Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Princess_Feylin

Lonely Bookworm

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2015 11:08 am
Kekäle
Kekäle was still a little irked that his sister had gone her first viking before he had, and he was more than a little irked that their father hadn't taken them, as he had promised he would when they were cubs, but for today he was elated because he was going on his first viking. Not with his family, as he had planned, but that was not important. He would make alliances this way, and make a good impression on lions who were in a position to eventually recommend him for captaincy.

As he looked at the other lions who had assembled for this viking, however, Käle began to feel some doubt about making a good impression. They were older and larger, and more experienced. He was easily the youngest lion on this viking and he imagined he would get all the worst jobs and the least respect.

"Good thoughts," he reminded himself. "This is only a beginning, and it is a good day to die."

Erykk
Erykk was part of that group, and was also one of the large lions that was intimidating the boy a bit. He had taken notice of the younger of the group, as he was about the age Erykk's only offspring were. It almost gave him a soft spot, if there were such a thing for Erykk. He'd been on a few vikings, but this was the first he'd gone on with a less than adult.. He arched an eyebrow, catching a hint of him speaking to himself.

"What was that?" He asked curiously, feeling in a good mood. He normally was when they got to go out on a raid. It was just nice to get outside of the borders and for a purpose. Erykk knew the markings on his pelt though, as though he knew few families.. He remembered Finna's little friend, Canicah.. his markings resembled her own. It made him roll his eyes a little, but he wouldn't hold the boy's blood against him.

"Come on, lad. Is this your first viking?" He asked, trying for conversation. The other lions looked at him, a few laughed at his attempts, and it made him grin and chuckle himself.

"You've grown soft." One of the voices said, and Erykk shook his head with a snort.

"Never. You know better than that."

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2015 11:27 am
Kekäle
"It is," Käle admitted. He almost felt ashamed to say so, but then he recalled that there was nothing for him to be ashamed of. He was young and inexperienced, but he had been asked on this viking based on his own merit, not because his father had arranged anything for him.

"I'm looking forward to it," he went on, speaking specifically to the golden striped lion and trying to ignore the laughter the older lion's laughter had prompted. "Vikings are useful to the pride, and a proving ground for Stormborn warriors. I mean to prove myself on this one."

"I'm Kekäle Brenningson." And wasn't that a mouthful, he thought with a somewhat wry smile. He addressed himself to all the lions. "I am honored to be fighting at your sides."

Erykk
When he admitted, Erykk stood a bit taller. It wasn't easy to admit that it was your first time. Though there was nothing to be ashamed of, many lions thought the youngers green behind the ears. Something to not take seriously. Erykk had rather been like that too. If he was honest with himself he still was. But he supposed maybe he had grown a bit fond of training his children. This male being their age, helped.

"I'm Erykk." He introduced, and it was far less a mouthful than the other's. He was thankful for that. "Tis a good day to die, Kekale." He responded, a firm nod in response to his name. The boy had gumption, that was good. That could get him somewhere.

He introduced himself, getting more snickers though they were quieter this time.

"Ignore them. They were first timers too, I'd wager." He grinned at the other lions, noting their frowns of distaste at what he'd said. Which just made his grin larger.

Princess_Feylin

Lonely Bookworm

Princess_Feylin

Lonely Bookworm

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2015 11:44 am
Kekäle
"Good to know you, Erykk," Käle said as directly as he could manage. If he was going to be raiding like an adult - no as an adult - then he could conduct himself as an adult in other ways, too. That included interacting with his fellow reavers. Because he would be a reaver, too, after this viking.

"You can call me Käle," he offered. "And I think I will ignore them. At least until they demonstrate they're worth paying attention to."

Unsure of himself, he was, but his mother and father had raised him to be better than that. He would not let them down by behaving as a stuttering, bumbling neophyte. He could take whatever ribbing the others dished out and he would give it back, too. It wasn't as if he didn't have lots of practice fending off verbal and physical attacks from siblings who were far less likely to hold themselves back.

"We're leaving soon, right? I mean, everyone's here." Except the captain. That could be a problem.

Erykk
Erykk laughed, nodding and slapping a paw on the back of the younger lion none too gently. He nodded, and sighed as his laugh waned.
"Oh none of them are worth it." He ribbed the others for him, he imagined, though it was normal for Erykk, and the others took no offense.. Merely just groaned and cursed their argument.
"Not even sure I'm worth it, but it's good to fight beside you Kale." He nodded his head at the boy,

"Where is the Captain anyway?" He asked, grumbling. It wasn't very professional too allow oneself, especially the Captain, to be late.

"If he doesn't show soon, I saw we go off anyway." He shrugged his shoulders. "This isn't my first rodeo, and all." He chuckled. He had no qualms leading a viking if he had to.. and he would too, if the Captain didn't show soon.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2015 12:07 pm
Kekäle
"Well, if you aren't, I suppose I'll find out soon enough," Käle replied with a quick grin. He hoped Erykk would realize he was only joking. He sort of liked Erykk, and Käle wanted Erykk to like him, too. "Just so long as you don't leave my flank exposed."

Käle's first instinct was to say that they should wait for the captain to arrive when Erykk proposed leaving without him, but he kept his mouth shut, deciding that he did not want to sound like a goody-goody. So far things seemed to be going pretty well, and being a goody-goody would do him absolutely no good. It would mean he'd have to work harder to impress them later on.

His second instinct was to suggest sending someone to look for the captain, but he was even more certain that he did not want to do that. He was the neophyte here, the least senior member of the party. If he suggested it, he would be the one sent. Even if he didn't suggest it, he would probably be the one sent. He worried that if he was sent, and then the captain showed up, they would leave without him.

"How come you get to be in charge?" he challenged, still joking. "You just said you might not even be worth noticing."

Erykk
"Ah, yes, I suppose you will." He chuckled in return. It was hard to anger Erykk. He was a pretty laid back guy. Though there were topics that could send him over the edge in a moment. Nothing that the boy could bring up though, of that he was sure.
"If your flank is exposed, it would be because I have already fallen. So you'd get running." He mused, another chuckle in his chest. Deep and rumbling like thunder.

"A captain who keeps his reavers waiting is not a very true captain. It shows a window of character, and do you want your life depending on someone who can not be on time's command?" He asked, his eyes looking down into Kale's. He was curious as to his answer, seeing that he was a bit conflicted at the idea of the group leaving without it's true leader.

"Would anyone want to challenge me for the right?" He asked, voice loud enough for them all to hear. He circled, seeing no shaking of the heads. It wasn't a vote really, but he knew that should a vote happen, he would have that too. He was a good Reaver, a strong one. He cared about his band, and his brothers, and it was unlikely he would allow anything to happen to them in the field.

"What about you, Kale? Would you challenge me for the role?" He arched an eyebrow.

Princess_Feylin

Lonely Bookworm

Princess_Feylin

Lonely Bookworm

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2015 12:21 pm
Kekäle
"I don't run," Käle shot back. He reconsidered and added, "Unless I'm chasing someone. Then I can run very fast."

He resisted the urge to look around and see if his remarks had earned him any approval. The fact that Erykk was chuckling was a good thing, but maybe Käle should cut back on the humor. He didn't want to be seen as a clown. From what Svana had told him about her first viking, she had been taken pretty seriously.

As for taking over for the captain, it wasn't the first time Käle had heard things like that. Both his father and mother had very definite ideas about what was required of reavers and captains, and Stormborn in general, and Käle himself had possessed similarly high standards for his entire life. He wasn't sure he approved of a lion just appointing himself the leader though. There ought to be a proper challenge or a vote or something. Some way of determining that the leader who led them would be the most fit to lead.

"It would depend on what other skills and virtues he possessed," Käle mused aloud. "Experience, the ability to plan and utilize his reavers' skills effectively, practicality. It isn't as if anyone can simply declare himself a captain. He must have acquired the rank through his own merits. I lack the experience to lead, for the time being."

Erykk
"Good." Came the firm response. A Stormborn should never run, he knew. But if he had fallen, the likelihood of Kale taking over would be slim. But one died honorably, before running to save their hide. It was a weird system, but one they all followed anyway.

"His skills and virtues would be useless, if he woke too late one morning and a fight was already taking place, wouldn't you think?" He asked. He;d seen it once. A Captain who had taken too long rousing from the night before, and it had cost him a reaver or two.. He'd been too slow to assumble and bark the orders the others had needed to fight a true united attack.

"Be my guest, Kale." He motioned. "Hold a vote. Let us see who shall lead. Who knows. Maybe dear old Captain had too many thralls last night. We might not see him until this evening if that's the case." He teased.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2015 12:35 pm
Kekäle
"It's not like viking parties are often attacked," Käle pointed out, but it was a weak argument at best.

Käle had apparently talked himself into a corner, because he could not immediately come up with a good response to Erykk's counter-argument. He had a sinking feeling that his sister Asoiaf would have had an excellent counter. Behind all her sullenness and smirking, she was stupidly smart. But she wasn't here, so he would have to rely on his own intellect. He rarely felt that his own intellect was insufficient, but right now was one of them.

"I didn't say I wanted to lead. Yet," Käle said, wondering if he had over-stepped himself and if he had now lost any chance of having Erykk as a friend and ally. Well, at least as an ally. Probably Erykk wasn't on the lookout for friends Käle's age, but he could've been a friendly acquaintance, maybe.

"Besides, I think that's him coming now," he added, nodding in the direction of a solitary lion approaching from the stronghold.

Erykk
"It wasn't you I meant, Kale." He chuckled. There had been a whole group of lions around them that could throw their paw in should they choose. But the point was moot when a male began walking towards them. He rolled his eyes at the arrival, not because he couldn't lead.. No that would come eventually.. But he sure hoped the captain was better than he was proving himself to be. But perhaps it was Erykk's own ideals that were a bit too strong. Not that he'd ever realize that.

"Ah so it is. Good. I'd have hated to have branded him a terrible Captain." He snorted. Though.. He wasn't so sure that he hadn't already. At least in his own mind, and perhaps the doubt in someone elses. But now that he was showing himself, Erykk wouldn't be able to doubt him. At this point they were a team, and he was no nonsense enough to know that he was loyal to whoever was in charge.

Princess_Feylin

Lonely Bookworm

[IC] Rogue Lands [IC]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces