain if anyone asked and that the staff might be able to help me narrow it down since I don't know how.  

Kitomyx

Questionable Loiterer

Tress Gervene

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 10:08 pm
Just bumping this up so it doesn't get lost.

Also, it seems I'm not a total newbie anymore. I need this thread as an example for setting up the layout for my new dryad girl...  
PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 6:06 pm
Hi Kitomyx, I understand you've been waiting a while for some crit here and I apologize for the delay! Also, congratulations on your dryad student! C:

Anyway, onward with the crit!

Age: first thing I notice right off the bat - she's a bit old to be going to high school! Students should be high school age or close so, minimum age I'd say would be like 13. Eighteen isn't quite rule breaking but doesn't leave much room to grow! 15 or 16 is generally the most common.

Personality: At first glance, it looked like a list of mostly positive traits - but as I read I did notice a fair balance between positive and negative, which is good! There is also a lot of cohesiveness here - I can really see how they tie into each other to form a solid character. Now that you've had a chance to play her in a few open events, it might be to your benefit to reorganize it into a couple of paragraphs about her personality, instead of a list? As an example, I actually really like how you did Catreena's profile! I think it conveyed a similar amount of information as your list here but in a more character relevant fashion.

In addition, this line here: "WILL NOT cross train tracks or venture into tunnels of any kind without extreme caution and/or discomfort on her part. " - This seems like something that might be more related to a past/backstory than her modus operandi; although I'd be very interested to know more about her past/family!

Her reason for enrolling: I found this bit both intriguing and confusing: "She would like to know how to be neater with her job and more professional about her work. However, this does not mean that she derives no pleasure from the fear of others; she's just very careful about concealing it. " Why does she want to conceal the pleasure she takes in her work? Is it because of her reclusive personality (she doesn't want to wear her heart on her sleeve) or some other reason? I think exploring that idea further and really getting into the meat of what you mean here could give you a very unique and specific reason for going to school, beyond the usual 'to be the best there ever was'! Again, details about her family or past are always great and add a lot of interesting flavor!

FEAR: I like the idea of her FEAR here, as it's very interesting, and don't be afraid to go into depth about it! I'd like to know more about how she manifests this FEAR in regard to her weapon. A tie in there might help bring her weapon more into how she operates as a character. A reaper's weapon is JUST as important as a hunter's weapon; think of it like a wand in Harry Potter! They literally cannot use FEAR without them.

A paragraph or two should also be devoted to describing her weapon, and how she uses it to wield FEAR even outside of her specific FEAR ability.

I think you've got a pretty good start here, with a lot of room to grow! I'm not an admin so please take my opinions with a grain of salt, as they are just opinions! Let me know if you have any specific questions or if I missed something, and have a great holiday season!  

Ravvlet
Crew

Hygienic Waffles

Kitomyx

Questionable Loiterer

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 12:25 pm
Ravvlet

Hello! So sorry it's been so long, but thanks so much for reviewing and critiquing my quest student! I finally got around to changing everything according to your advice and suggestions except for one.

You mentioned going into depth about how she manifests her fear in regards to her weapon. Do you mean how she summons it or why her weapon is what it is or something completely different? What kind of 'tie-in' were you thinking of/looking for? I'm afraid I'm not sure I understand.

Another thing I was a little confused about is when it says that a Reaper's weapon is a manifestation of their FEAR, does that mean FEAR as a power/energy source derived from humans, or a fear as in their own personal insecurities? I assumed it was the former, but I just wanted to make sure.

I'm not entirely certain, but how can FEAR be wielded outside of a specific FEAR ability? I wasn't aware students could do that (at least first-year ones). Especially for reapers; how do they use Fear through their weapons, such as in combat? I read what I could about FEAR in the informational thread, but perhaps there was a particular section I missed or something.  
{ Halloween Subspace } --- Quests and character approval

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games