Welcome to Gaia! ::

Anime Conventions: The Global Connection

Back to Guilds

A guild dedicated to sharing/discussing conventions, cosplay, anime, and manga from across the world 

Tags: Convention, Cosplay, Anime, Crossplay, Manga 

Reply Convention Experiences & Running Panels/Conventions Info
Cosplay Competition

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

smithers456

Captain

Friendly Explorer

9,050 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Guildmember 100
  • Citizen 200
PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 11:10 pm
I recently came across a cosplayer on Deviant Art who got a "Best in Show" award at a "Masquerade" competition. She had a big write up about it and it was a wonderful story of what she and her boyfriend did to win the award. I have seen Cosplay competitions, skits, walk-on's, and my favorite, Masquerades in the past.

I'm wondering what experiences others have had in either watching a competition or being in one. Info on what steps you have taken to prepare for a competition and tips on how to get to the point where someone can compete could be helpful to others.  
PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 6:45 pm
There wasn't a masquerade, but there was a quick walk-on and whatnot. It was last year at Sugoicon. I entered with my Drifloon gijinka cosplay. The mistress of ceremony said the name of the cosplayer, who they were cosplaying as, and what series it was from. It was VERY casual so I wasn't so nervous. I didn't win since my cosplay wasn't 75% made, but I did get a lot of "holy crap that's awesome" reactions from the crowd since my cosplay was knitted.  

OhNoesItsMiho

Unbeatable Lover

9,150 Points
  • Flatterer 200
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Citizen 200

Extreme Cuddler
Crew

Sparkly Sex Symbol

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 5:38 pm
OhNoesItsMiho
There wasn't a masquerade, but there was a quick walk-on and whatnot. It was last year at Sugoicon. I entered with my Drifloon gijinka cosplay. The mistress of ceremony said the name of the cosplayer, who they were cosplaying as, and what series it was from. It was VERY casual so I wasn't so nervous. I didn't win since my cosplay wasn't 75% made, but I did get a lot of "holy crap that's awesome" reactions from the crowd since my cosplay was knitted.
that is awesome, my friend actually made a monster hunter x pokemon sorta thing, bidoof armor for a con we are going to this weekend, I might post some pics up  
PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 7:48 pm
OhNoesItsMiho

Walk-on's do tend to be casual which is nice because their is not as much pressure to show off your outfit as their is at other competitions. I was once urged to do a walk-on when I was Cosplaying Syaoran (from Tsubasa) at Jafax. I chickened out because I had stage fright.  

smithers456

Captain

Friendly Explorer

9,050 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Guildmember 100
  • Citizen 200
Convention Experiences & Running Panels/Conventions Info

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers