Welcome to Gaia! ::

Anime Conventions: The Global Connection

Back to Guilds

A guild dedicated to sharing/discussing conventions, cosplay, anime, and manga from across the world 

Tags: Convention, Cosplay, Anime, Crossplay, Manga 

Reply Miscellaneous Threads
Approaching 9 years and have gotten no critiques

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Sifen Yamishi

Fashionable Vampire

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 1:56 pm
In 2014, I will be approaching around 9 years in the circuit. However, the one thing that has been bugging me is how I have gotten no critiques on where to improve/strengths/feedback/where I stand on a scale of 0-10.

What does it mean if none of my friends in the circuit want to give me any feedback/critiques?

It's a lot to ask for, but I would like to improve my skill by at least a little bit next year.

Thanks in advance for answering this.  
PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 5:01 pm
Sifen Yamishi
In 2014, I will be approaching around 9 years in the circuit. However, the one thing that has been bugging me is how I have gotten no critiques on where to improve/strengths/feedback/where I stand on a scale of 0-10.

What does it mean if none of my friends in the circuit want to give me any feedback/critiques?

It's a lot to ask for, but I would like to improve my skill by at least a little bit next year.

Thanks in advance for answering this.

I'm sorry to hear that you have not gotten feedback or critiques on your Cosplays. I don't understand why your friends don't help you in this. Do you do joint Cosplays with them or do you and your friends do separate cosplay characters from different series? It looks like you will have to look elsewhere for helpful info. One thing that you could do is post photos of your cosplays in the photo section of this guild. Someone should be able to give you pointers. Also are you on other websites? I happen to have a Deviant Art website account. I do critiques of Cosplay outfits and drawings from time to time. Check out DeviantArt.com and start a page. Once that's done post your photos and someone their might be able to help you out. I hope that these suggestions are helpful.  

smithers456

Captain

Friendly Explorer

9,050 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Guildmember 100
  • Citizen 200

Sifen Yamishi

Fashionable Vampire

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 5:51 pm
smithers456

I'm sorry to hear that you have not gotten feedback or critiques on your Cosplays. I don't understand why your friends don't help you in this. Do you do joint Cosplays with them or do you and your friends do separate cosplay characters from different series? It looks like you will have to look elsewhere for helpful info. One thing that you could do is post photos of your cosplays in the photo section of this guild. Someone should be able to give you pointers. Also are you on other websites? I happen to have a Deviant Art website account. I do critiques of Cosplay outfits and drawings from time to time. Check out DeviantArt.com and start a page. Once that's done post your photos and someone their might be able to help you out. I hope that these suggestions are helpful.

Question 1: We tend to do separate series. Well, except for "Kuroshitsuji", which Beth, myself and James have done. James however didn't want me to do Sebastian, as he said "It's the peak of the fandom". I asked him for a better reason and he blew me off.

Question 2: I do have a DeviantArt where photos of my convention trips as well as a few smatterings of my own cosplays(well since 2010-present) are on there. Alas, no feedback.  
PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 6:24 pm
Sifen Yamishi
smithers456

Question 1: We tend to do separate series. Well, except for "Kuroshitsuji", which Beth, myself and James have done. James however didn't want me to do Sebastian, as he said "It's the peak of the fandom". I asked him for a better reason and he blew me off.

Question 2: I do have a DeviantArt where photos of my convention trips as well as a few smatterings of my own cosplays(well since 2010-present) are on there. Alas, no feedback.

Hi, Sounds like you have some issues with your friends. I can't help you their. Please send me a link to your Deviant Art page. I would like to help you out by checking out your cosplays. Keep in mind that I'm not familiar with all series but I'm good at doing general critiques. My Deviant Art link is: http://smithers456.deviantart.com/ Also keep in mind that others in this guild can help you out too. I look forward to checking out your DA page. If you send me a message or leave a comment on my DA page that will make it easier for me to check things out. If you do that mention Gaiaonline so that I know that it's you. Besides being a Cosplay Photographer I support Cosplayers in any way that I can. If you start a thread in the Photo sub forum and or the main forum post a photo so that we can check out your Cosplay on this site.  

smithers456

Captain

Friendly Explorer

9,050 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Guildmember 100
  • Citizen 200

smithers456

Captain

Friendly Explorer

9,050 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Guildmember 100
  • Citizen 200
PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 2:14 am
Hello Sifen (Tristan),

I did my best to help you through Deviant Art. Unfortunately my specialty is photography and not outfit creation. You could still get help from others on this guild by starting a thread on the "Cosplay Help" sub forum. You could start a thread that asks about a specific character. On the first post of the thread you could post a photo of what your Cosplay outfit looks like now and ask for tips on how to make it better.

Good Luck on your future cosplays,
Ron  
PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 10:22 pm
Sifen Yamishi

It's frustrating not getting critiques to improve your technique! If you'd like, I'd be happy to help you out with that. If it's not too much, maybe you could look at some of my stuff as well. My DA is: http://thebestsithlord.deviantart.com/

I'm also part of the Will-o'-th'-Wisp cosplay, and we'd all be able to help you out with that, too: http://thebestwispcosplay.deviantart.com/

Let's help each other improve!  

xinitia

Crew

Sifen Yamishi

Fashionable Vampire

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2014 9:53 am
xinitia

It's frustrating not getting critiques to improve your technique! If you'd like, I'd be happy to help you out with that. If it's not too much, maybe you could look at some of my stuff as well. My DA is: http://thebestsithlord.deviantart.com/

I'm also part of the Will-o'-th'-Wisp cosplay, and we'd all be able to help you out with that, too: http://thebestwispcosplay.deviantart.com/

Let's help each other improve!

Send me a Note on DA with the latter link and I'll get to work.
And as far as your work is concerned, I'm kinda jealous. I love the on-location shots, most of all.  
PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2014 5:23 pm
I'm glad that you like my pictures! I have a lot of fun taking them. Most of them are just taken around town (I drag my friends into it...). It's amazing how many nooks and crannies there are around when you just start looking for them!  

xinitia

Crew

Miscellaneous Threads

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces