Welcome to Gaia! ::

Saving Christianity from Christians

Back to Guilds

a Guild for teh eBil liberals 

Tags: Liberal, Christian, Exegesis, Study 

Reply Main Forum
Is there any biblical support for positive reinforcement?

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Is there anything in the bible that says giving motivates better then taking?
Yes, there is (posts the book of the bible and the verse)
100%
 100%  [ 1 ]
No, sadly there is not... might as well give up and let her fail -_-;
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
I don't know, I haven't read far enough to find it if there is...
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 1

MistressOfTheShadows

Enduring Master

23,725 Points
  • Energy Squad 200
  • Energy Generator 250
  • Battery 500
PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 9:23 am
I know a woman who is having a lot of trouble motivating her 14 going on 15 year old daughter to do anything at all... Her daughter is very lazy and most of the time just seems bored, listless, and depressed like she has no joy or zest for life, but when she gets to watch anime, play video-games, listen to music, go out to sing karaoke, or gets candy or a doll or some other nice thing that she likes she just brightens up like a wilted sunflower perking up when it's watered and brought into the sun! She seems to be much more motivated when given a reward then when punished as proven by her older brother who got her to improve her grades in order to earn herself a new boom-box that only she would be in charge of using.. but her mom was to blind to notice and continues the same failing methods of punishing her for what she doesn't do with no reward for what she does do, when having talked to her I know that that's what she's really looking for.

The poor girl doesn't see the point if she gets no reward and not even praise or a pat on the back and she's the type that gets easily discouraged and gives up on things if they are "too hard" or "too boring" and don't seem "worthwhile" to her... What her mom is doing is all wrong for her personality type... but she keeps beating her head against that same immovable wall of failing and expecting different results just because her methods worked on her son (who happens to be my fiance) and her oldest daughter who were born self-motivated perfectionist types. The worst part is she doesn't trust logic, reason, common sense, or scientific studies, only the bible, so
I would like to know:
Is there anything in the bible that actually supports the benefits of using positive behavioral reinforcement through rewards over negative reinforcement through taking things away?

PS

I know that her mom isn't made of money and can't afford a new gadget or a DVD or CD or toy everytime she needs to motivate her daughter, but she could at least take her to McDonald's to use the laptop on their free wi-fi (since they don't have internet at home) or let her go to a friends house, or give her permission to borrow a game or a movie from a willing friend, or rent a movie, or go to the dollar theater, or get something cheap from an everything's dollar store, or just go some place to sing karaoke as a reward now and then when she does something right & pick and choose what reward for what out of those.

The fool just doesn't realize what powerful tools she has at her own disposal and I fear she won't until her daughter becomes a teenage drop-out and goes down the wrong path in life just because she didn't have the right motivation to cut the mustard... it really is sad cuz this girl has potential if her mom could realize that the very simple pleasures of life that she's denying her daughter to keep her from getting "distracted, obsessed, or corrupted", could be just the enticing cheese that guides this lazy apathetic mouse threw the maze of life to success!

+ It just never occurs to her that the things she shielding her from (anime and video-games mainly) aren't even what led her other daughters who weren't even into them to become the rebellious sluts they are today and that having hobbies and interests might spare her youngest daughter that fate. I honestly hate this woman and want to prove her wrong by raising any children I bare with her son "my way" and having them excel and outperform hers in every way.  
PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 2:25 pm
Ephesians 6:4

4 And, ye fathers[in this case, mothers], provoke not your children to wrath: but bring them up in the nurture and admonition of the Lord.

I can also, think of a parable that Jesus spoke. I believe it is the one about a master gave tribute to a group of servants, and each did something different with it. One hid it from the world, another took it and doubled. The one who doubled the tribute got praise where the other was called a sloth. Rob, once went into a nice detail over it. I know it is Matthew but can't remember the verse.

In the parable it is given early, but if knowledge the gift is coming makes her take more initiative. Then the tribute wasn't in the gift, the work in getting to the gift. ... my option  

Southern Cross Nemesis

rmcdra
Captain

Loved Seeker

11,700 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Partygoer 500
  • Contributor 150
PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 3:49 pm
Repost from where I had seen your post else where. Southern Cross Nemesis's response is also good:

Given this statement right here: "The worst part is she doesn't trust logic, reason, common sense, or scientific studies, only the bible, so " I would give child services a call, the woman has no business raising children. If she can't see how Christ was merciful and taught "another way", then there's no getting through to her. To people like that, the Bible is a tool to reinforce their personal biases but I could be just passing judgement there. Forgive me if I am mistaken.

You could point out: Matthew 5:38 “You have heard that it was said, ‘An eye for an eye, and a tooth for a tooth.’ 39 But I say to you, do not resist an evil person; but whoever slaps you on your right cheek, turn the other to him also. 40 If anyone wants to sue you and take your [am]shirt, let him have your [an]coat also. 41 Whoever [ao]forces you to go one mile, go with him two. 42 Give to him who asks of you, and do not turn away from him who wants to borrow from you.

and 1 Thessalonians 5:
9 For God has not destined us for wrath, but for obtaining salvation through our Lord Jesus Christ, 10 who died for us, so that whether we are awake or asleep, we will live together with Him. 11 Therefore encourage one another and build up one another, just as you also are doing.

12 But we request of you, brethren, that you appreciate those who diligently labor among you, and have charge over you in the Lord and give you instruction, 13 and that you esteem them very highly in love because of their work. Live in peace with one another. 14 We urge you, brethren, admonish the unruly, encourage the fainthearted, help the weak, be patient with everyone. 15 See that no one repays another with evil for evil, but always seek after that which is good for one another and for all people.  
Main Forum

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games