Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Grammar Guild

Back to Guilds

The Gaian Grammar Guild is a refuge for the literate, a place for them to post and read posts without worrying about the nonsensical ones. 

Tags: grammar, literate, english, language 

Reply Gaian Grammar Guild
This is what we are NOT! Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Ame Yuki Kaze

Clean Seeker

4,100 Points
  • Hygienic 200
  • Wall Street 200
  • Signature Look 250
PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2006 4:35 pm
Grammar nazi wrote:

Quote:
Ok...I can't stand this much longer. I know the majority of you english speaking people out there know the friggin' difference between YOUR and YOU'RE!! If you don't here's a freaking refresher:

YOUR = Possession. Your cat, your watch, your head!

YOU'RE = Conjunction of YOU ARE!! You're cool, you're sweet, you're mean!

Your nice for giving me some gold <- icon_scream.gif WRONG!!

You're nice for giving me some gold. OR Your gift of gold was nice. <- CORRECT!!

So take a second and use your basic english skills and put the 'RE where it belongs.

Sheesh!!

People like this piss me off because they do more to hurt our movement than to help it. Who agrees? Who disagrees? Why?  
PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2006 4:51 pm
I agree. Being literate does not give you the right to degrade others if you're correcting them. Adding a little P.S. or something of the sort at the end of your post just to mention "Oh, by the way..." is all that you need to do. No point in dedicating an intire post to correcting almost to the point of flaming someone.  

WellThen

Ame Yuki Kaze

Clean Seeker

4,100 Points
  • Hygienic 200
  • Wall Street 200
  • Signature Look 250
PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2006 5:25 pm
Indeed. Or even worse, to start a thread in GD dedicated to flaming. The saying I like to go by is, "Speak softly and carry a big stick." -- Teddy Roosevelt  
PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2006 6:06 pm
With little mistakes, I prefer to assume that the writer was having an off day. Perhaps his fingers were cold because his crazy mother doesn't like to turn on the heat. Perhaps he needs to get a stronger perscription for his glasses. blaugh The only time I ever bring it up is if someone uses poor grammar while flaming someone else's ("YOU'RE GRAMMER SUCKS," or something like that).

If something is written entirely in txt-tlk, I usually just ignore it altogether. xp  

Sessha42

Ame Yuki Kaze

Clean Seeker

4,100 Points
  • Hygienic 200
  • Wall Street 200
  • Signature Look 250
PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 9:08 am
That's a good policy. I think I'll adopt it as my own.

Prescription, not "perscription".  
PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 11:42 am
I agree with the absurdity (sp?) about the comment. If you have a problem, don't go crazy, and yell at the entire room. That's just plain disrespectful. It is not helpful in any way. sad It just makes somebody feel stupid, and this is not what we are here for. We're here to improve and expand our english, not to be ignorant, and rude. sweatdrop  

Xanadu_beauty

Ame Yuki Kaze

Clean Seeker

4,100 Points
  • Hygienic 200
  • Wall Street 200
  • Signature Look 250
PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2006 9:49 am
Thank you. You put it so beautifully. My idea is that we give the "txt tlkrz" out there a friendly nudge by embarassing them. As more and more people pour into Gaia with the banner in their sigs and the grammar in their posts, all but the most thick-skulled of the "n00bz" will get embarassed and just kind of switch over. At least I hope that's what will happen.  
PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2006 3:45 pm
Hmm, I'd say that it'd be a lot better if he were to say something along the lines of, 'Here's a mistake with conjuctions that I used to make very often, so I'd like to give you all a head start....'

Or something like that.  

Bittersweet_3

Shrocomemos

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2006 2:25 pm
I know how the poster feels, I'm just too polite to post like that. Tis my inner self that screams that everytime I see those mistakes. xp
I basically don't correct people, because most just don't give a s**t, but I know a 22 year old who still makes those mistakes. I correct him everytime and sometimes I yell at him, but I know him, it's not just someone I'll meet in a thread and never talk to again.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2006 4:27 pm
I agree on the first question. Just yelling won't do anyone any good at all. neutral Like one or two of the posts says:

Bittersweet_3
Hmm, I'd say that it'd be a lot better if he were to say something along the lines of, 'Here's a mistake with conjuctions that I used to make very often, so I'd like to give you all a head start....'
Or something like that.

Xanadu_beauty
I agree with the absurdity (sp?) about the comment. If you have a problem, don't go crazy, and yell at the entire room. That's just plain disrespectful. It is not helpful in any way. It just makes somebody feel stupid, and this is not what we are here for. We're here to improve and expand our english, not to be ignorant, and rude.

That's right, mate. Compassion makes things easier to swallow, like this for instance.

Comma splice between the expressions "ignorant," "and rude." If the comma is necessary here, I'm sorry. sad  

Natsuri

diazinon

2,850 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Treasure Hunter 100
PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2006 3:00 pm
I agree.
Except with some people you have to be mean to get it across.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2006 2:22 pm
I'd correct them, I just wouldn't 'yell' as much.

It depends on the person how you approach it. For example, I've been known to be rather sarcastic when people ask me to correct things...But I'm careful not to overstep my boundries.

Ithaya

Shinigami Banchou sama

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2006 2:32 pm
When bad grammar comes along I just say it's incorrect and correct them, I don't scream and insult that person over something like that, because that's just mean spirited.

I don't know what gives grammar-nazi's the right of day to just verbally assault someone just because they made a few grammar mistakes.
I mean we're all human and we make mistakes.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2006 6:37 am
When coming across a mistake I think the best thing to do is to just politely correct them. They will probably be much more likely to listen to your advice if you aren't yelling at 'em. I'd be resentful if someone yelled at me for a mistake I made, no matter how stupid or small the mistake.  

AilurusRed

[Sarah~fairy]

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2006 11:29 am
i like grammer but i wouldn't do that stare  
Gaian Grammar Guild

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items