Welcome to Gaia! ::

Anime Conventions: The Global Connection

Back to Guilds

A guild dedicated to sharing/discussing conventions, cosplay, anime, and manga from across the world 

Tags: Convention, Cosplay, Anime, Crossplay, Manga 

Reply Convention Experiences & Running Panels/Conventions Info
Convention Inside Jokes

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

tattahitotsuyakusoku

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 9:50 pm
Okay, so has anyone else ever had a convention inside joke?
I don't mean an inside jokes amongst your group from a convention. I mean an inside joke that occurs like at a panel or masquerade. Like something where if you say it to someone who went, they'd be like "Oh yea, I 'member that!"

The last con I went to, the entire room ended up chanting "Chair! Chair! Chair!" during a break in the masquerade.

& at another con, everyone started laughing like the count from sesame street after every number that was called.

I can't think of anything else at the moment. But I know there's more.  
PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 10:18 pm
Well I probably shouldn't say much, but at the con I volunteer there are plenty of inside jokes. Most of the people at the con know each other and a good size core group has gone to every single con.

For example one the Chairman is named Luke and he holds a 'Manliness Panel' (Which people told me is epic), so the joke is that Luke is Manly.

There's even jokes about me. Because I'm the shortest people call me the Chibi Cosplayer. That and I once denied that I was an otaku so there are jokes about that too.  

angelmage99
Vice Captain

Liberal Ladykiller

22,940 Points
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Full closet 200

inky_T.A.E.

Dapper Conventioneer

9,500 Points
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Expert Skill 150
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 9:52 pm
tattahitotsuyakusoku
I don't mean an inside jokes amongst your group from a convention. I mean an inside joke that occurs like at a panel or masquerade. Like something where if you say it to someone who went, they'd be like "Oh yea, I 'member that!"

The last con I went to, the entire room ended up chanting "Chair! Chair! Chair!" during a break in the masquerade.

& at another con, everyone started laughing like the count from sesame street after every number that was called.

Was it Youmacon? emotion_awesome  
PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2012 10:27 pm
inky_T.A.E.
tattahitotsuyakusoku

No. The chair thing was at Animegacon, & the count thing was at Anime Vegas.  

tattahitotsuyakusoku

inky_T.A.E.

Dapper Conventioneer

9,500 Points
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Expert Skill 150
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2012 11:20 pm
tattahitotsuyakusoku
inky_T.A.E.
tattahitotsuyakusoku

Wow, I'm surprised. Youmacon does the chair thing too, I was actually there the year it started at that con. Youmacon also has the " Kill Masako!" inside joke, which was started there at a panel/event ( I think it was the Roast of LittleKuriboh) via LittleKuriboh and Team Four Star. And of course at all cons there's the box joke.  
PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 11:50 pm
inky_T.A.E.
tattahitotsuyakusoku
inky_T.A.E.
tattahitotsuyakusoku

Wow, I'm surprised. Youmacon does the chair thing too, I was actually there the year it started at that con. Youmacon also has the " Kill Masako!" inside joke, which was started there at a panel/event ( I think it was the Roast of LittleKuriboh) via LittleKuriboh and Team Four Star. And of course at all cons there's the box joke.

Haha, that's cool. Oh wow, so many people amused with chairs. They actually had an old Ronald McDonald chair brought up on stage. Vic Mignogna even came out from backstage & sang a song 'bout it. As for the box joke, ya talkin' 'bout Gundam box?  

tattahitotsuyakusoku

inky_T.A.E.

Dapper Conventioneer

9,500 Points
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Expert Skill 150
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 2:15 am
tattahitotsuyakusoku
inky_T.A.E.
tattahitotsuyakusoku
inky_T.A.E.
tattahitotsuyakusoku

Haha, that's cool. Oh wow, so many people amused with chairs. They actually had an old Ronald McDonald chair brought up on stage. Vic Mignogna even came out from backstage & sang a song 'bout it. As for the box joke, ya talkin' 'bout Gundam box?

No, I mean the sort of "steath" box. I think it comes from Metal Gear video game series.  
PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 10:02 am
inky_T.A.E.

No, I mean the sort of "steath" box. I think it comes from Metal Gear video game series.

SNAKE?!

Sorry, couldn't help it. lol  

iAsianSushi

IRL Treasure

MomoShino

Dainty Plague

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 7:50 pm
Oh gosh at MTAC 2010 the infamous May flood happened and we couldn't leave Nashville till Monday. So even till this day when even it starts to rain someone will always say something along the lines of "do you think we'll have another floo con?" and a nother popular thing to say is "where you around durring flood con?" "omigosh do you remember flood con?"

funny mini story, the next year at MTAC they sold see thru umbrellas that said flood con on them.  
PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 4:49 pm
Oh man, I've got so many of those inside jokes. Recently I went to a convention in Akron called ZipCon, and I went to an Attack on Titan panel where they had a contest. Everyone had to introduce themselves like in the anime, and they could be in or out of character, and the one that got the most applause won. One guy introduced him as one of the characters in this hilarious voice, and everyone in the panel was talking about it later!  

Mylo K

xinitia

Crew

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 10:40 pm
Gotta love inside con jokes! The insanely long lines at Fanime last year has become something of an inside joke (accompanied usually with a groan). Whenever there's a long line at a con, someone usually compares it to the Fanime lines.

At the SacCon masquerade there is a man who dresses in yellow Pikachu pajamas and dances with a stuffed Pikachu to the Pokemon Theme. He's become a running joke, and the one year he didn't show up everyone started singing the Pokemon theme because it simply wouldn't be the same without him!  
Convention Experiences & Running Panels/Conventions Info

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games