Welcome to Gaia! ::

Anime Conventions: The Global Connection

Back to Guilds

A guild dedicated to sharing/discussing conventions, cosplay, anime, and manga from across the world 

Tags: Convention, Cosplay, Anime, Crossplay, Manga 

Reply Convention Experiences & Running Panels/Conventions Info
Japanese Shougi Chess

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

smithers456

Captain

Friendly Explorer

9,050 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Guildmember 100
  • Citizen 200
PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 11:11 am
Have you ever heard of or played Japanese Shougi Chess?

I haven't played it myself but I have seen it played. smile At the Youmacon convention in Downtown Detroit (Each year at the end of October) they have an event each year called "Cosplay Japanese Shougi Chess". It is an amazing event. The floor of a large room is setup as a life sized chess board. Cosplayers are interviewed and chosen to be the chess pieces and the two players that run the board are chosen as well.

Once everything is setup you see two sides of the life size chess board filled with cosplayers who are in character. Throughout the game the two players that run the board announce what piece (cosplayer) is going to move where. Then the two cosplayers fight and they fight based on how their cosplay character fights. Based on the Japanese Shougi rules of chess one of the two chess pieces dies and has to leave the board.

Their is a running commentary where they talk to the players and the cosplay pieces after they have died. They would ask how did it feel to die or tease them. It's a truly amazing event and fun to watch because the hosts of the event adds their comments as well. It's funny to see two or three Cosplay characters from Super Mario Brothers be on the board and die off in turn like they would in a Super Mario Brothers game. smile The host would mock or cheer on the players and cosplay chess pieces. It was funny when a cute female cosplayer fought and won against a fearsome warrior. The warrior walked off in shame and the pokemon was jumping up and down in glee. It's a wonderful event that I look forward to seeing again at the Upcoming Youmacon 2014 convention.

What do you think of Cosplay Shougi Japanese Chess and have you ever seen this event or a similar event? Also have you ever heard of or played the Shougi Japanese Chess game?  
PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 9:05 pm
I've played Shougi before (though it's been a while). It's a really fun game! I've never played it lifesized, but I play life-sized cosplay American chess at Fanime every year! It's so much fun! Honestly, one of my favorite parts of it is getting "killed". I'm a bit of a ham....  

xinitia

Crew

smithers456

Captain

Friendly Explorer

9,050 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Guildmember 100
  • Citizen 200
PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 2:20 am
xinitia
I've played Shougi before (though it's been a while). It's a really fun game! I've never played it lifesized, but I play life-sized cosplay American chess at Fanime every year! It's so much fun! Honestly, one of my favorite parts of it is getting "killed". I'm a bit of a ham....

That's really awesome. I Love playing regular chess and the only person that can beat me is my Dad. Playing Life Sized chess had to have been fun. Yes the Cosplayers on the Shougi Chess board have fun attacking or defending. Some go through either dramatic, mad or funny deaths.  
PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 6:30 pm
smithers456
xinitia

That's really awesome. I Love playing regular chess and the only person that can beat me is my Dad. Playing Life Sized chess had to have been fun. Yes the Cosplayers on the Shougi Chess board have fun attacking or defending. Some go through either dramatic, mad or funny deaths.

I look forward to it every year.  

xinitia

Crew

Convention Experiences & Running Panels/Conventions Info

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas