Submit

Kit Kat Purrpurr

Dangerous Ladykiller

10,850 Points
  • Happy Birthday! 100
  • Invisibility 100
  • Ultimate Player 200
PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 11:08 pm
I made this petition earlier because I heard that Zig Zag is going to be airing a show about Therians as another "documentary" for their "What?!" series. If you don't know what that is, it's basically for subcultures and such, and Zig Zag makes them out to look like freaks. Probably the worst thing they could do is group Therians AND furries together. They are NOT the same thing. I am both, but I keep both separate from each other.

Anyway, here's the important part. We need signatures. It might not do anything, but it's worth the effort.

Sorry for the advertising, but I'm doing this for the benefit of both communities.
https://www.change.org/petitions/zig-zag-productions-cancel-the-airing-of-the-life-as-an-animal-documentary
----
Here is my original post from Tumblr about it, so I don't worry anyone (because I'm asking for signatures and such).
http://kitkatpurrpurr.tumblr.com/post/45849495712/petition-to-stop-the-airing-of-zig-zags-therian  
PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 6:39 am
I don't know if i'm alone on this or not... but I really, really, REALLY, do not see this 'huge' issue regarding furries and their supposed reputation.

Maybe i'm not as objectified or offended by it because furry to me is a not a life style, certainly not a way of life. To me, it is merely a hobby.

I go to cons, I draw artwork (A lot of it, actually) but am I about to change my entire life to revolve around the fandom? Absolutely not. Those kinds of furries are the ones who end up homeless, unemployed, and completely worthless members of society, and furiety. You can be as absolutely popular and involved in the fandom as you want, but what good is that going to do you in life? Can you put it on a job application? A resume? College credentials? No, No, and Hell No.

So when I see these... petitions, whining and crying about "Fursecution" it makes me want to slam my head through a wall. It doesn't exist. Any group, or fandom, regardless of what it is, is GOING to have 'haters' and people who 'just don't understand ;_;" Furries are not, and never will be, a special case.

/soapbox  

Mand3r

Cluttered Animal

Kit Kat Purrpurr

Dangerous Ladykiller

10,850 Points
  • Happy Birthday! 100
  • Invisibility 100
  • Ultimate Player 200
PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 8:44 am
ManderTehPander
I don't know if i'm alone on this or not... but I really, really, REALLY, do not see this 'huge' issue regarding furries and their supposed reputation.

Maybe i'm not as objectified or offended by it because furry to me is a not a life style, certainly not a way of life. To me, it is merely a hobby.

I go to cons, I draw artwork (A lot of it, actually) but am I about to change my entire life to revolve around the fandom? Absolutely not. Those kinds of furries are the ones who end up homeless, unemployed, and completely worthless members of society, and furiety. You can be as absolutely popular and involved in the fandom as you want, but what good is that going to do you in life? Can you put it on a job application? A resume? College credentials? No, No, and Hell No.

So when I see these... petitions, whining and crying about "Fursecution" it makes me want to slam my head through a wall. It doesn't exist. Any group, or fandom, regardless of what it is, is GOING to have 'haters' and people who 'just don't understand ;_;" Furries are not, and never will be, a special case.

/soapbox

The documentary isn't about furries. It's about Therians. But the fact that they're grouping them together (even though the focus is on Therians) means that a large number of people are going to be told that Therians are furries and that they're freaks and whatnot. I know that a lot of furries don't want to be associated with Therians and a lot of Therians do not want to be associated with furries.

I'm not saying "oh gawd we're so special," I'm saying "these people want to try and inform the general public about something most people haven't heard about (Therians) and they're going to do it by associating them with something people already know about an don't have the fondest opinion of EVEN THOUGH the two are VERY different (furries)."

It's about preventing the spread of misinformation about something few people know about. The first time someone hears about Therianthropy should not be one that isn't factual. Or Therianthropy will just start out with a negative image and stay that way.  
PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 8:49 am
Most people don't talk about furries offline unless they're having a discussion or actually doing something with furries. So that means most talking about furries is online, and as you may know, the Internet doesn't really like them. Therians are in a similar situation, and the Internet doesn't need another reason to hate them. Making this documentary spreads this out into the real world, which people are apt to talk about online and again, fuel people who don't like either to have more reason to discredit Therians or whatever.

It's a possibility, that's my point.  

Kit Kat Purrpurr

Dangerous Ladykiller

10,850 Points
  • Happy Birthday! 100
  • Invisibility 100
  • Ultimate Player 200

Psycho Lee

Shameless Lunatic

7,000 Points
  • Sausage Fest 200
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Nudist Colony 200
PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 2:40 pm
Reality tv exploiting people for teh lulz?

Wow, what an original concept. :v  
PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 7:02 pm
Rehhhhp-pewwwww-tayyyshun? That sounds like a meatbag hyooman word.  

RyanJakobi

Aged Humorist

23,925 Points
  • NPCon Attendee 100
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Partygoer 500

Officer Hot-Pants

Dedicated Lunatic

9,900 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Destroyer of Cuteness 150
  • Marathon 300
PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 5:19 pm
Never even hear the term "Therians" before this. Thought it rang a bell for a moment, but then I realised I was thinking of the Thorian from Mass Effect.  
PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 3:20 am
I have this link posted in my pack and the majority of us have already signed it.I don't want to be associated with furries(not saying there's anything wrong with furries) because I simply am not one.They're two comepletely different things.I'm tired of explaining that I'm a therian and people are like "Oh,those are furries but...not?"  

Dark_Dragon_Bagera

Azrael_Demurstra

Invisible Werewolf

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 2:42 am
I understand both sides of this situation, and I feel for the Therians, (myself being one) that are going to be looked down upon because of some other "pop-culture" show that ridicules anything that's different. But, and sorry to say this, that's the way of the world. Humans, by nature, fear, and belittle anything different from them without trying to understand it. Human's are ignorant and most refuse to try to change that.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying all are. Just most. There are many though that understand that not everything will be exactly like everything else. They understand and can accept that which is different from them.

Sorry for the tangent there. Anyway, I fully support what you're trying to do, though, unfortunately, I don't think it will do much good :/  
PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 5:39 am
Are not furries just animals with fir? and therians or whatever marsupals, or animals that give birth and pouches? but there furry so they would be furries ... O.o  

Recherche Reibow

Newbie Noob

5,350 Points
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Entrepreneur 150
  • Person of Interest 200

WoofyGoo

7,600 Points
  • Wall Street 200
  • Entrepreneur 150
  • Team Jacob 100
PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 1:25 pm
Where ever you go the furry community is currently looked down upon, there was a journalist once at an anthrocon, (saw this in a video of someone telling the story xD) who had interviewed multiple people, and all gave him the same answer in a different way, the journalist on the other hand found the story boring and just trew it away, so, he just made it all up and put it in the magazine, basicly calling us furries, twisted people with a lustfull fetish for animals and cartoon creatures, yaay for honest people among us  
Adult Furries Guild

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games