Welcome to Gaia! ::

Anime Conventions: The Global Connection

Back to Guilds

A guild dedicated to sharing/discussing conventions, cosplay, anime, and manga from across the world 

Tags: Convention, Cosplay, Anime, Crossplay, Manga 

Reply Convention Experiences & Running Panels/Conventions Info
Convention Improvements

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

smithers456

Captain

Friendly Explorer

9,050 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Guildmember 100
  • Citizen 200
PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2014 10:45 pm
Over the years I have seen the three conventions that I go to grow and become more popular. I feel for the staff at the cons at times for the hard work that they have to do just to keep things going. I also admire them for the hard work that they put into something that they Love. Some of the cons out their have become so big and popular that they get out of control and unfortunately can take some of the fun out of going to them. I would like to know what you think could happen or needs to be done to make these crowded cons more enjoyable.  
PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 9:56 pm
A local con here *small one* has recently added a cap to the amount of guest. Last year badges sold out 2 weeks before the actual con.  

Extreme Cuddler
Crew

Sparkly Sex Symbol

smithers456

Captain

Friendly Explorer

9,050 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Guildmember 100
  • Citizen 200
PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 12:12 am
Extreme Cuddler
A local con here *small one* has recently added a cap to the amount of guest. Last year badges sold out 2 weeks before the actual con.

Wow, that's amazing. It sounds like this "small con" needs a bigger place. I know that a lot of people that go to the conventions really like seeing the guests that show up. It could turn them away if their is a cap on the number of guests. At the same time more guests can make it harder for crowd control. This could make it a tough challenge to decide what to do either way.  
PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 12:10 pm
smithers456
Extreme Cuddler

Wow, that's amazing. It sounds like this "small con" needs a bigger place. I know that a lot of people that go to the conventions really like seeing the guests that show up. It could turn them away if their is a cap on the number of guests. At the same time more guests can make it harder for crowd control. This could make it a tough challenge to decide what to do either way.
by guest I ment regular attendee, I should of specified that. Special guest that I know of doesn't have a cap but, its usually the same ones since they live locally. Only a few different ones a year *like the band, a voice actor of a recent popular anime etc*  

Extreme Cuddler
Crew

Sparkly Sex Symbol

xinitia

Crew

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2014 9:25 am
Fanime is one of my favorite cons to attend, but the number of attendees has just exploded! Last year the pre-reg lines were around 4 hours long! This year they completely re-did the system, and I didn't even have to wait in line! Rather than pick up pre-printed badges, we brought in an email that they scanned, and printed your badge right there. It was great!  
PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2014 12:59 am
Extreme Cuddler
smithers456
Extreme Cuddler

by guest I ment regular attendee, I should of specified that. Special guest that I know of doesn't have a cap but, its usually the same ones since they live locally. Only a few different ones a year *like the band, a voice actor of a recent popular anime etc*

Thanks, I have a better picture of what you were talking about. At Shuto Con 2014 in Lansing Michigan they placed a cap on how many people could go to the con. The cap was 7,000. Even with the cap the con was too crowded. As a result I had to get my tickets on line for the first time which I didn't care for. It might not be a popular idea at first but I think that the cap should have been lower like 6,000. It's amazing how popular the cons have become.  

smithers456

Captain

Friendly Explorer

9,050 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Guildmember 100
  • Citizen 200

Extreme Cuddler
Crew

Sparkly Sex Symbol

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2014 8:41 pm
smithers456
Extreme Cuddler
smithers456
Extreme Cuddler

Thanks, I have a better picture of what you were talking about. At Shuto Con 2014 in Lansing Michigan they placed a cap on how many people could go to the con. The cap was 7,000. Even with the cap the con was too crowded. As a result I had to get my tickets on line for the first time which I didn't care for. It might not be a popular idea at first but I think that the cap should have been lower like 6,000. It's amazing how popular the cons have become.
yeah, it can be a hassle at times, one of the local cons here suggested maybe mailing their badges through mail for an additional fee for the ones that wanted to get it by mail and not wait in line.  
PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 10:51 pm
Extreme Cuddler
smithers456
Extreme Cuddler
smithers456
Extreme Cuddler

yeah, it can be a hassle at times, one of the local cons here suggested maybe mailing their badges through mail for an additional fee for the ones that wanted to get it by mail and not wait in line.

A couple of the cons I go to experimented with that, but the badge fraud was so rampant that they switched back to distributing the badges at con.  

xinitia

Crew

Extreme Cuddler
Crew

Sparkly Sex Symbol

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 1:40 pm
xinitia
Extreme Cuddler
smithers456
Extreme Cuddler
smithers456
Extreme Cuddler

A couple of the cons I go to experimented with that, but the badge fraud was so rampant that they switched back to distributing the badges at con.
yeah, I can see that happening, they brought this idea up about 2yrs ago but, it never fell through  
Convention Experiences & Running Panels/Conventions Info

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games