Back to Guilds

Tags: Poll, Community, Friends, Random, Contests 

Reply Main Forum
Hello, hello. Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Organic chemistry is trying very hard to slowly drive me mad.
  Sims 3 is apparently a very bad idea when you're trying to study.
View Results

IvyStarling
Crew

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2014 4:12 pm
Just swinging by. Hope you've all been well.  
PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 3:07 pm
Ivy. I wish to know where you ended up deciding to go to college. razz  

Prince-I

Dapper Elocutionist

Kittywitch

Crew

Witty Elocutionist

26,500 Points
  • Waffles! 25
  • Cat Fancier 100
  • Unbreakable Bond 150
PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 5:13 pm
Why, it's been ages! Hello!  
PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 7:03 pm
Yoouuuuuu!

Ain't nothing wrong with playing games when you should be studying- just don't play for so long that you have no time to study. emotion_awesome  

Toontastic
Vice Captain

O.G. Member

IvyStarling
Crew

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2014 11:39 pm
@ Prince, Ahhhhh, I'll just say I relocated to California. I am quite far from the polar vortex.

@ Kitty, Yes! Feels good to at least say hi again. Glad to see you're still around.

@ Toon, Heyyy, how is college treating you? Think I saw a thread earlier about your papers. Luckily my major has let me escape from being buried under papers like some of my friends. I have a theoretical math major friend who for whatever reason has to write like 7 papers a week, and I have no idea how and why...

edit: Where did you get a "sparkly pumpkin" title? Figured it out. Torn.  
PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2014 11:29 pm
Community College is some kind of twilight zone realm where I'm not the dumbest person I know. Also, it sounds like your friend has a major that's scarier than English! How does someone survive that much writing every week? Are they for math? How long are the papers?
I've got five 10-15 point essays due on Wednesday, but each one isn't allowed to be over one page.

The sparkly pumpkin label is from halloween. redface

How's CA and what did you decide to major in? : D  

Toontastic
Vice Captain

O.G. Member

IvyStarling
Crew

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 12:09 am
They all think anything east of Colorado is the east coast emotion_facepalm I've lost count of the number of times I've had to explain that the Midwest is, in fact, in the middle of the country. On the other hand, they do have great milk tea boba. Little Tokyo has some awesome ramen shops, and Koreatown is supposed to be even bigger with some crazy Korean BBQ.

I think all of the papers are because of all the GEs (general education requirements) she has to take. It's definitely not because of her math classes, which are all abstract and full of proofs. These papers sound intense too, man. Some are maybe one page long, but there are others that have to be like 7+ pages. Which isn't even the worst end of the stick, because my poli sci roommate regularly has 15+ page papers eek I think at some point the mind just learns to crank out essays.

I lucked out, because I got credit for lots of university requirements in high school, plus I'm in the school of engineering, so there's much fewer GEs for us than rest of the university emotion_awesome

Oh, I'm majoring in chemical engineering. What about you? o:

One of my friends said that community college is another world of its own, haha. Do you live on campus?  
PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 1:13 am
That's hilarious kinda hilarious that the rockies and everything in between is "east coast". rofl I'm max jelly of all those little cities, I bet they're a blast to visit and full of all kinds of adventures and food!

Oh man thank goodness those aren't math class essays, imagine having to write an entire essay about a math formula concept or something. *shudder* I can't imagine getting used to cranking out essays, I can't autopilot writing something halfway intelligent for the life of me. D:

That sounds like a super awesome major, legit. I'm in CC to get an associates of arts degree and transfer to a university for.... I am stuck between journalism and pharmaceuticals. emotion_facepalm

There's no option for living on campus at my community college, and it's probably for the best. I saw way too many people that looked like they had some serious drug problems while working at the bookstore that would definitely be in the dorms if we had 'em. They were super sketchy and would buy books with financial aid just to walk over to the buybacks desk for some quick money. emotion_sweatdrop  

Toontastic
Vice Captain

O.G. Member

Prince-I

Dapper Elocutionist

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 10:37 am
Chemical Engineering: what a shame.

Truest words spoken by a chemist. razz

I'll be getting a BS in Chemistry in a year and a half most likely. Probably do grad school too in Organic Chemistry.

Ms. Ivy on the other hand probably won't go to grad school because there's really no reason to for chemical engineers unless you want to TEACH chemical engineering.

Ugh. More school. More labs. More papers. I just want to sleep right now, but I have a 4-hour lab in 20 minutes. X.x  
PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 9:23 pm
@ Prince, rolleyes At least chemical engineers aren't afraid of math, which seems to describe most of the people I've met so far from your major. All jokes aside, your future plans sound awesome. I've heard ochem lab is really cool (and that the lab reports are death, but minor detail), so research in grad school must be totally legit. I actually know a couple of chemical engineers off to grad school, but yeah, the majority of my upperclassmen friends land good jobs and go straight into industry. Some do go back later for MBAs.

@ Toon, I actually had to explain to one in particular that Chicago was not in Florida. She was an international student, so she did have a very good excuse, but I just never anticipated ever having to rectify that mistake.

Oh my god, math class essays would be even worse than English papers burning_eyes Even quality BS wouldn't cut it.

Major props to you for planning to transfer, I wouldn't want to go through the college application process twice. More power to you.

That buyback business sounds almost like vending in the Gaia marketplace... except sketchier since it's real life ^^;  

IvyStarling
Crew

Prince-I

Dapper Elocutionist

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 6:39 am
Yeeeeah... math is certainly not my forte.

I have an exam today for PChem 2. Professor expects us to memorize a few dozen equations and all the constants relating to them.

All the math for ChemEs here is pretty much just a ton upon a ton of dimensional analysis, which isn't actually that bad.
And then statistics. Lyk wut?  
PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 4:33 pm
I wouldn't take chemE classes lightly if that's what you're implying, anything can become exponentially more complicated with real life applications. We have to take those classes in addition to most of the chemistry classes that you're taking :/  

IvyStarling
Crew

Prince-I

Dapper Elocutionist

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 9:25 pm
I'm not making light of them. I've taken some ChemE courses myself. I know that they're difficult.

I find myself more interested in laboratory work, which, for ChemEs at my particular university, chem labs stop after their sophomore year (but they have stuff like Unit Ops which is their own lab course).

Mean while, while the ChemEs struggle with their own mathematical oriented escapades, I find myself in 16 hours of laboratory work, 4 of which I TA. The worst part is that at my school the lab classes count for such little course credit, it's appalling. A lab that meets 4-5 hours a week and has 4-8 hours/wk of homework is a 2-credit hour course and the lab I have that is 9 hours/wk in lab with another 2-8 hours (depending on location within each particular lab) counts for a whole 3 credit hours (and advanced comp credit, woot!)

But who am I to complain? I signed up for the hell I find myself in. razz And then I am a teaching assistant for an organic lab on top of it, which is fun. I like being able to teach students and advance their knowledge in chemistry.

Make no mistake that I'm treating you as subordinate because of your association with ChemEng. They have their own advanced stuff just as pure chemists have their own that many engineers wouldn't touch. Each profession has their own specifications which is why they are different majors in the first place.

(I just like wet chemistry too much to sit down and design processes like many engineers would.)

Post-submition thought:
I recall after posting this the numerous times I'd been in arguments with people due to the way that I explain things where attempted humor and playful sarcasm gets easily misconstrued with general conversation. I can see that "issue" is still prevalent in this community on my front, but I know not what I can really do. Just the way I communicate whether through text or face-to-face.

I guess I'll apologize for previous circumstances where this has occurred and preemptively so for any times that my form of speaking gets taken offensively as it's sure to be taken. It's an occupational hazard of being me.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2014 1:16 pm
Fair enough, I'm sorry I misconstrued the tone of your post then. I think we can both agree that we just have way too much work and too little time, and we were the ones who signed up for it.  

IvyStarling
Crew

Prince-I

Dapper Elocutionist

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2014 3:08 pm
So much truth.  
Main Forum

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers