Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

mouselet

Obsessive Bookworm

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2014 1:32 pm
User Image

The young Reaver was crouched in the tall grass. Somewhere nearby where other Reavers, but a casual observer could be forgiven for not noticing that small fact. Anwar had thought she knew how to hunt before she'd gone on her first Viking.

She'd been so very wrong.

The adolescent was still the new kid in the group, but she was determined to learn. Which was why the Captain of the band had given her the chance to be point today.

So now Anwar was creeping closer to the shadow on the horizon, looking to see if this was a potential enemy or thrall.  
PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2014 1:55 pm
User Image

Tail lashing, Baridi lunged at yet another rabbit hole, missing the tasty little morsel by mere inches. Snarling in frustration, the young lioness scrabbled at the dirt for a moment before giving up and flopping down on the warm earth to sulk.

It truly was not fair, she thought as she tried to clean the dirt from her claws. She'd never wanted to be forced to roam from place to place with no hope of ever having a real and true home of her own. Even the miserable little bunny she'd tried to catch had a home. Granted, it was nothing more than a hole in the dirt. Still.

Huffing softly, she pushed herself to her feet and cast her head about trying to pick a direction. The tiniest rustle in the grass caused her ears to swivel and she wondered if her luck was about to change. Maybe it was another rabbit.

Crouching low, she began to creep towards the rustle.

mouselet

eldritch stardust

Kawaii Prophet

mouselet

Obsessive Bookworm

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2014 2:12 pm
Whatever the shape was, it was definitely noisy. But then the amount of noise dropped off abruptly and Anwar cursed. She must have been detected. But...that was the risk she'd taken, and she wasn't going to give up this opportunity.

The young lioness let out a roar and launched herself into the air towards the noises that had been the shape she'd seen. As she moved, Anwar noticed that her prey was large - large enough to be a lion - and pale. That was all she had time to notice.

Good thing her claws were sheathed.  
PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2014 2:25 pm
In later days, Baridi would never know how she and the other lioness had managed to not knock each other silly in their respective lunges. Maybe it was because she'd made her own move after the younger lioness. Ears flattening in surprise, she managed to twist her body just enough that when the other lioness hit her, it was her side and not her head that got knocked.

Staggering slightly, she stared wide eyed and open mouthed at the darker lioness before blurting out in a disappointed tone of voice, "You're not a rabbit!"

Sitting abruptly, she cocked her head and tried to figure out where this young one had come from. She looked healthy and strong. Had Baridi stumbled into another's territory? It certainly seemed that way.

"I suppose," she continued is a soft, sad voice, "that this is the part where you chase me away."

eldritch stardust

Kawaii Prophet

mouselet

Obsessive Bookworm

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2014 2:40 pm
It was, after that mess of an attack, something of a surprise for Anwar to find herself collapsed on top of another lioness. An older lioness even. The Reaver barely heard the inane comment about not being a rabbit as she scrambled to her feet. Breathing heavily, she stared at the fallen adult who was...talking about a chase?

"Only if you run," Anwar panted. She wasn't sure she'd be able to chase very well, given how the breath had been knocked out of her. Sure, she could run, but not right now.

"Please don't," she growled, still panting.  
PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2014 2:49 pm
Only if she ran? Did that mean she wouldn't be chased off? Ears raising from their flattened position just a bit, Baridi tried to hide her confusion. She watched the panting lioness curiously for a moment before venturing to speak again.

"Erm... if you aren't planning on chasing me off your land, then I won't run. Are you quite all right? Can I... get you anything?"

It seemed strange offering to help this stranger, but she was young and Baridi felt badly for having been involved in whatever injury she might have sustained. Easing forward slightly, she tried to sniff at the lioness before deciding that the panting wasn't a ruse. Then, she offered a shy smile as the humor of the situation struck her.

"Well," she murmured half to herself, "at least we didn't knock our skulls together. That was quite a leap on your part. We'd have knocked ourselves silly."

eldritch stardust

Kawaii Prophet

mouselet

Obsessive Bookworm

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2014 2:56 pm
Well, this was going...fairly smoothly. From what Anwar had been told, most people didn't take well to becoming Thralls. But...not all. Maybe this lioness would be one of the latter. Finally she was getting her breath back.

"You can get me recognition," Anwar told the pale lioness. "By coming back with me to serve the lions born of the storm." She'd imagined this to be a lot more violent. It had never crossed her mind that a Thrall could be taken with no bloodshed at all...but that was what seemed to be happening.

She might want to flex her muscles and her claws, but surely whoever the Thrall ended up serving would prefer her in one piece.  
PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2014 3:18 pm
Blinking owlishly, Baridi considered this. She'd certainly never heard of any storm lions before.

"I... see," she said slowly. "And would you, perhaps, define what you mean by serving? Because in fairness, if you mean some sort of military service, it is only fair that I warn you that I am a lousy fighter."

Then, her curiosity took hold and she couldn't help but pepper the younger lioness with more questions.

"Who are your lions born of the storm anyway? I've done a lot of wandering and never heard that term before."

She was perfectly willing to go along with accompanying the younger female if it meant a place to call home, but she needed to make sure she wouldn't be following her into some sort of hell first.  

eldritch stardust

Kawaii Prophet

mouselet

Obsessive Bookworm

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2014 4:00 pm
Hmmm...she'd never heard of the pride? Well, maybe that made sense. After all, if she had, she'd probably have been taken already. But the thought that someone would want this pale, nonconfrontational adult for a warrior was an amusing thought and Anwar snorted.

"We are the Myrsky Syntynyt, the Stormborn," she proclaimed proudly. "And we don't recruit Reavers this way." A cruel glint came into the purple eyes as she surveyed the adult before her.

"This is how we capture Thralls. But if you'd like to make it more difficult...?" the adolescent offered, leaving her sentence hanging with implied threat.  
PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2014 4:12 pm
Baridi grunted a little, clearly not very impressed by the threat. Thrall, that was a word she knew, sort of. Reaver was entirely new and she was intrigued. The pride this younger lioness felt impressed the pale lioness far more than threats.

If she wouldn't have to fight, it might not be so bad.

"Honestly, I don't think that I'm that much older than you. And wanting to make sure that I won't be strolling blindly into hell is being difficult? Haven't you ever heard that death is preferable to some fates? Some lions are... monstrous."

Baridi shuddered and regarded the other quite seriously. If a thrall was a type of servant, that was fine. Not everyone could be a fancy face. She was honestly okay with that sort of fate. But some of the gossip one heard when one was wandering. It simply didn't bear thinking of.

"One more question then, since you've gotten your breath back and we can start as soon as you like. What's your home like? As proud as you just sounded, you clearly love it. Will you tell me what it's like?"

She paused and again cracked a tiny smile.

"I suppose that was two questions wasn't it."

Getting to her feet, she stretched a bit before indicating that she was ready to move when the other was.

"I'm Baridi by the way."

eldritch stardust

Kawaii Prophet

mouselet

Obsessive Bookworm

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2014 4:35 pm
Anwar rolled her shoulders in a shrug. "As I don't really need a Thrall myself, I can't promise you anything. I don't think all the pride are...monstrous...but there's definitely some who are crueler than others," she admitted, watching the pale adult to see if she'd try to run. "But not all Thralls are kept by a single lion."

The Reaver was surprised that the lioness would ask her about her home, but maybe that was to distract her from an escape attempt. Very well. She'd answer, but be alert.

"We live high on the cliffs, above the ocean. It's not an easy land, but I've heard of worse. It's rocky and harsh, like we are, as you'll find if you try to run." Anwar knew the rest of the band was watching, but she wasn't sure they'd pursue the lioness - Baridi - if she tried to run. In all likelihood, if the pale adult ran and Anwar couldn't catch her, the band would leave her to her failure. She was, after all, quite young to capture a Thrall.

The adolescent didn't bother to introduce herself.  
PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2014 4:49 pm
"Yes, yes, running away bad, I get it. You do like to emphasize the one point don't you."

She was trying to figure out how a multi-lion kept Thrall worked, but was quickly distracted by the young lioness' description of her home. She'd never seen an ocean, though she'd heard others speak of it. Well, well. This was sounding quite promising.

"It sounds beautiful," she said softly. Then, she wrinkled her nose slightly as if trying very hard to not chuckle. "Forgive me, but you don't look at all rocky. Flesh, and fur and bone just like me. And," she became quite serious again, her posture clearly indicating that she was anxious to be off, "you can stop telling me not to run away. Perhaps this is a strange idea to you, but I have been wandering for my whole life. I want a home, a place I can belong. As long as I'm not having my hide flayed from my body, what's a little service when it gives me what I have wanted and dreamed of my whole life?"

She twitched her tail a bit, noting the lack of an introduction on the other's part, but shrugged it away as unimportant.

"Now, are we going or not? Lead the way, miss."

eldritch stardust

Kawaii Prophet

mouselet

Obsessive Bookworm

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2014 5:02 pm
The younger lioness blinked in surprise. This was...easy. Why was it so easy? She understood the part about the pale lioness wanting a home, but she didn't see why the adult was going along with this. Oh sure, not everyone was cruel to Thralls, but it was still better to be Freeborn.

On the other hand...if she came back to the pride as a Thrall, Anwar would still get credit for bringing her. Which could only help. The adolescent stared at her not-quite-captive and shook her head.

"Fine. Follow me," she told the older lioness, looking back to make sure there was no running away. She couldn't quite believe that Baridi wasn't going to try anything, despite all the evidence before her. It was just too unheard of.  
PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2014 5:15 pm
Humming softly to herself, the pale lioness gave a nod of satisfaction when the other finally got up and began walking. Following a a paw's step behind, she watched the dark lioness with interest and something like amusement. Her puzzlement was obvious, but she'd get over it. As far as Baridi was concerned, she would get a home, security and What's-Her-Name would get the recognition that she'd mentioned. Fair deal.

She thought about asking flat out for the other's name, but decided against it for now. There'd be time enough for such things during the journey.

eldritch stardust

Kawaii Prophet

[IC] Rogue Lands [IC]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces