Welcome to Gaia! ::

THIS IS HALLOWEEN

Back to Guilds

WHERE IT IS ALWAYS HALLOWEEN (and sometimes exams) 

Tags: Halloween, Demons, Monsters, Roleplay, Academy 

Reply { Halloween Subspace } --- Quests and character approval
[Q] Llewelyn - Demon / Shifting Fae [READY]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Bhek

Shameless Member

9,550 Points
  • Somebody Likes You 100
  • Overstocked 200
  • Brandisher 100
PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 10:14 pm
AMITYVILLE ACADEMY ENROLLMENT FORM

Name
    Llewelyn Bruadair Toirdhealbhach (The funny thing is these aren’t made up)

Nicknames
    Lee

Usually male. Appearance changes with emotions or at will.

Faction
    Demon

Race
    Fae, specifically a Shifting Fae

Natural Ability

Shifting – like a cuttlefish or a freaky Indonesian mimic octopus, a shifting fae can change shape and color rapidly. This shifting is constrained by body mass, they aren’t able to grow larger or smaller, only appear to do so through sneaky tricks.

They shift color much more freely and wildly, having a tendency to shift subconsciously. This makes hiding emotions very difficult. Also, while it is possible to cover the body with soft tendrils of all shapes and sizes, they can't form extra limbs, just drastically change the texture of their bodies.

Some aspects are harder to change. The face usually stays the same, only suffering some minor changes. Same with gait and overall posturing. It takes a considerable amount of time and practice to develop the skills and mentality to achieve perfect control over one’s body.

As a young and unexperienced shifting fae, Lee's control over shifting is still very limited. Right now it's more like an inconvenient display of his emotions and subconscious, but he can control it from time to time. It only lasts seconds, maybe a minute, but even when it's under control it doesn't do exactly what he wants. Shifting is an art that takes a lifetime to master.

Personality

Don’t let them see – Constantly wearing his emotions on his face, hair and everywhere for anyone to see made Lee very self-conscious and closeted. He does his best to control the changes, remaining white skinned and black haired as much as he possibly can, but it’s useless in the end. When things happen and emotions roll, it always shows.

A bit too “passionate” – Despite his best efforts to deny his nature, Lee is a demon and a shifting fae at that. They are passionate creatures, shifting through a rapid flow of emotions that could drive someone insane. And truth be told they are a bit insane.

Lee on the other hand buries these impulses deep inside, suffering for it. However, soon enough they erupt in a fit of rage, or an outburst of joy. Depending on who’s watching and what is being shown it can be anything from amazing to horrifying. That moment he feels alive, perfect. Then it goes away and he bottles it up again.

At the end of the day, he’s ice cold all the way until he’s not, then you get to see his real colors.

Color me surprised – Alone Lee is a very different creature. In the privacy of his room, he’s constantly painting. From wall to wall, paintings in different stages of completion and on everything else random dabbles of paint. Except for his clothes, locked in the closet and covered in plastic for extra safety.

This intimate interest comes out at times, when he shows extreme interest in art or anything aesthetically pleasing. His curiosity and infatuation with this is over the top, making him lose control over color and shape. Hypnotic patterns run down his body and hair, mimicking the state of mind, and his whole self seems a little more fluid.

Why are they enrolled in Amityville Academy?

It was his decision. His family has nothing against an academic upbringing, they just find it extremely boring. Besides, Lee was always a bit quirky for his race’s standards. This is better for everyone.

FEAR Ability

Razzle Dazzle
    Rapidly changing colors, patterns and shape, Lee tries to lower the opponent’s accuracy, also hoping to make him as dizzy as possible. His shifting abilities extend to his clothes through FEAR. (The Mind, Offensive Attack)

Physical Description

Eye Colour
    Usually black sclera and white iris.

Hair Colour/Style
    Usually mid length, layered, flowing slowly like paint dropped on clear water. Color varies, read skin colour for more info.

Skin Colour
    Varies constantly with environment and mood. Blends in when comfortable, camouflages when embarrassed, completely black and white when scared. Loses saturation as he gets depressed, or gains with excitement. Patterns constantly wave through body, slowly when calm, rapidly when stressed.

Clothing Style/Colours
    Surprisingly monochrome. Lee enjoys wearing black and white, as sharp and elegant as possible. He has a tendency to overdress for the occasion.

Extra
    Wings, like any decent demon. Lee’s wings are a bit fluid, looking like levitating fabric when not being used. Besides that, a thin prehensile tail, the usual demonic claws and long pointy ears.

Then there are his horns. Like with any shifting fae, it's the most solid part of his whole body, the one thing he's entirely unable to deform. They emerge from the corners of his forehead, covered in skin, and slightly rounded at the tip. Give or take, each is about three inches long.

References
    Working on it.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 10:34 pm
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

Extra info

Character theme and reasons

I was looking for a character that couldn't help showing strong emotions through his whole body. At first I thought of an multi elemental that changed for each emotion: fire for anger, ice for sadness, but that seemed too overpowered. So I came to the idea of a creature made of paint, that changes colors and shape, and later a color/shape shifting fae.

I'm still deciding between what I have now, this Shifting Fae, or an actual demon made of paint/color. The shifiting fae seemed easier to fit since there are so many shape shifting tricksters in folklore, especially demons and fae. They used any shape of dazzling colors, beauty, jewels or plumage to lure humans.

As for the fear inducing aspect of it all, think bad trips, clowns, Alice in wonderland, etc. And creepy kawaii.

Cuttlefish and mimic octopus.

Visual References (WARNING: a bunch of images)

The cuttlefish! (I swear it's the same animal)

See how it not only changes color, but also shape and texture?

User Image User Image User Image

Razzle Dazzle Cammo

Razzle Dazzle is a disruptive camouflage sought to confuse, not to conceal.

"It is essential to break up the regularity of outline and this can be easily effected by strongly contrasting shades ... a giraffe or zebra or jaguar looks extraordinarily conspicuous in a museum but in nature, especially when moving, is wonderfully difficult to pick up." - Winston Churchill

Wikipedia article.

User Image User Image User Image

Art references

Watercolors, street art, superflat, comtemporary art, etc. With many colors, patterns, shapes.

User Image User Image User Image User Image User Image User Image User Image User Image

Bhek

Shameless Member

9,550 Points
  • Somebody Likes You 100
  • Overstocked 200
  • Brandisher 100

Bhek

Shameless Member

9,550 Points
  • Somebody Likes You 100
  • Overstocked 200
  • Brandisher 100
PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 10:40 pm
Reserved.  
PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 10:50 pm
Reserved.  

Bhek

Shameless Member

9,550 Points
  • Somebody Likes You 100
  • Overstocked 200
  • Brandisher 100

Illeander

Sweet Connoisseur

12,250 Points
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Tycoon 200
PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 8:14 am
I like that Lee has trouble hiding his emotions, and actually broadcasts them with is color changing nature. What color does Lee turn when he likes someone?  
PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 3:17 pm
Illeander

That's probably the hardest thing I'll ever describe in an RP. I spent a couple of hours looking for the right video to show you, even found some that came close, like this one and this one, but it just doesn't cut it.

I imagine that it would depend on who he falls for, their personality, and it wouldn't be the same every time they meet. Liking someone is an emotional roller coaster, so he'd have all these overlapping feelings going inside him and over his skin.

Can you imagine? Waves of harmonic colors emerging from his eyes, down his hair, little droplets of color erupting all around like fireworks. As the moment of a first kiss approaches, all colors fade into pure white, perfectly still... then their mouths touch and a kaleidoscope of pulsing patters explodes from his lips, waves after waves of hypnotic colors.

I hope that made some sense, haha ~

Bhek

Shameless Member

9,550 Points
  • Somebody Likes You 100
  • Overstocked 200
  • Brandisher 100

Illeander

Sweet Connoisseur

12,250 Points
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Tycoon 200
PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 6:09 pm
Bhek

The videos made it easier to visualize your description. Thanks.
I saw some of your art in the guest artist thread. Your art is great! You should really draw Llewelyn. You could do his in control black and white self and then a mirror image of him in full on color. That would look so great!
Do you have a Deviantart gallery I can follow?  
PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 6:42 pm
Illeander
Bhek

The videos made it easier to visualize your description. Thanks.
I saw some of your art in the guest artist thread. Your art is great! You should really draw Llewelyn. You could do his in control black and white self and then a mirror image of him in full on color. That would look so great!
Do you have a Deviantart gallery I can follow?

Thanks! I've been thinking about how I'll draw him. I bet it'll be a challenge, he's way out of my comfort zone.

Making a black and white control sounds like a great idea. After that I could recolor his skin all I want. Or even animate the colors flowing around!

Sorry, I don't have any recent DA account. I've been thinking about making a new one, or updating my decrepit one. If I do I'll send you a PM with the link ~

Bhek

Shameless Member

9,550 Points
  • Somebody Likes You 100
  • Overstocked 200
  • Brandisher 100

Illeander

Sweet Connoisseur

12,250 Points
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Tycoon 200
PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 7:02 pm
Bhek

animating the colors is a brilliant idea. It sounds like it will be a tough job, but the finished product will be dazzling.
Yes, make a DA account! Here is a link to mine Sugar-Bells  
PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 7:08 pm
Illeander

I think it can be done with shape effects and masking in after effects. I'll have to try ^^

I saw yours some time ago. I was lurking the hiring thread and saw your stuff. Your work is amazing ~ ^^

Bhek

Shameless Member

9,550 Points
  • Somebody Likes You 100
  • Overstocked 200
  • Brandisher 100

Illeander

Sweet Connoisseur

12,250 Points
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Tycoon 200
PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 7:17 pm
Bhek
Illeander

I think it can be done with shape effects and masking in after effects. I'll have to try ^^

I saw yours some time ago. I was lurking the hiring thread and saw your stuff. You work is amazing ~ ^^

I don't know how to do any of that. What program do you prefer to use? I've been using Photoshop CS2 forever, I haven't really tried anything else.

Thank you!  
PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 8:29 pm
Illeander

I was forced to use Illustrator, Indesign and After Effects when I started college, you can't move forward studying design without these or something similar. Before that though I used Photoshop too.

But, by far, the best drawing program I ever used is Paint Tool SAI. That thing is so good. It's light and has a line stabilizer that makes a huge difference. Seriously, it can chop so much drawing time.

Bhek

Shameless Member

9,550 Points
  • Somebody Likes You 100
  • Overstocked 200
  • Brandisher 100

kuropeco

Dramatic Marshmallow

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 1:19 pm
Bhek

Hey there! I saw you asked for some quest crit! C:

Just a few things!

Nat ability > Right now, from the way it reads, it's a little too overpowered, especially since all students start off as Y1 when first attending Amityville! Perhaps impose a time limit, or some other sorts of restrictions, just to tone it down a little!

Reason for enrollment > Straightforward and fine!

FEAR > This seems okay, but like I said above, there should be certain limits to how much and how often he can change when starting as a Y1 student~

Other than that, everything looks relatively reasonable!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 3:51 pm
I seriously love this quest and what you wrote about this type of fey. If you manage to get him, I would love to have an rp with him and my own faerie, Marosa o3o It would be INTERESTING. heart  

Kanth

Fallen Galaxy

21,490 Points
  • Object of Affection 150
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Battle: Rogue 100

Bhek

Shameless Member

9,550 Points
  • Somebody Likes You 100
  • Overstocked 200
  • Brandisher 100
PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 7:42 pm
kuroopu

I imagined him having a hard time controlling it at all. It's not much an ability right now, more like display of his subconscious.

Though what you said, about the time limit, does help describing how little control he has over it. I'll add an average time limit, something brief, and describe how it takes a lot of effort to control and doesn't do exactly what he wants.

Thanks for the idea and crit! ^^

Kanth

Haha, thanks! And that'll be awesome, if I manage to get him you can count on it~ oUo

{ Halloween Subspace } --- Quests and character approval

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games