Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Alternative Lifestyles Guild

Back to Guilds

A safe place for anyone who identifies with the LGBTQ(IP) community and their allies. 

Tags: lesbian, gays, queer, transgender, LGBT 

Reply 06. "Life Issues" - Advice & Counseling
Age difference

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

you are my disease

Beloved Enabler

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2015 6:02 pm
I have always had a strict rule with myself about dating, no one who is closer to my mom's age than to my age. I spend a lot of time with people older than myself, I find them easier to talk to. I am also used to be flirted with by guys who could be my father. It's just one of those things I chalk up to being slightly attractive and intelligent.

But, and there is always a but isn't there?, I recently started to have feelings for a friend of mine who is 20 years older than me. Disclaimer: I am 24.

We've been friends for almost 3 years now, and we talk about intimate things all the time. The "liking each other" issue never came up until recently. It was just never a thing. But we started talking a little bit more than normal and I caught a few subtle hints he was throwing my way.

So we decided to try it out, and we are absolutely intoxicated with each other. It's mind blowing. We haven't done anything more than just talk on the phone. I find myself connecting to him in ways that I have never connected with anyone.

But I can't help but feel like the age difference is going to be a negative factor. Has anyone had similar experiences? Do you think that age really matters?  
PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2015 6:44 pm
For me, love is love, regardless of age. As long as you aren't breaking any laws, I don't see the problem.  

Vanessa1985

Girl-Crazy Exhibitionist

6,550 Points
  • Nudist Colony 200
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Clambake 200

UnknownUser123456

Detective

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2015 10:32 pm
I am very ..eh.. when it comes to age. I pay close attention to it, and make sure I stay within a 3-5 year age difference. Outside of that, I don't feel comfortable, just because of the things you see involving older people with younger people. I would like to be with someone around my own age.  
PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2015 12:43 pm
You're both adults but the difference between your maturity levels and life experiences is definitely something to consider.

Personally, it's a bit of a red flag for me. I don't know this person, but I would definitely analyze their life as well as their intentions before considering taking any romantic steps.  

colon bracket
Crew

Eloquent Fatcat

7,350 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Tycoon 200
  • Bunny Spotter 50

rielles
Captain

Gracious Hunter

9,700 Points
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Somebody Likes You 100
  • Wall Street 200
PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2015 8:39 am
Because you are not a minor, I don't believe that there is anything morally wrong with loving someone else, regardless of their age. Go for it if you care about them.  
06. "Life Issues" - Advice & Counseling

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games