Night Circus

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Evelyn Dwyer

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2015 6:58 am
So hi... I'm a new member...

I don't know if there is another thread for this particular book, so I was just wondering, is anybody in this guild a fan of The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern?

Please reply?

XD  
PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2015 6:50 pm
Never heard of it. What's the plot?  

Maze353

Questionable Tactician

Evelyn Dwyer

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2015 12:33 am
It's set in this circus (and the time period is slightly Victorian, but it continues into modern day), which also doubles as the setting for a "Battle of Apprentices" kind of thing that these two magicians have set up. The two titular characters are Celia Bowen, the daughter and apprentice of one of the magicians, and Marco Alisdair, who is the apprentice of the other magician.

They both have magic (clearly), and so they use their magic to create new magical attraction tents within the circus. They keep trying to one-up each other by making each new tent grander and grander. Their magic becomes so incredibly intertwined with the circus, which explains the reason why none of them age, and why they can transport their circus across the country and the globe.

The two ultimately fall in love. I'm going to leave the romance explanation at that because, if I explain the romance anymore I sort of give away how the story ends... XD

There are also other characters, like Poppet and Widget Murray (those are nicknames), and Bailey Clarke. Those three sort of have their own subplot that appears like 3/4 through the book and they end up being very important characters!
Their subplot seems like something completely boring and random, but it soon becomes obvious that their subplot is intertwined with the circus and Celia and Marco.

The set up of the book is kind of weird. In the hardcover copy, at the beginning of each chapter, there is a page containing a few paragraphs that sort of describes the circus as if you are walking through it yourself in modern day. As you go through the chapters, and you get past certain events, you begin to connect the dots, and you start to match certain events to the "current" attractions at the circus.

What I mean is, by the end of the book, the circus is different from what it was like at the beginning of the book. Those small sections at the beginning of each chapter is you walking through the circus as it is at the end of the book. (But you don't realise that when you are reading the book for the first time, yada yada yada.) So, as you finish each chapter, you get a sense of how those events affected the way the circus runs and looks in "modern day"

Also, all the supporting characters are so interesting, and you get the sense that they all have their own stories and you want to know more.

It is a little slow at places, but I felt as if it added to the feel of the book, but its your opinion...

I am crap at explaining things. I am so sorry if this made no sense!  
PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2015 6:00 pm
Sounds interesting. I'll have to see if the library has it.  

Maze353

Questionable Tactician

Fantasy Books Guild

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces