Welcome to Gaia! ::

Anime Conventions: The Global Connection

Back to Guilds

A guild dedicated to sharing/discussing conventions, cosplay, anime, and manga from across the world 

Tags: Convention, Cosplay, Anime, Crossplay, Manga 

Reply Cosplay Help
Vest Help?

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

JayGee-TenThirty

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2015 3:15 pm
This September I'm cosplaying Nice from Hamatora. I wanted to make the vest instead of buy it, but I'm unsure which fabric to use. I was thinking canvas fabric for the outside, and simple cotton for the inner lining?

Pic of character: User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

Canvas fabric I was thinking of using: x  
PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2015 8:06 pm
I have never made a vest before, so I wouldn't really be much help, but that material looks nice!

I hope someone on here can help you out more.

Starz-N-Madness
Crew

Beloved Star

7,500 Points
  • First step to fame 200
  • The Perfect Setup 150
  • Tipsy 100

JayGee-TenThirty

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2015 10:42 pm
Starz-N-Madness
I have never made a vest before, so I wouldn't really be much help, but that material looks nice!

Thanks anyway, I'm glad the fabric doesn't look bad lol  
PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2015 12:15 am
Hi JayGee-TenThirty,

I just sent a message to all of our Crew Members to see if they can help you out with your vest. Good luck on making your entire Cosplay Outfit.  

smithers456

Captain

Friendly Explorer

9,050 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Guildmember 100
  • Citizen 200

Starz-N-Madness
Crew

Beloved Star

7,500 Points
  • First step to fame 200
  • The Perfect Setup 150
  • Tipsy 100
PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2015 11:42 am
JayGee-TenThirty
Starz-N-Madness

I found this YouTube video:
Simple Vest

Oh and maybe like vinyl, you could use then line the inside like how you said?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2015 5:32 pm
I think the canvas will be a good material to work with. Correct me if I'm wrong but, it looks like his vest has a little bit of bulk to it so it might be a good idea to have a little bit of stuffing in it. If it doesn't actually have some bulk to it then ignore that xd Also, finding a cheap vest similar to what you need and deconstructing it is a great way to get a pattern for it.  

Blood_Red_Moon_Wolf

JayGee-TenThirty

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2015 11:21 pm
Starz-N-Madness
JayGee-TenThirty
Starz-N-Madness

I found this YouTube video:
Simple Vest

Oh and maybe like vinyl, you could use then line the inside like how you said?

That's funny that's the exact same video I was planning on following XD  
PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2015 11:25 pm
Blood_Red_Moon_Wolf
I think the canvas will be a good material to work with. Correct me if I'm wrong but, it looks like his vest has a little bit of bulk to it so it might be a good idea to have a little bit of stuffing in it. If it doesn't actually have some bulk to it then ignore that xd Also, finding a cheap vest similar to what you need and deconstructing it is a great way to get a pattern for it.

It does seem like it has a bit of bulk, but I'm worried that if I stuff it the stuffing will shift in the vest and make it look lumpy, that's what happened last time I tried to stuff something sweatdrop Also I can't really find a vest with the same neckline as his, so I was just gonna just draw my own pattern.  

JayGee-TenThirty

Blood_Red_Moon_Wolf

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2015 5:00 pm
JayGee-TenThirty
Blood_Red_Moon_Wolf

It does seem like it has a bit of bulk, but I'm worried that if I stuff it the stuffing will shift in the vest and make it look lumpy, that's what happened last time I tried to stuff something sweatdrop Also I can't really find a vest with the same neckline as his, so I was just gonna just draw my own pattern.

Try cotton batting. You can cut it to shape and size and it should stay in place better thank normal stuffing. Ah yeah, I could see how finding that neckline would be hard.  
PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2015 10:02 pm
Blood_Red_Moon_Wolf
JayGee-TenThirty
Blood_Red_Moon_Wolf

Try cotton batting. You can cut it to shape and size and it should stay in place better thank normal stuffing. Ah yeah, I could see how finding that neckline would be hard.

Thank you, batting is a great idea, since it comes in sheets instead of clumps. I think I'll put that in between the lining and outer layer.  

JayGee-TenThirty

Cosplay Help

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff