Welcome to Gaia! ::

~ Midnight Moon ~

Back to Guilds

~ for pagans, wiccans and witches ~ 

Tags: wiccan, witchcraft, paganism, wicca, heathenry 

Reply *~Sanctuary~* (answers and advice)
Familiar help?

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Nerdy Oatmeal

Super Noob

12,790 Points
  • Happy 13th, Gaia Online! 50
  • Unfortunate Abductee 175
  • Timid 100
PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2015 7:27 pm
So, I don't know much about familiars. It's never been something I've really looked into, plus I would be considered rather new to the art of witchcraft in comparison to some. Hence, I figured it was best that I save something like familiars for a little later when I explore more.

But I think my familiar found me before I even knew it could've?? (or, I should say she because that's how I refer to my dog.) I have this dog. She's a sweetie and she's very loving and cuddly and I feel like there's this extra connection I have with her whenever I lay down and pet her and even when I'm doing something related to my path.

Now, I'm just generally an animal lover so I always feel a connection with animals but the one I have with Ruby (my dog) is very different. She's been known to come into my room from time to time, as she usually sits by my mother's feet at her desk but she will come in and visit me in my bedroom when I'm home. Not only that, but apparently my bed has become her sleeping place of choice during the day when I'm at school, according to my mother. I've also noticed that when I'm doing a spell, making a charm, or writing a sigil, she will pop in and sit for a while until I finish. It's typically when I'm doing a spell, however. My altar, where I do a vast majority of my spells, is ALSO located in my room and is rather close to my bed. I also do 80% of my energy work on my bed, since it's the place I find easiest to practice on and meditate on. She's been known to come in while I'm meditating occasionally too.

I could very well be fluffy-bunnying here, I am known to do that sometimes with aspects of witchcraft I'm new too and it's something I'm trying to correct. But, anyway, does anyone know if this could be a potential familiar-connection or is it all just coincidence that she happens to show up during those times? I know next to nothing on familiars and most research I do doesn't seem to make much sense. (it is the internet, after all...) So I was hoping for an outsider's opinion on this. Thanks in advance!  
PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2015 6:45 am
From my perspective I think your dog would classify as a familiar. Animals have a knack for sensing the unseen and if she likes to hang around with you when you're doing energy work, or in the same room even when you're not in there (regardless of it being your bedroom) then to me that just seems like something a familiar would do.

I only ever had one pet during the course of my path so far, my little frog Bill. Given the fact that he was kinda stuck in his tank, he couldn't exactly join me when I did spell work in my room because it's at the other end of the house. He passed away a few years back at the ripe old age of 8 (but he may have been 9 at the time as I'm not sure how old he was when I got him). I have a little frog carved from bloodstone that resides on my altar when appropriate and I use it to symbolise him. I don't think he was a familiar in life, but he may be in death.  

iKillCaustic

Ruthless Hunter

18,040 Points
  • Novice Mage 100
  • Nostalgic Scrapbooker 50
  • Friend of the Goat 100

Anya in Furs

Desirable Sex Symbol

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2015 6:32 am
Nerdy Oatmeal
So, I don't know much about familiars. It's never been something I've really looked into, plus I would be considered rather new to the art of witchcraft in comparison to some. Hence, I figured it was best that I save something like familiars for a little later when I explore more.

But I think my familiar found me before I even knew it could've?? (or, I should say she because that's how I refer to my dog.) I have this dog. She's a sweetie and she's very loving and cuddly and I feel like there's this extra connection I have with her whenever I lay down and pet her and even when I'm doing something related to my path.

Now, I'm just generally an animal lover so I always feel a connection with animals but the one I have with Ruby (my dog) is very different. She's been known to come into my room from time to time, as she usually sits by my mother's feet at her desk but she will come in and visit me in my bedroom when I'm home. Not only that, but apparently my bed has become her sleeping place of choice during the day when I'm at school, according to my mother. I've also noticed that when I'm doing a spell, making a charm, or writing a sigil, she will pop in and sit for a while until I finish. It's typically when I'm doing a spell, however. My altar, where I do a vast majority of my spells, is ALSO located in my room and is rather close to my bed. I also do 80% of my energy work on my bed, since it's the place I find easiest to practice on and meditate on. She's been known to come in while I'm meditating occasionally too.

I could very well be fluffy-bunnying here, I am known to do that sometimes with aspects of witchcraft I'm new too and it's something I'm trying to correct. But, anyway, does anyone know if this could be a potential familiar-connection or is it all just coincidence that she happens to show up during those times? I know next to nothing on familiars and most research I do doesn't seem to make much sense. (it is the internet, after all...) So I was hoping for an outsider's opinion on this. Thanks in advance!

My familiars are very attracted to my energy and their pretty much in tune with whatever I'm feeling. My cat Salem is very attached to my crystals that I keep around the house. I have a small chest full of crystals sitting on my desk and he seems very interested in them and even lays on of them when I'm charging them.  
PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 11:49 pm
Nerdy Oatmeal

I have heard many sources state familiars choose you not the other way around. Rubys actions seam very familiar like to me but as far as i am aware i don't have one so i may not be giving good advise.  

Wolfsblood90

Anxious Warrior

12,200 Points
  • Battery 500
  • Rat Conqueror 500
*~Sanctuary~* (answers and advice)

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items