It is a strange thing indeed how friendships can be forged between unlikely companions. Kitwana was rife with unusual situations of that sort, as the members were reminded daily of the brevity of life. Thus perhaps it was not so remarkable to witness the developing relationship between an aging lioness and a lion in his prime. Contrary to what might have been the initial appearance, this was not about romance, though it was very much about love.

It began one sunny day as Vigo roamed beyond the borders. He had no specific destination in mind, nor was he bound for a lop trip abroad. His rogue-born paws simply enjoyed a long stroll from time to time, relieving the occasional restless urge to go! So it was that when he spotted a figure laboriously heading towards the pride, he willingly detoured to investigate. No doubt the scouts would intercept this individual if he or she was a rogue, long before they were in danger, but Vigo felt it his duty to warn this person off earlier rather than later. What he found when he drew near was an older lioness, one he recognized from the pride. They hadn't spoken or had anything to do with one another, but nearly every member of the pride knew everyone else. Having a running tally in one's head helped the caring member to keep track of who had been lost to the goddess' blessing. The predicament this particular lioness was in struck him strongly, and he immediately bounded to her side. "Here little mother, let me help," he said encouragingly.

For her part, Dirdia had found the day relatively pleasant. There weren't many days like this, though she was learning to accept such blessings as they presented themselves. It wasn't as easy a feat as it sounded, for sorrow and guilt had dogged her days for many years. It had taken her longer than most to overcome her grief, and even now she still struggled more often than not. She had taken to spending time out hunting, giving herself time and solitary space to deal with her tumbling emotions. Today she had left before dawn, and the colors of the rising sun spreading across the sky had made her old heart soar. This had been followed by a fortunate hunt. One of the strong, healthy males in the zebra herd she had targeted had stepped in a meerkat hole as he fled. His fall had snapped his neck, leaving her with a hefty carcass without the smell of blood and gore to attract other predators or scavengers.

Though she had been gamely dragging the zebra towards home, her aging body wasn't really up to the strain. Slower and slower she had gone, so that by the time Vigo's voice reached her, she was more than ready to comply. "Oh bless you," she replied breathlessly, dropping the heavy load where she stood. Her head hung wearily, but her eyes held fervent thanks for her rescuer. "I do not think I could manage another step." Vigo gave her an intently concerned look, and she tried to smile reassuringly at him. Apparently it did not reassure him, but confirmed whatever he had been thinking, for he firmly announced, "Let's go have a drink first. The dens are long way still, and you look thirsty."

Well that certainly was an understatement, so Dirdia meekly submitted to his decision. She followed him quietly, glad that the heavy carcass slowed him down to a comfortable pace for her tired paws. She didn't need to know that Vigo was carefully pacing himself, allowing her to take it easy as they made their way to a watering hole that existed on the border. When they arrived, Vigo made sure that she drank first, though he himself was needing a good long drink as well. How she had managed to drag that thing as far as she must have, he had no idea. He privately admired the spunk and strength it took for a lioness in the latter part of her life to accomplish something like that.

"Now little mother," he addressed her after they had both drunk their fill. They were sprawled in the shade of a low growing tree, avoiding the peak heat of the day. "I know you are part of the pride, and I know you must be immune, to be out here alone," he said with utmost politeness. "But beyond that I know nothing about you. Will you please tell me your name and your story?" After all, everyone had a story, most especially those who were long in the tooth. The older the creature, the more Vigo felt they deserved to be given respect and attention. Sure, some might ramble on a lot, or tell the same stories over and over again, but that did not negate their right to being treated kindly and reverently.

To her astonishment, Dirdia blushed! She wasn't used to being the center of anyone's attention, and it flustered her just a little. "Oh my. My name is Dirdia, and are you sure you really want to hear about me?" She angled her head in pleading inquiry, but was met only with an encouraging nod. She huffed a great sigh and resigned herself to it. This was not to be a pleasant telling, but he deserved at least that much, for the help he was providing her with. "I was born in the pride, raised among the sickness and death. Some of my siblings died early on. We lost our mother when we were juves, and the rest of my siblings followed shortly after. My father I lost when I was an adolescent." It was a typical story of mourning in Kitwana, truthfully. Losing most of one's family was normal, though not necessarily accepted as okay. "It seemed like everyone around me died."

Vigo's heart twisted in sympathy for the noble grief that weighed those old shoulders down. "And here you were, immune and unable to even share in their suffering," he said in quiet understanding. He might not have been born here, but he experienced it now, as an adult. It sometimes could be difficult to deal with the guilt of being immune when those around you suffered so.

She nodded her shaggy head, eyes distant. "But that was not the end of life for me. I resolved to make the best of it, to bring life to the pride by what means I possessed. Since I was immune, I would take advantage of that. I went out and found a rogue to father a litter with." Focused on the past, she missed the look on Vigo's face, one of both sympathy and faint unease. Undaunted by the reactions she could not see, she pressed on. "I lost half the cubs at birth. The rest quickly became sick." She swallowed thickly, her throat closing at the memories. "They did not leave me swiftly. It was a long, slow, painful struggle."

Vigo now felt bad for asking her to share. He hadn't meant to uncover such painful wounds. He leaned forward and nuzzled her gently. "I'm sorry you had to hurt so much, little mother." He moved closer to her, his expression warm and apologetic. "Let me confess the misdeeds of my youth to you then, since I had no mother to tell them to." Her teary look was enough for him to start his own tale. He didn't add any frills or apologies along the way, merely told it from his perspective, and then added in his reflections on the kind of life he'd led before he'd joined the pride.

By the time he was done, her tears were gone, and she was regarding him thoughtfully. "You are a good boy, Vigo," she said with a little sadness. "I am glad you are part of the pride now." She reached a paw up to pat his cheek gently, an affectionate, parental touch that made the big red and black lion smile. A thought slowly rose in his mind, and he cocked his head at her ruminatively. "I call you little mother already," he started slowly, watching her reaction. "The cubs I bring back will need looking after, someone they know will always be there when I am gone again." He chortled suddenly. "Not that I am asking for you to be my mate!" He had caught himself, realizing how it probably sounded. "No, I was hoping that perhaps... you might be... my mother?" He was suddenly hugely nervous, watching her anxiously. "I'm such a bachelor, I won't know what to do with the little ones when I bring them home. You could be a grandmother, someone to run to and confide in."

She was flabbergasted. One moment she was alone with her grief, and the next she had a grown male asking to be her adopted son and bring her grandcubs to love. Her eyes were wide, and she was panting lightly. A family? An adopted family? After all this time? She wasn't sure she could handle it, this sudden obtaining of what she'd always wanted. She felt her heart pounding within her as she stared at this earnest young male. At least she could be reasonably certain that he wasn't being cruel. Despite her heart's urging, and her heart's fears, she gave the best answer she could. She again patted his cheek with her old paw and smiled shakily. "Let's give it some time to see if we can get along first. Spend evenings talking, learn each other's schedule. Perhaps you will get tired of this old hag hanging around your den. What if you have a girl to bring home? No, let's give it some time, and what the goddess wishes will happen, I have no doubt." A visit to the priests wouldn't be unwarranted either. But for now, they still had to get home.

"Come, let's be going," she said firmly, steeling herself against his crestfallen look. She had no intention of leaving this adult waif alone to face his newly chosen life alone, but she wasn't about to promise what neither of them could manage to hold to. Wiser to the ways of life, she knew it needed to be eased into, and most likely he needed teaching on good den care! "Time enough to be making pacts. For now, let's just get home safely." With those sage words, she turned towards home, leaving him to hurriedly grab the zebra and follow along behind.