Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Dragon Quest/Warrior Guild

Back to Guilds

A guild for all your Dragon Quest/Warrior needs! 

Tags: JRPG, Slimes, Roto, Alefgard, Zenithia 

Reply Party Chat (Chatterbox)
Dragon Quest Anime

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

What do you think of the Dragon Quest anime?
  It's alright, it's too nothing special.
  IT'S TOTALLY AMAZING YOU SHOULD WATCH IT.
  I haven't watched it so I don't know.
  I'll check it out someday.
  I didn't know there was an anime.
View Results

Ninja Ryu11

Friendly Seeker

9,025 Points
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Peoplewatcher 100
PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2014 1:40 pm
Hey everyone, so I have been hearing word of a Dragon Quest anime for quite some time now. Though, I have not seen it myself but from what I know it's based on Dragon Quest III.(I wonder if Koichi Sugiyama did the arrangements of the soundtrack? That would be interesting to see.) So anyone around here ever seen it before? And if it's worth taking a look at?  
PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2014 3:16 pm
I think you're looking for Dragon Quest: Legend of the Hero Abel which is very, very loosely based on DQIII (as far as I know, the only similarity between it and DQIII is that Baramos is a villain that exists, there are DQ monsters, Toriyama did the art design, and there are some themes from it in the series' soundtrack). I saw part of it a long time ago, but can't really remember much about it. You could probably find it on youtube, or at least take a peak at it on youtube. I remember hearing that the series hasn't gotten a DVD release yet, so I don't know how easy or hard it will be to find. I'll probably have to take a peak myself.

I know that The Adventures of Dai was also made into an anime, but I could never get into it or the manga. I think I've said it before, but I really can't get into the style and it bothers me. The art style and the story itself always struck me as trying super hard to be DQ, but not quite getting there. It's like the uncanny valley of DQ styles to me. I know it probably sounds petty, but everyone has their moments like this, and this is one of mine.

I compare the style of Dai to the style of the Emblem of Roto manga (which I actually DO highly recommend to people who love the Roto/Erdrick trilogy) which has a style that is very much its own. The style sets it apart since it doesn't look like Toriyama at all, but it is full of little references and nods to the world and gameplay of those three games and has fun with some of DQIII's concepts that could be elaborated on more (For the record, the story takes place between DQIII and DQI). Unfortunately the scanlation was never finished, but I think that the stylistic departure from Toriyama's style coupled with the obvious fact that the author and artist love DQ is a lot more effective than a Toriyama imitator trying too hard. Maybe I'll give Dai another chance someday, but not now.  

ThePersonInFrontOfYou
Vice Captain

Wheezing Wench

kefkadragon

Learned Protagonist

31,625 Points
  • Spirit of the Smackdown! 100
  • Redecorator 50
  • Deal Me In 50
PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2014 5:45 pm
I want a rocket slime anime. If wizard baristas can be a thing, talking Slimes in giant tanks is perfectly acceptable!  
PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2014 5:56 pm
Yay a response! So I think the adventures of Dai was the one I was thinking of actually. As awkward as that might seem.. sweatdrop Something about the main character looked relatively similar to the third Loto/Erdrick descendant. But yeah, I do remember how you didn't really like the style of the manga. I haven't read it myself so I don't know I'd say about it.

I'd love to check out the Emblem of Roto manga. Since I do really love the trilogy quite a bit from what I've played of it, especially DQ II. I should totally finish up III soon speaking of which... But I'm just about near finished with it, so I'll eventually make a different thread to talk about that soon.

I thought I'd give the anime an episode viewing just awhile ago. And yeah... The score is rather nice.The ending is apparently My road, my journey in actual song and lyrics!(I had so many feels hearing it) And there's some themes from the games Erdrick trilogy here and there. But as for my impressions of the anime itself.. Well I do think that some parts do feel kind of rushed to be honest. And at times it does have a tendency to try too hard to be like DQ. Though, I'd be lying if I said I didn't enjoy it. The art style does have a different feel to it, and it doesn't feel like Toriyama's style but I didn't feel it was too distracting. Though, I'd have to see more of it to see how well it progresses.  

Ninja Ryu11

Friendly Seeker

9,025 Points
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Peoplewatcher 100
Party Chat (Chatterbox)

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items