Welcome to Gaia! ::

.:. Shadows of Africa - Moving! .:.

Back to Guilds

Reply [IC] Tianxia Lands [IC]
[PRP - North] The Night's Watch (Ua and Malachi)

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Freodwyn

Distinct Elocutionist

14,500 Points
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Tycoon 200
PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 4:23 pm
Nightfall was descending over the North House, but at least one small, stocky lioness was not sleeping. After all, a soldier's duty was to protect her people, and threats could just as easily come in the night as they could during the day.

Truth be told, Ua was looking forward to honing her skills further this evening. She had been working on knowing the feel of the land during the day, its smells and sounds as well as the landmarks she must know in order to protect them. But nighttime was an entirely different creature, full of shadows and interesting things. In short, it was a challenge that she was more than willing to accept.

Ua had heard she was going to be training with other soldiers in her unit today, but to be honest, she had recently switched postings and had no idea who she was stationed with. Suppose the other soldiers and she did not get along? Well, Ua hadn't gotten where she was by backing down from a potential conflict. Besides, honor and pride were the important things.

With a guarded expression, Ua watched and smelled for signs of her fellow pride members, as well as for signs of potential trouble.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 10:30 pm
Malachi had been assigned to the night watch. In anticipation of it, he had gotten decent rest so he could be alert and energized. At night, things were harder to see and discern. His observational skills needed to be on point. Before heading out, he stretched out all his muscles. He did everything with care and to make sure he did his job at his absolute best.

Hoping not to startle the one he was assigned with, he trotted out to where they would meet and called out, "Hello." There was a rather small but well-muscled lioness waiting by herself. She was a nice green color or so he thought. "I'm Malachi or Ta Pao. You may choose your preference. It's nice to meet you."

He hoped that he didn't disappoint her. She looked like she trained hard. Definitely not one to be messed with. He immediately felt a sense of respect for her even though he did not know her well.

Freodwyn
Yay! Thanks again.

Sushi Surfer

Bashful Browser

Freodwyn

Distinct Elocutionist

14,500 Points
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Tycoon 200
PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 5:07 pm
Ua smelled the other lion before she saw him, and she was silently grateful he had not tried to get the jump on her. It would not have bothered her overmuch if he had; it was all part of the training, and a good soldier respected that. But tonight, they were meeting as equals, and he seemed to be just as prepared as she was. It was a good start to a new post, for certain.

"Hello, Ta Pao." she said, inclining her head in greeting. "My true name is Yin Hua, but when we are near the borders you may call me Ua, as I will call you Malachi. Our true names are the only thing separating us from potential intruders, so I do not use mine if an unwelcome guest could overhear it." It was not as if an intruder could prove themselves a member of the Tianxia, even with a faked true name, but it was the principal of the thing.

Well, might as well get the polite conversation out of the way before the real work began. "Are you new to this posting as well?" She'd definitely not seen a lion that shade of pink before, though it suited him.

Sushi Surfer
Thanks to you as well!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 10:48 pm
He bowed his head in a slight show of respect to her. "Yin Hua, a pleasure to make your acquaintance." Malachi was sure that she was his senior in this post. But it seemed that she was new too. "Yes, I am new to this post." In fact, he was still relatively new to the Tianxia in that he hadn't been born here.

He swept the area with his eyes without turning his head much. As a slave he had definitely made use of his peripherals to make sure he was under the radar, out of the way. After being satisfied that they were alone her turned back to her. "I don't mean to pry but you were born in the Tianxia? I am still fairly new here and to my role as a soldier so I may turn to you as my senior in this." He offered her a slight almost shy smile. It was a bit shameful for him to admit that but it was necessary so that she didn't think too much of him. He would hate to disappoint his new partner in this post.

Freodwyn

Sushi Surfer

Bashful Browser

Freodwyn

Distinct Elocutionist

14,500 Points
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Tycoon 200
PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2014 7:25 am
Ua listened politely, though the question gave her pause. "I was born and raised in the North House," she confirmed. "I was the runt of the litter, if you can believe it. But I worked hard for everything that I have, and I did everything I could to learn from those senior to me. There's a phrase my mother used to say...'when you stop learning, you're dead.'"

That smile...it was almost shy. And he was new...here? As in, he had been an outsider welcomed into their ranks? Was it possible that he didn't know how blessed he was? "I don't know where you came from, Ta Pao, but I can assure you that all soldiers are one unit working together for the pride, and I don't consider myself anyone's senior. Indeed, if you are new to the Tianxia entirely, I can assure you that if you were accepted into the North House, our leaders saw great potential in you. We will learn from each other," she said in a matter-of-fact tone that would hopefully not broker any arguments.

Sushi Surfer

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2014 7:31 pm
Malachi listened carefully to what she had to say. It was a bit hard to believe that the lioness before him was the runt of the litter. "I would have never thought you the runt of anything." It was a compliment in a way. She had obviously grown up to be very strong and healthy.

He nodded in agreement to her words. "I hope to learn a great many things in my position here. I owe my life to the Tianxia and will do my best to prove my worth. It is a great honor to be a soldier for the North House." And should he do wrong, he hoped they punished him properly for his actions. Malachi did not plan on doing wrong though. He needed to repay the kindness they gave to him.

"Shall we start our watch then." This time his smile was big, as if he were excited to work, which he was.
Freodwyn

Sushi Surfer

Bashful Browser

Freodwyn

Distinct Elocutionist

14,500 Points
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Tycoon 200
PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2014 7:33 am
Sushi Surfer

Ua laughed at Malachi's compliment about not being the runt of anything, "Yes,it was quite the shock to everyone, I can assure you. But the North House is in my blood, so here I am. We persevere and grow stronger."

Whatever his past life contained, it was becoming more obvious each moment why this lion was a member of her unit. Indeed, the more Malachi talked, the more he proved he belonged in the North. Honor...it was a powerful thing on Ua's mind as well. "As long as we remember what an honor it is, we will serve our house well."

With a final nod, Ua agreed. "We should indeed start the watch. It is my experience that the northwest is the most vulnerable part of our borders. Shall we inspect that area first?"

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2014 9:54 pm
Ua's words really hit home with him. Is that what he had done? Persevered and grown stronger? He didn't feel like he had and if so, it was with the help and kindness of the Tianxia members that took him in. What a sad state he must of been in before this. His past left a definite, invisible mark on him. It was a mark that prevented him from being all he could be, or so he thought.

With the suggestion, he nodded. She would know that since she knew the North House much better than he. All Malachi could do was do his best to remember what he learned tonight. He held his paw out, "Ladies first. I will take the rear if you would trust me at your back."

Freodwyn

Sushi Surfer

Bashful Browser

Freodwyn

Distinct Elocutionist

14,500 Points
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Tycoon 200
PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 6:29 am
A lady? Was that what Ua was? She didn't really stand on ceremony enough to be a lady, though the comparison was amusing. Goodness, the thought of having to keep up appearances all day long, to be required to be pretty all the time...no, that was not Ua at all.

"I would trust you at my back," the lioness said. "We are in the same unit. To not trust my fellow soldier would be to welcome far more danger than one lion could provide. Besides, I would make any sacrifice for my pride." Not that she was looking for a sacrifice to make. That would be silly with a capital S. "This is home, and I am glad to defend it."

Sushi Surfer

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2014 1:37 pm
Her words made Malachi smile. She was a true soldier. Willing to fight, defend, and die for the Tianxia. It was exactly how he felt. No longer was he a slave. No, he was free and he had been given such a highly honored rank within the pride. It made his chest tight with feelings he didn't want to name.

Instead of saying anything, he simply nodded and followed after her lead. He didn't focus on any one spot, sweeping his gaze this way and that. His ears remained perked, alert. The scents upon the air were familiar to him but he was checking for anything unusual. "Let us do our best Ua."

Freodwyn
Sorry it took so long for me to reply!

Sushi Surfer

Bashful Browser

Freodwyn

Distinct Elocutionist

14,500 Points
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Tycoon 200
PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2014 11:19 am
Ua loved this, the simple act of putting one foot forward after another and walking towards a familiar but unknown destination. Her senses were on alert, of course; she may be willing to die for her pride, but there's no sense in dying a death that could be easily prevented.

It seemed she had an equal and a friend in Malachi. A good start to a new post indeed. Nodding at his words, she added, "It is all anyone can ask of us."

While she would never be relaxed this close to the border, she allowed herself one moment of joy in performing her duty for the pride.

Sushi Surfer
No worries, I had a long week and wouldn't have been able to answer anyway.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2014 7:41 pm
Malachi found himself smiling once again. It was a surprise to himself. How many times had he frowned or cried or feared in his life? Too many to count. Yet he could barely remember smiling so much. He felt like he had found a friend in Ua. Someone who understood him and someone who he could understand.

He kept pace with her along their selected route. The night seemed so full of beauty whereas before it was full of terror. Here he was, in the Tianxia, a soldier, doing his duty to them. It was a nice feeling. Not something he would forget anytime soon.

Freodwyn
And fin! Thanks for the rp! We should totally rp again!

Sushi Surfer

Bashful Browser

[IC] Tianxia Lands [IC]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces