Welcome to Gaia! ::

Anime Conventions: The Global Connection

Back to Guilds

A guild dedicated to sharing/discussing conventions, cosplay, anime, and manga from across the world 

Tags: Convention, Cosplay, Anime, Crossplay, Manga 

Reply Anime Retro & Classic Series
Official Tsubasa Reservior Chronicles Thread

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

smithers456

Captain

Friendly Explorer

9,050 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Guildmember 100
  • Citizen 200
PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2015 4:50 am
User Image
Syaoran - Ron Cauvin (Smithers456), Mokona (Plushie), Princess Sakura - Tsubasa Reservoir Chronicles series
Jafax 16 - 6/26/2011, Allendale campus of Grand Valley State University - Allendale, Michigan (West of Grand Rapids, Michigan)

Greetings Everyone,

Besides the Sailor Moon series the "Tsubasa Reservoir Chronicles - Collected Memories" Anime series is one of my all time favorite series. As many of you know I Cosplay Syaoran one of the lead characters of this series. Most of the time my Gaia Avi is dressed up as him. I have met other Syaoran and Princess Sakura Cosplayers over the years and it's been a great joy to meet them and pose with them. Often I automatically fall into character if I'm Cosplaying Syaoran and come across a Princess Sakura Cosplayer. The first Sakura Cosplayer that I came across I bowed and shouted out, "Princess Sakura I finally found you!". I was so excited that I gave the Princess Sakura Cosplayer a big hug and had my friend take photos of us together. Then I took photos of the Princess Sakura Cosplayer by herself. I have Cosplayed Syaoran the most at the Jafax Conventions in Western Michigan at the beautiful Allendale Campus of the Grand Valley State College. The campus is West of Grand Rapids. Note: Next year Jafax 21 (2016) will be in Downtown Grand Rapids, Michigan.

Most notably and recently I Cosplayed Syaoran at Youmacon 2015. Our Guild member "Kyari cloudcakes" got to see my Syaoran Cosplay Outfit up close and when I start the Youmacon 2015 Photo shoot thread you will see both her and I posing together. Many people don't recognize my character unless I'm carrying my Life sized Mokona Plushie with me. At Youmacon I was carrying Luna instead which seemed strange for me but in character for Syaoran. Syaoran would go out of his way to reunite Luna with Usagi,

Below is an Introduction to the series and the basic plot. In the first reply post in this thread I will continue to give you my thoughts about this series that I Love so much.

Introduction

Tsubasa: Reservoir Chronicle (Tsubasa: Rezaboa Kuronikuru)is a shonen manga series written and illustrated by the manga artist group Clamp. It takes place in the same fictional universe as many of Clamp's other manga series, most notably xxxHolic. The plot follows how Sakura, the princess of the Kingdom of Clow, loses her soul and how Syaoran, a young archaeologist who is her childhood friend, goes on a quest to save her. Dimensional Witch Yuko Ichihara instructs him to go with two people, Kurogane and Fai D. Flowright. They search for Sakura's memories, which were scattered in various worlds in the form as feathers, as gathering them will help save her soul. Tsubasa was conceived when four Clamp artists wanted to create a manga series that connected all their previous works. They took the designs for the main protagonists from their earlier manga called Cardcaptor Sakura. It was serialized in the Kodansha publication Weekly Shonen Magazine from May 2003 until October 2009, and was collected in twenty-eight tankobon volumes. The manga was adapted into an anime series, Tsubasa Chronicle (Tsubasa Kuronikuru), animated by Bee Train, which aired 52 episodes over two seasons during 2005 and 2006. Production I.G released an interlude film between the first two seasons titled The Princess in the Birdcage Kingdom, as well as five original video animations (OVAs) between November 2007 and May 2009, which acted as a sequel to the second season. Various video games and drama CDs based on the series have been released. The manga was licensed for English language release by Del Rey Manga, who has released all of its volumes since April 27, 2004. Funimation Entertainment licensed the anime for English release. They published all the TV episodes in DVD volumes as well as the film. The OVAs of Tsubasa were released in North America in January 2011. The series has been well-received by Japanese and English readers, and it reached high positions on various best-seller lists; the series has sold over twenty million manga volumes in Japan as of September 2009. Both the manga and anime have had positive response from critics, who praised its connections to previous works and its artwork. The plot twists in later parts of the story have been generally praised for how they affect the overall plot as well as for being surprising. However, they have been criticized for being confusing.

Plot

The series begins by introducing childhood friends Syaoran, a young archaeologist who is investigating a ruin within the Kingdom of Clow, and Sakura, princess of the Kingdom of Clow and daughter of the late king Clow Reed. When Sakura visits Syaoran in the ruins, her soul takes the form of a pair of ghostly wings that disintegrate to other dimensions. As she descends into a catatonic near death state, Syaoran meets the Dimensional Witch, Yuko Ichihara, to whom he begs for help to save Sakura. Yuko is also visited by two others who each have their own wish: Kurogane, a ninja who wishes to return to his home world after being banished from his world by Princess Tomoyo to allow him to learn what true strength is; and Fai D. Flowright, a magician who wishes to never return to his home world to avoid his king, Ashura-o. In exchange for the power to travel across dimensions, Yuko demands that each pay with that they value most: Kurogane offers his sword Ginryu; Fai offers the tattoo that suppresses his magical power; and Syaoran offers all of Sakura's memories that involve him. Yuko then presents them with a creature named Mokona Modoki that sends the group on a journey across dimensions in search of Sakura's feathers. After obtaining the first feathers, Sakura awakens from her catatonic state and starts recovering her memories. During their adventures, the group gradually grows closer to the point that Fai jokingly labels them as relatives. As they travel, they learn that the feathers have their own unique, special powers and can bestow several supernatural abilities to those who possess them.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2015 6:20 am
User Image
Princess Sakura, Syaoran - Ron Cauvin (Smithers456), Mokona (Plushie) - Tsubasa Reservoir Chronicles series
Shutocon 2014 - 4/5/2014, Lansing Convention Center - Downtown Lansing, Michigan

General Thoughts

I hope that by now that anyone who has read both the intro and the plot of the Tsubasa series will have an interest in watching it. I own the Blu Ray set of the series. I imagine that doing a thorough search of the internet that you should be able to find episodes to watch and or buy. I highly recommend this series for anyone to watch. Their is something in it for everyone.

The Tsubasa series is a mix of many Genera all at the same time. It brings together Comedy, Romance, Science Fiction, Fantasy, Adventure, Martial Arts, and so much more. As mentioned in the official Wikipedia Introduction and Plot descriptions the Main characters of Tsubasa are similar to characters found in other "Clamp" series especially "Cardcaptor Sakura" and xxxHolic. I Love both of those series as well. xxxHolic is what I call a "Companion" series to Tsubasa, Their are more than a few times when the characters of both series come together and interact. Most notably in the beginning of the Tsubasa series.

You can see a lot of me in Syaoran. He is willing to do what ever it takes to find Sakura's feathers because he Loves Princess Sakura more than life itself. Along the way Syaoran helps other people out and not expecting anything in return. I've always been that way. Syaoran is an Apprentice Archaeologist which I think is cool because in real life I Love all of the Sciences and exploring in general. I'm also very detailed oriented which is what is needed to figure out ancient ruins and comes in handy trying to figure out how to get Sakura's feather in each World or dimension that they end up in.

Going from World to World uses Magic to do and Science Fiction to explain. This is something that the Tardis from Dr Who can't do is travel from one dimension to another easily in addition to traveling in space and time. I really like how the writers have come up with so many different ways that Sakura's magical feathers can be used by both good and evil characters.

I also can identify with the other Main characters. Mokona who looks like a "Fat Bunny" is a creature who makes it possible to travel to all of the different places to get Sakura's feathers from. Mokona's Sense of Humor and "Silliness" is a big thing that I'm about. Also I would Love to travel to other Worlds and dimensions. In the "Dimensional Quill" story which I wrote and posted in the "Fan Fiction and Fan Art" Sub Forum I personally am an actual character in the story and get to travel to another planet, dimension, and time. Fai is an all around good guy who is a little mischievous. His sense of humor is addicting to watch and annoying for Kurogane. In Tsubasa Fai is a Magic User, detective, and peacemaker. I tend to be a peacemaker in real life, can be mischievous at times and would make an excellent detective.

Kurogane's go getting attitude and impatience at times I can understand and be like if I'm on a quest or doing a task that takes a lot of concentration. Any major distractions can get annoying to me after a while or in a heartbeat. Also I tend to be direct like Kurogane. In another words get the job done efficiently and with no fuss. Princess Sakura's Love of Nature and kind heart I'm all about as well. To me Nature is magical and something to respect. I may not have Sakura's innocence but do have a strong curiosity about the World around me. Helping others and being respectful is at the core of my being. I'm not trying to brag but if you know me in real life you come to expect that.

If you have seen this series before please add your reply post to this thread and I would Love to talk to you about it. If you have Cosplayed one of the Main Tsubasa characters before I definitively want to hear from you. Meeting other Cosplayers and Guild Members with similar interests in Anime, Manga, and Video Game series is what this Guild is all about.

smithers456

Captain

Friendly Explorer

9,050 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Guildmember 100
  • Citizen 200
Anime Retro & Classic Series

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers