rmcdra
Captain

Loved Seeker

11,700 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Partygoer 500
  • Contributor 150
PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 9:37 pm
I've become aware recently that philosophically I'm still a materialist at heart. No not that I have to have stuff, but that I still on some level believe that everything is essentially matter. Through my own experiences, I know this to be false and that there is more than just matter, but I keep falling back in looking at the world through materialistic (philosophical) eyes. Has anyone here gone through this problem? How did you over come it? The advice I was given by my friend and fiancee was to stop making assumptions about things and critically examine what I'm sensing. Ask is what I'm sensing have a materialist basis or am I just trying to force what I'm sensing into a materialist worldview? I'll be honest it sounds crazy to me because too often you hear about it being the other way around. So yeah any input on this would be helpful.  
PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 5:56 pm
rmcdra
I've become aware recently that philosophically I'm still a materialist at heart. No not that I have to have stuff, but that I still on some level believe that everything is essentially matter. Through my own experiences, I know this to be false and that there is more than just matter, but I keep falling back in looking at the world through materialistic (philosophical) eyes. Has anyone here gone through this problem? How did you over come it? The advice I was given by my friend and fiancee was to stop making assumptions about things and critically examine what I'm sensing. Ask is what I'm sensing have a materialist basis or am I just trying to force what I'm sensing into a materialist worldview? I'll be honest it sounds crazy to me because too often you hear about it being the other way around. So yeah any input on this would be helpful.

Ever hear and live the phrase, "stop and smell the roses"? Well, I think it can be kind of built upon in this case at face value. Instead of looking at something and forcing it, look at something and just look at it being it. It does not matter if it is what you want it to be, it just is.

I personally think of everything as energy. Whether I can reach out and touch in, in the case of nachos or just seeing something musing at how much energy it must have taken to create such a thing. Or how little. So I guess I am at the opposite side of the spectrum. I find that when I start musing too much, I close my eyes and just live the moment.  

jaden kendam

rmcdra
Captain

Loved Seeker

11,700 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Partygoer 500
  • Contributor 150
PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 6:02 pm
jaden kendam
rmcdra

Ever hear and live the phrase, "stop and smell the roses"? Well, I think it can be kind of built upon in this case at face value. Instead of looking at something and forcing it, look at something and just look at it being it. It does not matter if it is what you want it to be, it just is.

I personally think of everything as energy. Whether I can reach out and touch in, in the case of nachos or just seeing something musing at how much energy it must have taken to create such a thing. Or how little. So I guess I am at the opposite side of the spectrum. I find that when I start musing too much, I close my eyes and just live the moment.
Yeah I have a bad tendency of over analyzing everything. Thanks.  
PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 6:07 pm
rmcdra
jaden kendam
rmcdra

Yeah I have a bad tendency of over analyzing everything. Thanks.

I do too, but when I let myself just be, I tend to figure things our a little easier. One person called them psychotic breaks, but since I haven't actually lost touch with reality, but see it for what it is, then things get much clearer in my head, so maybe, like I said, just close your eyes and then open them again.  

jaden kendam

Main Forum

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff