Welcome to Gaia! ::

Anime Conventions: The Global Connection

Back to Guilds

A guild dedicated to sharing/discussing conventions, cosplay, anime, and manga from across the world 

Tags: Convention, Cosplay, Anime, Crossplay, Manga 

Reply Canadian Conventions
Animethon (August 2024) Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

KayaLing

Vice Captain

Interesting Gaian

13,540 Points
  • Gaian 50
  • Signature Look 250
  • Angelic Alliance 100
PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 5:22 pm
This thread is all about Animethon. Feel free to mention if you're going to attend Animethon and what cosplay(s) you will be wearing.

What Is It?:
gaia_crown Animethon is a 3 day anime convention.

When Is It?:
gaia_crown Animethon occurs in August.

Where Is It?:
gaia_crown Animethon occurs at the Edmonton Conference Centre in Edmonton, Alberta.

Where to find more information about Animethon and ATOTA:
gaia_crown deviantART
gaia_crown Facebook Group
gaia_crown Facebook Page
gaia_crown Instagram
gaia_crown Tumblr
gaia_crown Twitter
gaia_crown Website
gaia_crown YouTube

Updates:
gaia_crown At Animethon 24 (2017), it was announced that Animethon 25 will now occur at Shaw Conference Centre.
gaia_crown ATOA is not happening until further notice.
gaia_crown Location is the same as before, but under the new name ‘Edmonton Convention Centre’ instead of ‘Shaw Convention Centre’.
gaia_crown Animethon 27 has been cancelled for this year due to the COVID-19 situation and is now postponed to August 6-8, 2021. See this link for details.
gaia_crown Animethon 2021 has been cancelled and postponed due to COVID still. No new date has been announced yet. See this link for details.

gaia_crown Animethon 30 was Animethon’s 30th anniversary and occurred July 14-16, 2023, due to the venue having renovations during Animethon’s usual August dates.
gaia_crown At Closing Ceremonies of Animethon 30, it was announced that Animethon 31 is back to the usual August dates.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2014 8:07 pm
UPDATE!!! A Taste Of Animethon is on February 20-21, 2015.

I really want to attend it, but my funds go to school. ;__;  

KayaLing

Vice Captain

Interesting Gaian

13,540 Points
  • Gaian 50
  • Signature Look 250
  • Angelic Alliance 100

osculum obscenum

Sarcastic Star

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2015 4:29 pm
saving for my college course so I can't make atoa but i'm going to animethon as usual. not entirely sure what i'm going as this year!

emotion_dealwithit

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2015 5:17 pm
UPDATE!!!

A Taste Of Animethon is January 22-23, 2016, at the Shaw Conference Centre!!!

KayaLing

Vice Captain

Interesting Gaian

13,540 Points
  • Gaian 50
  • Signature Look 250
  • Angelic Alliance 100

KayaLing

Vice Captain

Interesting Gaian

13,540 Points
  • Gaian 50
  • Signature Look 250
  • Angelic Alliance 100
PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2016 10:09 pm
UPDATES!!!

gaia_crown Grant MacEwan University is now called MacEwan University.
gaia_crown Animethon 23 is on August 5-7, 2016.
gaia_crown The theme for Animethon 23 is mystery. The mascots are dressed like detectives, in respect to Sherlock Holmes and Watson.

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2017 10:26 am
UPDATE!!!

I should have updated the dates for Animethon 24 (essentially Animethon 2017) sooner.

gaia_crown Animethon 24 is happening on August 11-13, 2017.
gaia_crown The theme for Animethon 24 is racing. Mascots are dressed in racing gear.

KayaLing

Vice Captain

Interesting Gaian

13,540 Points
  • Gaian 50
  • Signature Look 250
  • Angelic Alliance 100

KayaLing

Vice Captain

Interesting Gaian

13,540 Points
  • Gaian 50
  • Signature Look 250
  • Angelic Alliance 100
PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2017 10:35 am
After 4 years, I will finally attend Animethon again for the second time! I'm super excited to finally meet two of my favorite Final Fantasy XV voice actors, Ray and Robbie, there!

I also already have my cosplays for Animethon figured out. The days are still not 100% though. When the panel schedule is up, I'll post again about my exact cosplay lineup.
gaia_star Early Pickup (Thursday): female Kingdom Hearts 2 Riku, which I like to call Rika
gaia_star Friday: casual Zexion (Kingdom Hearts) for a KH panel; If panel doesn't happen, I'm being Kingdom Hearts 2 Riku
gaia_star Saturday: most likely Noct Gar (Final Fantasy XV); If not, I'm being Reno (Final Fantasy VII)
gaia_star Sunday: most likely Reno (Final Fantasy VII); If not, I'm being Noct Gar (Final Fantasy XV)

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 8:36 am
UPDATE!!!

gaia_crown The next 'A Taste Of Animethon' (aka ATOA) is happening on January 19-20, 2018!

KayaLing

Vice Captain

Interesting Gaian

13,540 Points
  • Gaian 50
  • Signature Look 250
  • Angelic Alliance 100

KayaLing

Vice Captain

Interesting Gaian

13,540 Points
  • Gaian 50
  • Signature Look 250
  • Angelic Alliance 100
PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2017 5:40 pm
UPDATES!
gaia_crown Animethon 25 is on August 10-12, 2018.
gaia_crown Animethon is turning 25 years old in 2018!
gaia_crown Animethon 25 (and probably years to come) will now occur at Shaw Conference Centre.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2017 7:00 pm
KayaLing
After 4 years, I will finally attend Animethon again for the second time! I'm super excited to finally meet two of my favorite Final Fantasy XV voice actors, Ray and Robbie, there!

I also already have my cosplays for Animethon figured out. The days are still not 100% though. When the panel schedule is up, I'll post again about my exact cosplay lineup.
gaia_star Early Pickup (Thursday): female Kingdom Hearts 2 Riku, which I like to call Rika
gaia_star Friday: casual Zexion (Kingdom Hearts) for a KH panel; If panel doesn't happen, I'm being Kingdom Hearts 2 Riku
gaia_star Saturday: most likely Noct Gar (Final Fantasy XV); If not, I'm being Reno (Final Fantasy VII)
gaia_star Sunday: most likely Reno (Final Fantasy VII); If not, I'm being Noct Gar (Final Fantasy XV)

A Recap Of My Experience At Animethon 24!!!
So, I ended up revising my cosplay lineup again after a previous post about it. XD I should also mention that I got my first X-Pass (aka VIP pass) this year. As a X-Pass attendee, you don't have to wait in line for more than 30 minutes to guest panels, guest autographs, guest photo sessions, and main events. You get first dibs on seating before anyone else, provided you get in line 15-20 minutes before panel/event starts. You also get to participate in Meet&Greet guest panels, which are exclusive to being a X-Pass attendee.

gaia_crown Cosplayer: C-World Productions
User Image

gaia_star Friday AM/PM: Camellia Gakupo (Vocaloid) - I went to Opening Ceremony. I was also part of a Camellia Vocaloid photo shoot. I'm still waiting on the photos from it, so here is a selfie of my Camellia Gakupo cosplay instead.
User Image

Before I changed into Noct Gar, I went to Vendors and Artist Alley. At Vendors, I found a Luka plushie (as seen in selfie) and a Chocobo plushie (as seen in first Noct Gar picture). At Artist Alley, I stopped by King Cael's table. Their watercolor artwork is awesome. They also cosplay as Prompto. They're the real life Prompto to me! Oh, and they loved the Frog plushie and Froggy Prompto art the I gave them!

gaia_star Friday PM: Noct Gar (Final Fantasy XV) - Since I found a Chocobo plushie earlier, I changed my Easter Chick lure to the Chocobo plushie. I even lured a few Prompto with my fishing rod because of it. I went to the Meet&Greet With Ray Chase and Max Mittelman. Robbie Daymond was supposed to be there, but his flight got delayed. :/ At this panel, you get to ask for autographs and pictures with guests. I got Ray Chase to sign a Noctis print and Max to sign an One Punch Man print.

gaia_crown Guests: Ray Chase; Max Mittelman
gaia_crown Photographer: another X-Pass attendee

User Image

gaia_star Saturday AM/PM (dance): Noct Gar (Final Fantasy XV) - I was part of a Final Fantasy XV photo shoot.
gaia_crown FB Cosplayer: C-World Productions, Valerie
gaia_crown IG Cosplayers: attemptingmediocrity, clankclunk, cossha_cos, cutebeastcosplay, hypercombo64, kappakay, kickpunchcosplay, kitara88, lockvii, nani_mizu, princessofjunes | sototesschmee | junesweetcos, ryanrybot, silverliningcosplay | devouringdark, timelyroyal
gaia_crown Photographer: Andrew

User Image

After I was Reno, I changed back to Noct Gar for the dance. I kind of promised King Cael (aka Prompto) that I would join them at the dance.
gaia_crown Cosplayers: C-World Productions, King Cael
User Image

gaia_star Saturday PM: Reno (Final Fantasy VII) - Right before the Cosplay Contest, I went to the Photo Session With Ray, Max, & Robbie.
gaia_crown Guests: Ray Chase; Max Mittelman; Robbie Daymond
gaia_crown Photographer: Animethon Photo Booth

User Image

I was in the Cosplay Contest under the group name, Destiny AC, with my Cloud and Tifa. I chose the name because 4 years ago, we met as the Destiny Islands trio from Kingdom Hearts series at Otafest; 4 years later, we were able to cosplay from the exact same series again, but as Final Fantasy VII: Advent Children characters at Animethon. We were the last skit of the day. We went onto the stage, did a battle pose, Reno said a battle line, Tifa said a battle line, Cloud proposed to Tifa, Tifa said yes, and then we walked off. It was a honor to be asked by our Cloud if I could help him with his proposal.
gaia_crown Cosplayers: C-World Productions, Lockheart Cosplay, Alex
gaia_crown Photographer: Gecko Photography

User Image

After the Cosplay Contest, we were part of a General Final Fantasy photo shoot.

gaia_star Sunday: Noctis (Final Fantasy XV: Brotherhood)

gaia_crown Photographer: Andrew

User Image

I was finally able to go to the autograph session for Robbie Daymond's signature. Since I already had Ray and Max's autographs from the Friday, I just ended up talking to them as I waited in line for Robbie. I talked to Ray about beaaans and FFXV side characters. I talked to Max about con experience and food (poutine; Timmies). As Robbie signed my friend's steelbook of FFXV and my PlayArts Prompto, I talked to him about the price of PlayArts Prompto. I also went to Let's Play FFXV With Ray Chase and Robbie Daymond before going to the Closing Ceremony.  

KayaLing

Vice Captain

Interesting Gaian

13,540 Points
  • Gaian 50
  • Signature Look 250
  • Angelic Alliance 100

smithers456

Captain

Friendly Explorer

9,050 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Guildmember 100
  • Citizen 200
PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 3:05 am
Hi Kaya,

Those Cons are awesome Like many cons around the nation I wish that I could go to them. smile Also thanks for the ton of info for both cons. This is one of the main reasons for join this Guild and that is to share your info about the many cons out their. Sounds like you had the time of your life. smile  
PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 5:08 pm
I know I haven't been the most active member in the world lately, but I did went to my first A Taste Of Animethon a few weekends ago.

I was Noctis on the Friday and Lunafreya on the Saturday. I'm currently waiting on my good pictures of both cosplays from my photo shoots during ATOA 2018. However, in the spoiler below, I got a few hallway photos of my cosplays, which were taken by Billy Wong.

User Image
User Image

I'm slowly upgrading my Noctis cosplay from anime version to in-game version, starting with a new Noctis wig and actually putting more makeup on. I have also started trying to make my dark eyebrows blond, using the gluestick method. This can be seen with my latest Noctis and Lunafreya pictures.  

KayaLing

Vice Captain

Interesting Gaian

13,540 Points
  • Gaian 50
  • Signature Look 250
  • Angelic Alliance 100

KayaLing

Vice Captain

Interesting Gaian

13,540 Points
  • Gaian 50
  • Signature Look 250
  • Angelic Alliance 100
PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 9:07 pm
UPDATES!!!

gaia_crown ATOA is not happening until further notice.
gaia_crown Location is the same, but under the new name ‘Edmonton Convention Center’ instead of ‘Shaw Convention Centre’.
gaia_crown Animethon 26 is on August 9-11, 2019.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2019 3:52 pm
UPDATE!!!

gaia_crown Animethon 27 is on August 7-9, 2020, with a summer Olympics theme!

KayaLing

Vice Captain

Interesting Gaian

13,540 Points
  • Gaian 50
  • Signature Look 250
  • Angelic Alliance 100

KayaLing

Vice Captain

Interesting Gaian

13,540 Points
  • Gaian 50
  • Signature Look 250
  • Angelic Alliance 100
PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2020 10:37 am
IMPORTANT UPDATE!!!

gaia_crown Animethon 27 is cancelled this year due to the COVID-19 situation. It’s now postponed to August 6-8, 2021! See this link for details

Canadian Conventions

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff