Welcome to Gaia! ::

The School of Dedicated Roleplayers [closed]

Back to Guilds

A general roleplay guild with emphasis on improving RPers. 

Tags: Roleplaying, Tutoring, School, School of Dedicated Role Players, RPing 

Reply The School of Dedicated Role Players
Interest check: Roll to Dodge Goto Page: 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Would you try to play this game?
  Yes
  No
  Maybe
View Results

QueenArasene

Polar Bear

37,775 Points
  • Romantic Fortune Seeker 100
  • Alchemy Level 10 100
  • Lovingly Advice 25
PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2015 10:02 am
Hello everyone!

As we all know, this is a guild for roleplaying and roleplaying is serious business, but for once I imagine that perhaps we could also look at a slightly lighter side of things. Following this comes a suggestion which I would like to hear your feedback about.

What I am proposing is that I- given enough starting members (say, five)- will start a game of Roll to Dodge, free for everyone to join whenever. There will not be a deadline to join, since it is a free-for-all. Since not many people are familiar with the idea, here's a short rundown:

Roll to Dodge is a turn-based, game-mastered dice game. The very basic idea of the game is that you, as the player, will decide the action you want to do- pretty much anything, because things like physics, logic or reason don't have that much of a say in this game. Then, once a number of posts have come in, the game master will roll a die for each player's action. From the roll, the success of the player's action is decided according to the following formula:

[1]: Epic Fail. You fail so hard that you end up doing something close to the opposite of what you wanted.
[2]: Fail. Nothing special happens. You just didn't make it. Try again.
[3]: Meager success. You did.... something. It happened, but it wasn't very good.
[4]: Success. Just that. Your goal is achieved.
[5]: Epic Success. Because not only did you do what you wanted to, you did it in a really awesome way!
[6]: Overshot. Too good! Actually, your action succeeded but the universe is taking affront to your epic skills and something crazy is now bound to happen.

Here is an example of how this might play out:
Quote:
I look up in the sky, hoping to see a giant potato:

1: You accidently stare at the ground and see a carrot going up your nose. (-1 to next roll)
2: You fail to look at the sky, and you certainly see no potato.
3: You see a potato! But it falls on your head. (-1 to next roll)
4: You do see a potato in the sky.
5: You see a golden fairy potato, that gives you powers! (+1 to next roll)
6: You not only see a giant potato... you see a thousand of them! You must ROLL to dodge them!

As a result of the more light-hearted tone of this game, there will be no particular requirement of skills or post length- if you want to write a paragraph describing what you do, awesome! If not, that's fine too: after all, the game is all about doing crazy stuff and probably ending up with some even crazier results. Just to give you all some idea of what kind of thing might be going on, here are some quotes from previous versions of this game.

Quote:
Quote:
> Summons apples. Crisp, baked, apples.

Your roll : 1

You summon unbaked, soaked lemons. You're sad.

Quote:
Quote:
> Challenges Death to a game of tic-tac-toe until he gets bored and quits, ensuring my immortality.
Your roll : 2

Death does not wish to play tic-tac-toe with you.

Quote:
Quote:
> I look for a town

Your roll : 4

You sucessfully see a town to your left.

Quote:
Quote:
> Try to find Bessy, my trusty cow, to ride on.

Your roll : 1

You fail to see Bessy, and instead you find her half-brother, Bull Mckillington. He's not happy to see you, he charges!

ROLL TO DODGE!
Your roll : 2
Bull Mckillington hits you squarely in the chest and you suffer immense pain! (wounded)

Quote:
Your roll : 6 (+3)(+1)(+2)

(This one actually broke the game)

Quote:
The morning sun was rising slowly as orangedragonfire woke up on a grassy plain. He blinked, unsure of where he was. There was a distinctive feeling of deja-vu... hadn't he woken up on a grassy plain before? But he couldn't remember. Oh well. Maybe he should find breakfast.

> Find breakfast.

The above are only some choice selections that I personally found funny- if someone wants to rummage in the archives, there's a lot to go through. Original threads, for inspiration and some light reading, can be found on the xkcd forums. I'll even provide a link or two.

So..... share your opinions! What do you like about it, what would you like to see (special events anyone?), are there improvements you'd like to be made and, most importantly of course, would you want to play?  
PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2015 1:10 pm
I would be up for this, I've been getting into adding dice rolling elements into a roleplay I run and I want more experience with it. :D

What would our starting setting be?

Also, apologies for the upcoming serious guild business coming up... Guild wise, it might break the level system. I don't really imagine the content in this sort of roleplay as even hitting level 1, because of the lack of requirements. If it reaches level 1, it would be just barely. Actually, we could probably just make it unranked and spare us that trouble.  

Watervoir
Vice Captain

Dangerous Glitch

QueenArasene

Polar Bear

37,775 Points
  • Alchemy Level 10 100
  • Lovingly Advice 25
PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2015 1:39 pm
Watervoir
I would be up for this, I've been getting into adding dice rolling elements into a roleplay I run and I want more experience with it. :D

What would our starting setting be?

Also, apologies for the upcoming serious guild business coming up... Guild wise, it might break the level system. I don't really imagine the content in this sort of roleplay as even hitting level 1, because of the lack of requirements. If it reaches level 1, it would be just barely. Actually, we could probably just make it unranked and spare us that trouble.

Certainly, I have no idea what this level system is all about- you'd have to explain that in a little more detail. However, if there will be some sort of ranking system I'm definitely ready to agree that this will most likely not hold up to any sort of literate standards whatsoever because of the format. But then, it's a game! It doesn't really need to.

The starting setting, in the very loose fashion of the game itself, will be aptly summarized thus:
You wake up in a grassy field. Go!

This, although I have received a request to make it slightly more elaborate (and very well might), is going to be the origin. Upon request, I will also add in a specific goal for players to work toward- after all, I'm not going to leave people hanging- but then again, this is a game where anything can and should happen. If people decide to ignore the "objective" completely and turn into a banana, I'm not going to complain (because honestly, that would be hilarious).  
PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2015 3:25 pm
3nodding This sounds like something I'd like to participate in.  

Thornwick

Crew

Fashionable Lunatic

21,050 Points
  • Angelic Alliance 100
  • Dragon Master 50
  • Dressed Up 200

QueenArasene

Polar Bear

37,775 Points
  • Alchemy Level 10 100
  • Lovingly Advice 25
PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2015 4:58 pm
Thornwick

Awesome! I look forward to having you ^.^  
PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2015 7:29 pm
QueenArasene
Thornwick

Awesome! I look forward to having you ^.^

^^ And I look forward to increasing my activity (besides the normal guild duties). I didn't get a chance to read over the old posts (in this thread), but I'll give it a thorough look over once things have calmed down in my neck of the woods.  

Thornwick

Crew

Fashionable Lunatic

21,050 Points
  • Angelic Alliance 100
  • Dragon Master 50
  • Dressed Up 200

QueenArasene

Polar Bear

37,775 Points
  • Alchemy Level 10 100
  • Lovingly Advice 25
PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2015 3:43 am
DraculasLittlePrincess

azora natashi

Redswordomega

Hallo
I figured I'd try to make you read this because you've been active in the guild recently and activity is good biggrin  
PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2015 12:38 pm
QueenArasene

This sounds like a fun idea 3nodding  

DraculasLittlePrincess IV

Angelic Vampire

23,975 Points
  • Attending the Ball 25
  • Waffles! 25
  • Vocalizing Hisser 25

QueenArasene

Polar Bear

37,775 Points
  • Alchemy Level 10 100
  • Lovingly Advice 25
PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2015 1:39 pm
DraculasLittlePrincess

^.^
Would tip but this is Guilds Forum so nope -.-  
PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2015 2:32 pm
QueenArasene
DraculasLittlePrincess

^.^
Would tip but this is Guilds Forum so nope -.-

lol  

DraculasLittlePrincess IV

Angelic Vampire

23,975 Points
  • Attending the Ball 25
  • Waffles! 25
  • Vocalizing Hisser 25

Watervoir
Vice Captain

Dangerous Glitch

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2015 9:51 pm
> Attempts to bake cookies to lure in comments.  
PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2015 7:21 pm
Well this sounds pretty fun! I'd like to play <3  

azora natashi

Greedy Dog

Fiore di Giglio

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2015 7:47 am
Sounds like a fun idea.  
PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2015 6:59 pm
QueenArasene

When would be able to play, or at least have a beta test?
I was also considering building up an rp using your Dice roll suggestion as it's core mechanic.

I believe this Dice Dodge would greatly work this RP since its fair to some degree.
After all it's all a matter of luck, as you previously stated, not skill. Which I love.
Since it instantly kills any symptoms of the "main character syndrome"
We are all equal. Anyone could get a good roll, or a bad roll.

However, I would not like to start the Rp without having your blessing.
Which is why I would love it if you could borrow me the Dice roll mechanic.
I would gladly give you credit about it. Since I've got to know about the Dice Dodge because of you.  

Fiore di Giglio

QueenArasene

Polar Bear

37,775 Points
  • Alchemy Level 10 100
  • Lovingly Advice 25
PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2015 8:13 am
Fiore di Giglio

A beta test? Well, now that I have gathered at least four people with interest, which hopefully means that the game will not die before the first die is cast (it's happened, believe me).... Now is actually the time when I would start the adventure! Sounds good, right? Yeah.

On to the subject of dice games in general.... I don't actually own any rights to that. It's a mechanic. You can't copyright it, and I have a feeling you can come up with your own tweaks and ideas that will make it all look hugely different from what this is- besides, if you base a real roleplay on dice, it gets a whole lot more serious than what this is supposed to be. So good luck with your RP, eh?  
The School of Dedicated Role Players

Goto Page: 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff