Welcome to Gaia! ::

THIS IS HALLOWEEN

Back to Guilds

WHERE IT IS ALWAYS HALLOWEEN (and sometimes exams) 

Tags: Halloween, Demons, Monsters, Roleplay, Academy 

Reply { Halloween Subspace } --- Quests and character approval
[ENROLLMENT] Dietrich Cress the Life Hunter - Approved

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Lady in the Golden Wood

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 6:40 pm
DEUS EX MACHINA PERSONNEL FORM

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

The Hunter
Name: Dietrich Cress
Nicknames: thatgreenbunnyohwaitnonevermind

Category:
Life - Related to "research", including research specifically OF Halloween, its specimens, and ultimately Fear and the abilities of Fear and Hunters.

The Weapon

Name: Meera al-Badisi
Nicknames: Ms. Cusslikeasailor, Pleaseshuddup, Meer
Type of Weapon: Katana with a mace
Unsummoned Form: silver necklace with tiny katana/mace charms
Former species of weapon: Ifrit

Personalities:

Dietrich Cress---
Put poetically, the Bayes' Theorem binds reasoning to the physical universe --- It would be simple to say that Dietrich likes to keep a clear and open mind, but he goes much further than that. His aim is to use his knowledge of cognitive biases to challenge his natural way of thinking in order to develop more accurate predictive models of the world. He then uses evidence that he gathers to confirm or disprove these models and depending on the result, change his own reasoning. This is the philosophy behind the Bayes' Theorem. It describes what makes something "evidence" and how much evidence it is while also weighing in the influence of prior probabilities. Rational inference on the left end, physical causality on the right end; and equation with mind on one side and reality on the other. That's the way that he tries to see the world. I know this description of him could sound very confusing but what it really boils down to is that he takes thinking and coming to conclusions very seriously and while this will not make him free from creating flawed understandings like any other person would, when he does, he not only finds it embarrassing but he will kick himself for not seeing it. "The strength of a rationalist is the ability to be more confused by fiction than by reality. If I am equally good at explaining any outcome, I have zero knowledge."

No really, I'm actually genuinely interested --- Part of the reason that he takes thinking and forming opinions so seriously is that he wants to know the truth. He wants to relinquish his ignorance. Through this, he finds purpose. He wants to understand more. This causes him to practically devour books and at times, study something so intently that he forgets to come out of his room for days. However, his curiosity isn't limited to book materials; it's just that books are easily accessible. He's not very talkative by nature, but when he does talk, he tends to be inquisitive and could probably debate an issue for hours if the other person was willing. Also when he talks to you, he looks at you like you are the only person in the world because really, he is genuinely interested in who you are, what you think, and what you have to say.

That which can be destroyed by the truth should be --- He believes that he should never flinch from experiences that might destroy his beliefs. He seeks continuous confirmation in order to reach a greater truth. If a belief is shown mistaken, he feels that he should properly relinquish attachment to it and seek a new one. However, he will find himself knowingly shying away from the truth at times whether it is to avoid hurting someone's feelings or the simple fear of what the truth might be. He has core beliefs and the destruction of them would break his very being into pieces, metaphorically. On the one hand, he believes in rationality, that he needs to relinquish flawed beliefs in the face of truth, but on the other hand, he is instinctively terrified of it when it looks like it is tearing down one of his core beliefs. For example, he believes that the hunters are good and the Halloweeners are bad and that it is his duty to fight against these dark creatures in order to save the rest of humanity. This is his core belief: what he is doing is good. However, if evidence were to come to him that there was something going very much wrong in this aspect of his perception, he will continue to fight against it because he believes that it is, in the end, good for the world. He wants to avoid thinking about it until it actually destroys him from the inside out, but with enough time and help, he could relinquish his precious view. It's just not simple if it is rewrites his life.

O___O -shifts arms awkwardly- ....o____o -stands against wall awkwardly --- He is pretty awkward when taken out of his element. Does not understand how to small talk and will fidget when uncomfortable. Even more awkward in awkward silences. Will actually just walk away if he is able to and it is awkward enough. When he knows you enough, he is okay. Otherwise, please talk to him first least he gets even more awkward in awkward silences.

Descartes said that "I think therefore I exist" but is that really enough evidence to prove our existence? --- Existential crisis no big deal. Sometimes too much thinking goes around in his head that he starts to think about very bad things like whether he exists or not and that really just leads to a death spiral of horror and hopelessness. Tries not to think about it too much but also feels guilty that he should think about it and get to the bottom of it, but there is really no bottom and it is all an additional mess of internal turmoil. Almost never truly happy.

Meera al-Badisi---
Does your a** ever get jealous of all the the crap that comes out of your mouth? --- Since discovering that only Dietrich can hear her, Meera has picked up a habit of cursing a lot. She figures that it doesn't really matter since only Dietrich can hear her and it's not like he can do anything about it so yeah, whatever. Drops f-bombs like nothing. Thinks Dietrich is a bit of a wuss and should stop sprouting stuff constantly and get out more, switch to a cooler division, do some push ups, and cultivate a better man butt. Can't have it going all flabby. She cares for him, really.

Mine --- Though she sometimes appears to be trying to set Dietrich up with girls and on occasion yummy eye candy guys with comments such as "Hot damn, that butt, go get it Dieeeeeeetrich, go get it for meeeeeee", Meera really just wants Dietrich to herself and will sulk if she feels neglected. Also tends to be very vain. Insists on Dietrich polishing her everyday despite his assertion that it probably was completely unnecessary.

Why did your human character choose to become a Hunter?
Dietrich didn't really know what to do with his life and he always had had a nagging suspicion that there were things creeping around in the dark but had never had enough evidence to confirm his suspicions. People started telling him that he was crazy when he told him about it so he just stopped until he was in college and he started to think that he was seeing things again as he walked back to his dorms after a late night at the library. It eventually got worse and worse and that compounded with his growing uncertainty of his existence and lack of direction for what he should do in the future made him jump at the opportunity when Deus Ex Machina came recruiting.

Him, a Hunter, a person part of a secret coalition to save the world and research, crazy crazy new, fresh on the frontier, research into Halloween. He practically burst with excitement, after confirming that it was not a crazy cult hoax and contracts.

Weapon Ability
Inferno (Gambler's Chance) --- (T2) Meera goes fwoossssh burn world, burnnnn, and Dietrich really wants to have nothing to do with recreating the sixth circle of hell on earth and getting himself partially burned up in the process.

Physical Description:

Eye Colour:
Hair Colour/Style:
Skin Colour:
Clothing Style/Colours:
Extra:
References: All here

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 5:25 pm
Interesting Links and Stuff:
Intuitive Explanation of Bayes' Theorem
Less Wrong

I kinda ripped off aspects of Dietrich's methodology from there. :T But everything I have above is just a couple bases that I want to work off to build his actual character which I don't think I will have a firm grasp of until I have gone through a couple rps with him. He is a bit more complex than ones I usually create. lD;; But in the meantime, critics please? Would love to have any advice. :>

Lady in the Golden Wood

Zoobey
Artist

Magical Incubator

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2014 3:15 pm
//Deus Ex Machina Entry Form 05. 01 .14

//Name: Nancy boy Dietrich Cress
//Gender: Male
// Entry level: Trainee
//Status: Alice in Wonderland
//Clearance: Approved for entry

Lady in the golden wood