Welcome to Gaia! ::

Team Snagem: A Pokemon RP

Back to Guilds

A Pokemon Roleplaying Guild offering a wide variety of features and characters. 

Tags: Gijinka, Snagem, Pokemon, Literate, Roleplay 

Reply Chat Board (for all your OOC needs)
Cold One Review - Strider (2014)

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Blizzard120

Aged Detective

1,425 Points
  • Frozen Sleuth 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Forum Explorer 100
PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 8:54 pm
Holy mother of God, it has been a while since I have done one of these. Truth be told, I've been wanting to do one on several games, but rather it be my laziness or having a case of "Attention Deficit-Oh Shiny" when it comes to other games. It was a vicious cycle that I've been wanting to break for the longest. I may have gotten the game that will get me typing again...

User Image

Originating back in 1988, a manga was published in Japan by the name of Strider. Collaboration between the editors and illustrators of Comic Computique, the publishing company who published the anthology of Strider Hiryu, Capcom, most famous for its Mega Man franchise at the time, lead to one of the hardest games to grace the Nintendo Entertainment System. Since then, Strider has been a cult classic with US and Japanese audiences; though despite which, the hero, Hiryu, has seen little limelight. Only a couple of rehashings of the original game between various consoles, and a sequel that came out for the arcades and the Playstation 1, then fighting game appearances in Marvel vs. Capcom, even the more recent, and now discontinued, Ultimate Marvel vs Capcom 3. Come 2014, however, that changes...Strider Hiryu comes back with his trusty plasma blade, Cypher, to cleave through anyone stupid enough to stand in his way. Does the more recent iteration of the cyber-ninja stand up against the test of time? Find out.

Let me make one thing clear, however. Truth be told, this is the first Strider game I ever played. Ever. Strider is one of those franchises, while I haven't played it until now, it is a franchise that I have looked into and have grown to respect. Regardless of which, I haven't gained a full comprehension of how the continuity is supposed to be, but I'll try my best as always.

User Image
Welcome to Kazakh City...leave your freedom at the door.

The Story:
The story apparently takes place in a alternate time line to the continuity established in the manga and in the games that were released. In the previous continuity, Hiryu ended up getting tasked with a mission to kill a tyrannical being...the being in question actually a borderline deity by the name of Meio. In that continuity, Hiryu ended up killing Meio. Twice.

This continuity however takes place in a alternate universe. Kind of a what-if Hiryu wasn't the first choice to go after Meio. True to form, however, it doesn't go over very well, because one will find that various Striders of various calibers go out to hunt, and kill, Meio...and don't come anywhere close. A process that takes place apparently long enough to for not only Meio to establish dominion, but make his influence spread out world-wide. In this process, it gotten to the point where the ones in control of the Striders say "enough" and send out the best they got.

Now, truth be told, I'd be lying if I said the story was good. Really, its your typical cliche take on 'what-if' this happened instead, which is fine. The problem is, however, that is providing that you are versed enough to even know what is going on in the Strider universe, which fortunately, I knew enough. For those who don't, this may prove to be a headache, if at least a head-scratcher, new to the franchise. You can find in the out-of-the-way story intel section (a option only accessable outside gameplay, in the How to Play menus) just only a brief glimpse of what is going on.

User Image
See this? This is all you get...

The Gameplay:
Ok, so, the story isn't really...there, depending on if you know the actual story or not, and even then it's...eh...debatable. The good news however is that what this game lacks in a cohesive story, it makes up in the gameplay. Strider works in Metroidvania fashion, more Metroid than Castlevania, mind. You have a interconnected city that you travel to, all with its own obstacles to cross, upgrades to find, and enemies to cleave in half with your Cypher.

There are going to be places that you will not going to be initially able to go to without the right upgrade in tow, just as it is in your typical Metroid fare. In a lot of cases, said upgrades are being guarded by bosses that put your fighting skills up to that point to the test.

User Image
Italian Plumbers got nothing on this...

The gameplay, although taking more of a Metroid feel, still retains its simplicity that the original games had. Go from point A to point B, cleave through whoever gets in your way, and if you need help finding your way, you got a map as well as an onscreen indicator to help you find your way around.

The only issue that one may have with the gameplay is perhaps the massive amounts of repetitiveness presented, which in a game like this might not be able to be helped. While the environments don't fail to disappoint, let alone the bosses, the mooks along the way kind of does. There is little variation between each of them, triggering my pet-peeve of pallet-swap enemies since while yes, there are in fact various enemies, but they are essentially the same kind, just a different color and they might do one thing different from another color, IF anything, so constantly hacking and slashing your way from point A to point B the same kinds of enemies gets irritating at times.

The Graphics:
Now I don't put a game's graphics in so high of regard. However, in case anyone is concerned, think Gamecube, maybe early PS2 looking graphics. To put it in perspective, think back to the days where the graphics are starting to look fairly polished, but game companies still think its a good idea for cut scenes to be played out by virtual mannikins. Sure everyone is talking and is voiced and such, but there's just a bunch of bobbing of the heads and no lip movement to imitate talking and everyone is stuck with the same look on their face from start to finish. Think of that, and you got what the general look of the game.

User Image
Cleaving grin off of face in 3...2...1...

That said, however, considering that this is literally a fifteen dollar downloadable game, this is actually very well done. No kidding, a game released in 2014, polished like this, only $15 dollars, regardless of what platform, rather it be the X-Box 360, PS3 or 4, even Steam (I got the Steam release for those who are curious).

Replay Value:
Despite being a very cheap game, this actually has a fair bit going for it. There are extras to unlock, for one, unlocking two different game modes. One being a survival mode (typical kill everything at the fastest time, or be killed), or a Beacon Run, where a section of the overworld you traverse is closed off and you start running to various points within the closed-off section and clear it at the fastest time. Essentially an obstacle course.

If that isn't enough, the main game itself has three difficulties. B-Rank, A-Rank, and Special-A, or rather Easy, Normal, and Hard respectively. Go harder to challenge yourself, or go easier to speed-run it, or whatever. For the record, one of the achievements asks for someone to clear the game in 4 hours. Good luck.

Side Notes:
One thing that this game is guilty of also, and this is going to be true for any Metroidvania style game is have fun trying to get everything. For the actual upgrades, there are indicators on the map to find them. Any of the more secret areas, let alone the secret unlockables, are by no means indicated and left to your own discretion to find. For that matter, for those not used to the Metroidvania style, backtracking is going to be involved. A lot. For those who are, truth be told, there's not too much room to explore on your own volition. By that I mean it'd be best recommended that you have at least every means to getting through whatever door, and by the time you do, it'll be close to the end of the game. Fortunately, the game does warn you of a 'point of no return' should you try to get there. Regardless, a Metroidvania title, regardless of what it is, is supposed to encourage exploration the moment you get that new trinket, upgrade, etc. Strider 2014, however, on some occasions PUNISHES someone, by putting up enemies in the way that if not impossible to kill, then just really hard.

Should you however get ballsy enough to go out and explore the massive city and move about every nook and cranny of the massive city, you will be treated to pick-ups containing concept arts and story intels that you can look at on the extras menu out of the game. For that matter, you can pick up on a few easter eggs, should you spot them.

User Image
Subtle...very...very subtle.

The Final Say:
All in all, in the main game is roughly a few hours long on your first endeavor. Capcom's take on a Metroidvania romp doesn't really disappoint. Forgive the couple of shortcomings that this cheap game has and you're probably going to be in for a time. The game, albeit on the repetitive side in going from boss to boss, is nevertheless action-packed from start to finish. The boss battles are true to Capcom's style and epic to fight in. Finally, just at the very least seeing Strider Hiryu in another game finally and giving him justice unlike their supposed flagship Blue Bomber, is a big reprieve and a step in the right direction for Capcom. For fifteen dollars, you can't really go wrong with this title. I'd give it a 7 out of 10.

User Image
Ride On, Lone Cyber-Ninja...

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 6:38 am
I never heard of this game until now, and after reading your review I want to play it. What mind magic did you use on me, sorcerer!? Still, excellent review, Blizz. I still say you should look into getting paid to review games.  

SubonicXP

Captain

Devoted Sex Symbol

5,625 Points
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Marathon 300
  • Partygoer 500

Blizzard120

Aged Detective

1,425 Points
  • Frozen Sleuth 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Forum Explorer 100
PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 8:23 pm
SubonicXP
I never heard of this game until now, and after reading your review I want to play it. What mind magic did you use on me, sorcerer!? Still, excellent review, Blizz. I still say you should look into getting paid to review games.

Eh, you know, if I did paid reviews, I don't think I'd get as much enjoyment out of it. Its kind of like my drawings, actually...which...I really should do another one of... X_x"

Though, incidentally, on the note of Strider...its actually funny you mention about not knowing him. It's probably a good thing that his games aren't being made by the droves like say Mega Man or even Resident Evil, if you're looking for Capcom examples. Jesus christ, the stagnation as of late with those games. Mega Man 10? Resident Evil 6?

Now thats what I call video games #54? Bad pun, but geez...  
PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 9:51 am
Blizzard120

Eh, you know, if I did paid reviews, I don't think I'd get as much enjoyment out of it. Its kind of like my drawings, actually...which...I really should do another one of... X_x"

Though, incidentally, on the note of Strider...its actually funny you mention about not knowing him. It's probably a good thing that his games aren't being made by the droves like say Mega Man or even Resident Evil, if you're looking for Capcom examples. Jesus christ, the stagnation as of late with those games. Mega Man 10? Resident Evil 6?

Now thats what I call video games #54? Bad pun, but geez...

It is kind of funny, the best games these days are the unknown ones. That is until they reach critical acclaim and end up on a tablet...  

SubonicXP

Captain

Devoted Sex Symbol

5,625 Points
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Marathon 300
  • Partygoer 500
Chat Board (for all your OOC needs)

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers