Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Dragon Quest/Warrior Guild

Back to Guilds

A guild for all your Dragon Quest/Warrior needs! 

Tags: JRPG, Slimes, Roto, Alefgard, Zenithia 

Reply Party Chat (Chatterbox)
SQUARE ENIX MAKES AN AMAZING DISCOVERY!

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

ThePersonInFrontOfYou
Vice Captain

Wheezing Wench

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 8:53 am
THAT PEOPLE OUTSIDE OF JAPAN

LIKE JRPGS!

The proof is in the pudding.

Apparently Bravely Default's excellent sales have finally made the Square Enix execs wake the funk up and realize that JRPGs are enjoyed worldwide. Sure, we had a slow start, but we have loved them obviously for quite a long time. Did you think OP Rainfall was just for shits and giggles? Nintendo Power's old Epic Center article from the SNES era was just blowing hot air?

I am happy to be the owner of a Bravely Default cartridge that was bought new, so I am happy to be a contributor to this AMAZING realization!

Now let's get some more DQ games released worldwide!  
PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 2:06 pm
Actually, it's funny you mention Bravely Default, as at that time, it seemed that Square Enix was putting all of its resources into it. Perhaps now that it's out and ripping up the western shores and wallets, SE will have more time to focus on localizing other games? With E3 coming in the second week of June, I sincerely hope this news is reflected, not only in Nintendo's demonstration, but other gaming companies as well. I know for a fact that DQ I & II were localized for the iOS just this January, which is sort of a mini landmark for the series, as this is the first time they hit handheld devices in the west that I'm aware of, so I'm not going to say that DQ is totally dead in the west, I'm still optimistic.

At the same time though, over in Japan, not only did they get the first Dragon Quest for iOS, but they also got all the way up to VIII announced for release for iOS, dastardly fiends.

There's also the somewhat archaic news dating back to January and February of SE trademarking the title, ""Luminaries of the Legendary Line" in the west, which sounds pretty Dragon Questy if you ask me. Also, not to mention the other trademark title, "Seeds of Salvation", which personally, I'm not 100% sure what this would be. Of course, I could be a pessimist, and say the two titles are pertaining to localizing the iOS remakes, which would still be a good thing, but I don't know, mobile phone gaming isn't really a big of a thing as it is in Japan, and everyone would be more excited with an actual console game being localized.

Lastly, just an interpretation from myself, it seems that SE is really starting to push mobile phone gaming. In addition to the DQ series being added to the iOS, they also announced FFV and VI, as well as Secret of Mana. As I mentioned before, I'd much rather have a console release, as personally, I could never get into mobile phone gaming, as the controls were always too clunky for me.  

The Lolwut Pear
Captain

Mega Fatcat

12,650 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Megathread 100
  • Elocutionist 200

ThePersonInFrontOfYou
Vice Captain

Wheezing Wench

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 2:24 pm
Final Fantasy 4: The After Years was originally released for mobile phones in Japan if I remember correctly. It got a worldwide release and remake for consoles eventually. I haven't played it myself (I'm actually scared to touch it myself and don't really want to play it), but that's something to note when it comes to Square Enix and Mobile phone releases.

I heard about the DQ mobile phone releases but I assumed it was not from a credible source. I was wrong. I can't imagine playing something like DQVIII on a mobile phone though. A field that big deserves a television. I'm not huge into mobile phone games myself (I don't even have any!), but even if I was I can't see that being ideal for VIII. The others, yeah sure.

I just find this extremely belated realization on SE's part stupidly hilarious. It doesn't necessarily mean we'll get DQ games over here, but as a longtime DQ fan what the heck am I supposed to make of it?

Those titles may be a "seed of salvation" for the DQ fanbase, but unfortunately I wouldn't bet on it. Though from SE it sounds a lot perkier than their usual fare, fitting in with the DQ line. It isn't Bravely Second, we already know that Bravely Second will be Bravely Second.

As for Bravely Default itself, I know that they want to turn it into a yearly thing and already have a second game and a browser-based minigame (?) in the works for it. They did pour a lot into it, and it shows. One potential interpretation of all of this is that they put a lot of resources into something that sold very well worldwide, therefore it was a worthwhile investment.  
PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 4:28 pm
Bravely Default will be the new Final Fantasy. Think we'll see up to Bravely Default XIV?  

gabriel sama

High-functioning Player

Ninja Ryu11

Friendly Seeker

9,025 Points
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Peoplewatcher 100
PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2014 6:37 pm
My apologies for not posting my thoughts about this sooner...(I suppose later is better than never right?)

I haven't had the pleasure of playing Bravely Default, so I don't have any current thoughts about it. All I know is that it was received fairly well by audiences. I'm not certain on the details like in copies sold, but I'm very sure that it was a big number. And I've heard the game is fairly good, so I may give it a go someday when I've got money for it.

I do hope Square Enix gives west more DQ love someday... As I still haven't lost hope yet...

As for Roy's comment, I actually wouldn't be surprised if it did become the new final fantasy but we'll just have to see about that. XD

About DQVIII being on a mobile device.. I'm definitely with Tiki on this. I personally don't really see the point of it really.. That game deserves to be on the big screen. It's really such a beautiful Ps2 game and the amount of work and details that Level-5 put into it really held up immensely even to this day! The world is so vast and there's so much to explore with such an excellent soundtrack. It's just something a mobile phone can't imitate.

I'm generally alright with the older DQ games though. I think it can work quite well. I don't particularly care for mobile games much. But I see nothing wrong with those being on mobile devices really...  
Party Chat (Chatterbox)

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games