Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Alternative Lifestyles Guild

Back to Guilds

A safe place for anyone who identifies with the LGBTQ(IP) community and their allies. 

Tags: lesbian, gays, queer, transgender, LGBT 

Reply 06. "Life Issues" - Advice & Counseling
I Need Advice

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Do you believe it's right for others to judge others for their lifestyle?
  No, it's not right to judge people based on their appearence.
  Yes, it's a freedom of speech.
  I don't care unless it involves me personally.
View Results

Flaming_Lesbian

Romantic Vampire

15,525 Points
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Citizen 200
  • Millionaire 200
PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 6:01 pm
Hello, my name is Emily. I am a lesbian. I live in the southern part of the United States. Also known as the bible belt. In the past I've never had a problem with anyone judging me for my sexuality. Ever since I started dating my girlfriend, I get more and more offended when people use the word "gay" out of context, or when someone religious judges me and my girlfriend for our lifestyles. I try not to let it get to me, but every time I see it I can't help but get mad or upset just for a little bit. My girlfriend posted a status yesterday about how much she loved me. Someone religious commented, " Definitely NOT attitude or the belief of a Christian Laura !!" I believe it's okay to believe different things, but I don't think it's okay to try to judge someone just for their lifestyles. I don't know what to do anymore. I believe I am about to slip soon enough if this crisis doesn't stop. Why point a finger at someone and say it's against the terms of the bible? I love my girlfriend fully, and I want to live in a world where I am not criticized and can walk hand and hand with my girlfriend into like a church, or even school. Just this past Wednesday I was scared to attend my girlfriends church.  
PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 6:11 pm
Oreos_are_Racist
Hello, my name is Emily. I am a lesbian. I live in the southern part of the United States. Also known as the bible belt. In the past I've never had a problem with anyone judging me for my sexuality. Ever since I started dating my girlfriend, I get more and more offended when people use the word "gay" out of context, or when someone religious judges me and my girlfriend for our lifestyles. I try not to let it get to me, but every time I see it I can't help but get mad or upset just for a little bit. My girlfriend posted a status yesterday about how much she loved me. Someone religious commented, " Definitely NOT attitude or the belief of a Christian Laura !!" I believe it's okay to believe different things, but I don't think it's okay to try to judge someone just for their lifestyles. I don't know what to do anymore. I believe I am about to slip soon enough if this crisis doesn't stop. Why point a finger at someone and say it's against the terms of the bible? I love my girlfriend fully, and I want to live in a world where I am not criticized and can walk hand and hand with my girlfriend into like a church, or even school. Just this past Wednesday I was scared to attend my girlfriends church.

I really don't have any advice for you as I've never had to deal with people and their religious beliefs being pushed onto me. It's hard not to take what they say to heart as I hate judgement and it gives me anxiety when it happens. I'm bad at taking my own advice as I feel some things are easier said than done but try not to let their opinions bother you as you're a different individual than they are and grew up in a different way. I don't mind when people use "gay" out of context because I know it's not directed towards me or other homosexuals. I would say just show them you're happy by being happy with your girlfriend and don't let their negativity get to you as you're enjoying yourself and they're filling themselves with negative emotions. The way I see it is I can let them bother me and have both parties feeling negative or I can try and ignore them and show them that I'm happy in the relationship. Again, it's hard for me to even take my own advice. I'm not sure how old you are but I find as I started to get older, it definitely got easier. Especially as soon as I got out of high school as I didn't have to deal with the ignorant assholes I grew up with. I'm sorry I can't be much help, but it really does get better. People may try and hate on you, but just know that you're living for yourself and not for others!!!

Edit: I just read the poll. I don't think it's right but it's not something you can stop. I feel, as bad as this might sound, it's something everyone has to deal with.  

DeathxGrip

Dedicated Browser

06. "Life Issues" - Advice & Counseling

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces