Welcome to Gaia! ::

Soquili Era

Back to Guilds

Tags: soquili, horses, breedable pets, pet horses, familiars 

Reply Open/Private Canon IC RP
[Backstory] Pay Tribute For She Walks In Fire (Kawah Ijen)

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

~Latonia de la Courtel~

Eloquent Witch

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2015 12:02 pm
((A private Backstory RP for my (~Latonia de la Courtel~) Kawah Ijen. Largely detailing her backstory before she comes to this land. Please no posting.))

User Image

Latonia Teepee

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2015 1:12 pm
The mare known as Kawah Ijen arrived on the beaches of the Kawani lands with her mind still focused on the family she left behind days ago. She was sure they had realized she was gone, and no doubt they had begun to search for her by now. They wouldn't find her, but by the time they expanded their search beyond the island chain she hoped to be well away... Further even than this white beach with its sighing waves, too similar still to the homeland she left behind. Thinking of her homeland made her think of her herd. And the fact that she had left them behind.

Scattered over the various-sized islands that made up the chain they called home, the Ahiri Island herd was a largely peaceful band. It was made of Soquili with strong wings and flowing manes, adorned with crests and brightly colored feathers. They were friends of the birds, fleet-winged and sweet-voiced, at home among the bright flowers and sweet fruits of the lush island jungle. Ranging from the smallest outer islands that were little more than sand, rock and the beginnings of greenery to the inner islands that grew more lush and large due to their proximity to the volcanoes, the herd took great care to ensure they did not outstrip their home of the resources. The mountains of fire beneath the ocean would eventually provide them with more territory, but until then they carefully managed their population and did what they could to ensure food was plentiful.

Far from any great land mass, the herd paid homage to the ocean, for she sprawled as far as they could see in all directions. They hailed the sun for it allowed the greenery that gave them life to grow. And they worshiped and feared the Volcanoes that dotted the island chain, particularly the largest that stood tall and proud at the North corner of their main island. The Volcano they usually called 'The Lady', where those of the herd thought to be worthy were sacrificed to appease her wrath and protect the herd.

The volcano they believed Kawah to be a physical manifestation of. The reason she had left.

True enough the ocean spread in all directions, as far as the herd could see from their home. Still, there were other island chains within a hard day's flight, if one was ambitious or desperate enough to reach them. Kawah had been, eager to escape the gilded cage that had become her life. And through a weaving pattern of flights and landings from one island chain to another, she had made her way here. Though she did not yet know where "here" was, she hoped it would be better than where she had been. At least here she could be free.

~Latonia de la Courtel~

Eloquent Witch

~Latonia de la Courtel~

Eloquent Witch

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2015 2:35 pm
((Foalhood- Flashback))
She woke with the sun, as she usually did, and raced down to the beach to play in the surf as she waited for the Sisters or the Midwives to find her. Sooner or later they'd be down here anyway, trading fruit for seaweed from the Mer Clan that inhabited the waters. The trade benefited both sides, supplementing their diets and allowing them to swap medicine and stories as well. The filly liked to watch because the Mers were interesting, so unlike everything else she knew.

By the time the Sisters had collected her and taken her back home, the sun was high and bright over their home island, golden light streaming down on the high black peak of the volcano and the rich green of the jungle. Properly lectured, the black filly admired it all, chewing her breakfast as she observed a pair of adults watching carefully over their frisking foals. The family was not hers, of course, but it was nice to watch.. To pretend for a little while.

'I would like a family...'

Kawah recognized she was different from others, even as a filly. They had recognized parents, had a dam and sire that would protect and love and teach them... Often they had siblings, had someone else their age, of their blood, family to keep them company. They were told stories and sung to sleep at night. And she wanted that, probably more than she wanted anything, but there was no wishing for something like that. Not for someone like her.

She was one of the nameless ones, a basket left to the care of the midwives, they had explained to her when she was old enough to understand. A filly with no past and no family... just the strange hint of fire in her mane and tail which set her apart from her fellows. They midwives had cared for her basket until she had emerged, and then upon seeing her, had commended her into the care of the sisters at the Temple of Fire. There would she be raised, and as an adult she would be ensconced in the higher pantheon, a dwelling closer to the mountain than any others dared to go. It was a fine meadow draped in flowers, and would be filled with food and tribute.

She was the will of the volcano, and it was to that sacred duty she would be trained... And as they paid tribute to her it was like worshiping their own Goddess of Fire, and she would ensure the volcano did not rain death upon them. 'But what about what I want?'

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2015 9:47 pm
The sun was high and bright, the sky a soft, clear blue. What clouds were about where soft and white, fluffier than the foam cresting each wave washing up on golden sand. The ocean was deep and dark and endlessly blue, turning teal and then a clear aqua shade of sea as one drew closer to the islands. The waters nearby were pleasing to wade in, but deepened quickly as one headed out to sea. Home of the Mer tribe that traded with the Island Herd, there were also schools of fish and sharp-clawed crabs darting here and there.

Left alone to her own devices, the black filly wandered along the beach, lost in her whirling thoughts. It was hard to even admire the beauty of the day spread around her, her mind so caught up in the circles it was spinning. The sisters had explained much to her, after these few days, and in a way things were suddenly clear to her. Fractured and tilted sideways and cast into a kaleidoscope she could not yet fully comprehend... But, understandable, now that they had told her. You are the fire. Because of you there will be no more death, so long as we continue to please the spirits... You are a symbol, a Child of the Volcano, a messenger of Fate.

It was a strange thing for a foal, to be told one's purpose in life... Stranger still to be hailed as a symbol, a living tool of fate. Destiny. The herd told her she was the volcano, a Child of Fire. She was evidence that they had finally managed to please the spirits they had so carefully courted. Their islands would be safe, if the herd was careful, the volcano would be gentle and the herd would grow and all would be well.

She was their chance to continue pleasing the spirits, and in a way that the herd themselves would not need to mourn. After so many were commended to the flames, wreathed in flowers and sent to their death, it was refreshing to have a living symbol of the fire. It was a blessing. No longer would they need to send their finest sons and daughters to their deaths. Instead they could raise her with love, and settle her into a temple. They could present her with flowers and jewels and fruit and companionship, with shells and trinkets of the deep that the Mer Tribe would bring to honor the new spirit.

Both the Herd and the Tribe would give honor to her, and she would keep them safe.

"But how?" Kawah demanded as she stopped hock-deep in the ocean, frowning down at the surf. No Mer appeared to play with her, though she could see the flash of fins in the distance. Were they watching her, now that they knew she existed?

"How? I'm just, me... How am I supposed to do all of these things? Any of these things?"

~Latonia de la Courtel~

Eloquent Witch

~Latonia de la Courtel~

Eloquent Witch

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2015 3:35 pm
"I wonder who told them about me, exactly... And what did they say? Did they speak to the Mer King?" Kawah Ijen shuffled idly in the shallows as she pondered, watching the flail of distant fins and wondering about their owners. She had yet to be formally presented to any of the Mer Tribe, or even to meet them informally. Still, she knew they knew she existed, for one of the Sisters told her they had informed the Tribe of her arrival. It made a certain kind of sense then, to see them splashing amongst the waves while she walked along the shoreline. Surely they were curious about her, and glad to hear that they no longer needed to make sacrifices to the volcanos...

'Why won't they come meet me?' She had asked one of the Sisters who had come to fetch her previously. 'Don't they want to be my friends?'

'In time, perhaps.' Sister Serra had smiled at her. 'But one is not a friend of the flames, one merely recognizes their power.'

Which only made Kawah worry that she'd never have any friends, forever thought of as the fire instead of herself. Instead of being Kawah. 'What if I never have friends? I don't want to be lonely forever.'

"No reason to be scared, you know... Murmured a soft voice over the whisper of waves. "You were born to do this, that would suggest you will find your feet with time."

Kawah spun in the direction of the voice, ears flipping forward in alarm as she noticed the flash of fins among the waves. A Mer considered her from not far off, a grown mare with peculiar sea-blue eyes and scales of rich green. There were shells and strands of seaweed braided into her mane, giving her a wild look at odds with her kind gaze.

"Sorry... Excuse me? Do I... Should I know you? Do you know me?"

"I know of you, Child of the Fyre.. But no, we have not met, and I do not expect you to know me." The Mer replied, swimming closer with a curious look. "Your Sisters told myself and my Kin were aware of you.. So we would send no more shells to the volcano beneath the waves. It was a relief to hear, and we are grateful they told us so swiftly."

Kawah jumped in surprise, trying to imagine a mountain of fire beneath the serene blue of the waves. She knew at times the ocean grew fierce and angry, scarier even than a raging storm cloud filled with lightning... But to hear this was new. "There is a volcano under the waves too? Where you pay tribute, like my herd?"

The strange mare laughed, tossing her head. "We are both your herds now, Child of Fyre. I will be your envoy from the sea, since you cannot join us. You may walk the beach to speak with me, I will find you."

"Any day? Every day?" Kawah demanded, taking a splashing stride forward. "Will you, tell me more?"

"Any day." The stranger agreed with a nod. "It will be a pleasure to meet with you, and speak with you, Little Fyre. But for now, one of your Sisters is coming... You had better go."

And she disappeared with a flick of her bright tail, leaving Kawah blinking away drops of salt water from her lashes. "Well... That was strange..."

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2015 3:54 pm
Kawah smiled faintly as one of the Sisters draped her with a blanket of sweet-smelling flowers, nuzzling the white-petal blossoms with their pale yellow throats. The flow of the blanket made her loosen her wings so they rode at her side rather than close to her back, allowing the blanket to rest on her back and drape over her wings. It was a little larger than expected, or perhaps she was smaller, because even with her wings it nearly reached her knees.

“Thank you.” She murmured sweetly, smiling at the gathered mares as they considered her with approval.

“You are welcome, Fyre Child.” One of them murmured, propping a hibiscus flower by one ear. “We present it to you with the regards of the Herd."

“Will…. Will I be presented to them soon?” She wondered softly. “The Herd, I mean?”

“A formality, but an important one.” One of the Sisters agreed. “You will be presented to the Herd, and the Tribe, soon enough. For now, we will discuss what lessons are necessary to prepare you for the ceremony.”

Kawah nodded her head, happy to absorb the teachings of the sisters… There would surely be time to visit the beach later, and maybe the stranger in the sea would be there to greet her again. For now, she would learn how to walk in her blanket, and the words to pledge her loyalty to the Herd and the Tribe… She would lead them also in a blessing, to instill peace in the last few doubting minds.

She would do what was best for her Herd, the only family she had ever known.

‘Maybe one day I’ll have my own family... But until then, I’ll do what is best for the Herd and the Tribe… Because it is good to belong somewhere.’

~Latonia de la Courtel~

Eloquent Witch

~Latonia de la Courtel~

Eloquent Witch

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2015 6:58 pm
'It would be so good to belong somewhere...'

Kawah woke suddenly, head flying up as her ears swiveled for any hint of sound. There were no strangers in her immediate eye line, tucked as she was among the larger rocks that scattered the coast. She could neither smell nor hear anyone approaching, either, just the clean scent of salt and sand glittering a soft gold in the morning sun. With a sigh she stood and shook herself from nose to tail, sending the pale golden grains tumbling from her coat in all direction. She blinked her eyes rapidly, attempting to clear the sleep from them as she tried to determine the reason for her sudden dread.

Still half-caught in her dreams as she was, her mind filled with the soft scent of hibiscus and gardenia that had always lingered on the island wind. This beach was far from the island chain she had called home, far away from the herd… From the Sisters that had raised her and the Mers that were her teachers about all things beneath the waves. Further still from the acolytes that served, from her handmaidens, from her tribute.

She didn't want to think of any of them, not the mares who served her or resented her... Not the stallions that were sent to court and amuse her. She didn't care to think of all the trinkets she left behind, the decorations and artworks and other finely-wrought things they brought to dress up the place they viewed as her temple and she viewed as her prison. And though she missed the sweet fruits and cool water, she would not return home now for a hundred of their number. Not when she was finally free.

“You left it all behind for a reason.” She murmured, stretching her wings and flapping them a few times to ensure they were free of sand. The muscles were tight and tired and painful, but the stretching soothed it back to a more manageable ache. “Don’t carry it with you in your thoughts, either.”

Turning her back on the sun as it painted the ocean waters gold, her bright eyes caught sight of a seabird floating high overhead. It barely had to move its wings, spiraling lazily on the wind currents as it hunted for breakfast. So far above, she was hard-pressed to guess if it was a gull or a sea-going bird of prey like an osprey. Still, it did not seem inclined to notice her so perhaps it was not spirit-touched at all… Just looking for a meal.

“Well, I am certainly too big for you to consider.” She murmured softly as though talking to the bird, then gave a faint shake of her head as she began pacing inland. Hopefully she’d find something to eat and then be ready to take wing again. “Talking to the air now… That’s not a very good sign.”

The black mare gave a soft sigh and paced along, hardly wobbling in the soft sand that her hooves sunk into. Then again, she had quite a lot of practice with such things. "You'll feel better after some food..."

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2016 8:30 pm
Hesitant to stay in one place too long -partially because the beaches felt open and undefendable and partially out of fear that the herd would follow her- Kawah was quick to find something to slake her hunger before taking to the air again. For the moment the extent of her plans were to follow a simple pattern: fly as long as she could, find a good plan to land and rest, then resume flight again for as long as she could. She had repeated the pattern for days and days now, pushing herself to the limits of her strength as she strove to go somewhere beyond the herd's reach.

Now and again she'd foray further inland, seeking a wooded area with a lake or near a river. The whisper of freshwater was soothing like the ocean, but had the added benefit of allowing to drink her fill after she had eaten. Upon finding such hiding places she'd allow herself to rest for a day or maybe two, before the urge to travel again overwhelmed her and sent her winging away into the sky. The last long break had been some days ago, and though she had slept during the night and was only a little ways into her current flight, her strength was ebbing away.

After another dangerous wobble threatened to send her spilling out of the sky when the tumultuous sea breezes became too much for her, Kawah decided to take another break. Locking her wings and gliding downward and once again inland, she smiled at the sight of a decent meadow and fresh water. It was nestled in a pocket within the mountains, far enough off her usual coastal course that she rather doubted the herd would find her. As she circled overhead she was pleased to note there were no large predators to be seen from the air, and the tree-lined meadows looked inviting enough.

"There, that will be perfect." She decided softly to herself, pleased with the presence of cliffs that would shield the lower valleys from the harsh weather that could roll in from the sea. "No sign of a herd, I can rest up for a day or two and then makeup time later."

Landing with a shadow of her normal grace and staggering to a halt, the black coated mare felt exhaustion sweep over her.

"Maybe... Maybe I'll just... sleep for a little bit... instead of eating." She murmured, wings going lax as she began to fold her legs under her and collapsed the rest of the way. "Yes.. yes, sleep sounds... sleep sounds, good. And then... and then..."

Soft blue eyes drifted shut as the last of the mare's strength fled, leaving her splayed out on the bright emerald grass with no awareness of her surroundings. It was a good thing to, for unknowingly she had arrived at Padmapani.

~Latonia de la Courtel~

Eloquent Witch

~Latonia de la Courtel~

Eloquent Witch

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2016 1:44 pm
~:Optional Time Insert for RP within Padmapani:~

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2019 12:00 pm
User Image

Quote:
There is something to be said for having famous parents, the black phoenix colt supposed to himself as he strolled around the arrival field. Being born of the royal family was one thing, a certain number of expectations and privileges are associated. But the child of an outsider, a story, perhaps something like a legend, well, that is very different.

Even as a child Khajrayna is well aware of the stories surrounding his mother's arrival to his father's herd, his home herd, that which they call Padmapani. Very evidently not a born member of the herd, Kawah Ijen had come to be adopted by Padmapani after the strange circumstances that brought her to their lands. The black and blue Suti-Gryph mare was said to come from the sky, landing on the outskirts of the herd lands in utter exhaustion. Her collapsed form was found shortly thereafter, discovered by his father by chance on a scouting mission along the borders. Upon finding the mare utterly unaware of her surroundings and the world, and being a gallant young gentleman, Vajrayana had obtained assistance and brought the unconscious mare back to the heart of his herd, to his family and the healers that lived among them.

After her recovery, it is said that Kawah won over the Padmapani, with her good nature and her beauty, with her fearlessness and her bold heart. The fact that she and the Prince had a dalliance was a later occurrence, after the herd had adopted her as one of their own. The three colts arrived soon after, further extending the line of royals, and the ranks of Padmapani. They are living proof, evidence that she is real, but in some strange way adding to her legendary status. Possibly due to the way she appeared like an unexpected storm, how she drifted in and out again like mist in the morning.

She was a traveler, a wandering spirit, leaving for months at a time and then returning to Padmapani to rest from her travels. Most often she would bring the herd trade objects or gifts, always she would bring them stories. Khaj was just happy for her return, though the tales were an added benefit.

Each time he asked her why she chose to leave, she said that it was important for her to see as much as she could of her new homeland, to acquaint herself with all the wonders and dangers that the land had in store.

Khaj Wordcount: 411

Quote:
Kawah Ijen soars down through the clouds above Padmapani, smiling at the sight of a sprawling emerald field edged in trees bearing golden leaves. This is her first home in this land, this place that saved her from near-certain death. This was the place that she came to by sheer good fortune, blind luck, as she fled from the homeland that held her captive for so many years. Having barely made it to this new place, she had collapsed without any knowledge of local herdlands, territories or borders. Had basically set hooves down on the grass and crumpled where she stood, wings splaying in exhaustion after her seemingly endless flight.

But such a place to fall asleep, to be found by a young stallion, to awaken in the heart of a herd overseen by many kind healers. Soft-spoken unicorns with gentle smiles, compassionate strangers, strong magic and good food. She had recovered quickly, and had thrived in this new land, this new herd. They had adopted her, even though she likely would not stay. She was family, of a kind. And then she and Vajrayana... And, well, she truly was family now. Mother to three princes, her three sons whom she was fiercely proud of.

She had not expected to be so fiercely pride of her family, to be so fiercely possessive of the time she has with her boys. Her fierce love for them is part of the reason why she continued her travels, resolving to leave her sons now and again so their father and family could bestow upon them various lessons and anecdotes, traditions and wisdom. If it meant that she could bring them gifts and stories on her return, well, so much the better.

It was therefore little surprise to see Khajrayna, the boy she felt was the finest mix of her and his father, awaiting her in the field where she often chose to land after her traveling flights. No sign of any other guardians, which likely meant Khaj had abandoned a lesson or function and snuck out.

"How like you, my troublesome one..."

Quote:
In his idle time awaiting his mother's arrival, Khaj has run through his knowledge of greeting and farewell ceremonies, verbally identified the plant and animal life around him, listed their function in healing where applicable, and practiced some dance and sparring moves. He's perilously close to boredom when the sound of wings overhead has him spinning around, eyes fixed on the dark shape cutting down through the cloud-scattered sky.

"Mother!"

Khaj Total Wordcount: 481

Quote:

~Latonia de la Courtel~

Eloquent Witch

Open/Private Canon IC RP

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items