Welcome to Gaia! ::

Saving Christianity from Christians

Back to Guilds

a Guild for teh eBil liberals 

Tags: Liberal, Christian, Exegesis, Study 

Reply Main Forum
Are long life & length of days 2 different things biblicly?

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Length of days means:
You will have days that seem long enough that you can do everything you put your mind to
100%
 100%  [ 1 ]
You will actually have more days left to live
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Both
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Niether, something else
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 1

MistressOfTheShadows

Enduring Master

23,725 Points
  • Energy Squad 200
  • Energy Generator 250
  • Battery 500
PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 12:41 pm
It says in the 10 commandments honor thy mother and father and your days will be long, but in Proverbs 3:2 (after keep my commandments is stated in verse 1) length of days, and long life, and peace, shall they add to thee.

This wording makes it appear that long life and length of days are not one in the same, but two things that could have different meanings.

My Sunday school said that long life is what refers to the years you live, but interprets "length of days" to mean more productive days in which your able to get more things accomplished that you set out to do.

I believe that if this is so, then many people may be misinterpreting the bible to mean that you can live longer when you honor your mother and father, when it really might just mean that if you honor them they will teach you ways to be more efficient in doing things and will help you to get more things done, or at least not be physically or metaphorically standing in the way of accomplishing things by nagging and criticizing you when you should be free to do what you need to do.

How do you interpret it though?  
PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 3:31 pm
My simple answer; learn from them, as not to repeat the same mistakes, to quicken your tasks set before you, and to become greater[in a sense] of the two parts. In short as the Vulcan say, "live long and prosper."

Keep in mind the bible has been rewritten hundreds of thousands of times, the verse it self could have been different in your bible as to someone else'. So, I ask what does the parts surrounding 3:2 say to you and do you draw the same conclusion. I mean, I could take one part of the romantic and tragic tale of Romeo and Juliet, and what Shakespeare was trying to say on it's head. Just as easy, as many people who take one line from one passage from the Bible.  

Southern Cross Nemesis

Main Forum

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff