Welcome to Gaia! ::

Anime Conventions: The Global Connection

Back to Guilds

A guild dedicated to sharing/discussing conventions, cosplay, anime, and manga from across the world 

Tags: Convention, Cosplay, Anime, Crossplay, Manga 

Reply Cosplay Help
Shortening Cosplay Uniforms?

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Uke-Kun Yaoi

Desirable Master

18,975 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Bookworm 100
  • Trash Can Supporter 50
PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2016 8:25 pm
Okay so I have a Haikyuu!! cosplay outfit (the jersey/shorts) but they look awkward on me since they're a bit too long. I usually have to pull up the shorts and fold them over and let the shirt just hang there.

Is there any way to shorten the jersey and shorts? It gets uncomfortable when it's folded over. (And the sleeves are a bit too loose on my arms also, so it looks out of place)

Thanks! ^^

(I think the reason it doesn't fit very well was because I ordered a medium Asian size on Amazon, when I'm a size small in American sizes, so I thought medium would fit better)  
PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2016 11:16 pm
Uke-Kun Yaoi
Okay so I have a Haikyuu!! cosplay outfit (the jersey/shorts) but they look awkward on me since they're a bit too long. I usually have to pull up the shorts and fold them over and let the shirt just hang there.

Is there any way to shorten the jersey and shorts? It gets uncomfortable when it's folded over. (And the sleeves are a bit too loose on my arms also, so it looks out of place)

Thanks! ^^

(I think the reason it doesn't fit very well was because I ordered a medium Asian size on Amazon, when I'm a size small in American sizes, so I thought medium would fit better)

Hi Uke-Kun Yaoi,

I'm putting out the word to the Crew to see if they can help you with this question. When it comes to sizes I check first if their is a chart that lists the measurements of the different sizes. If their isn't a list ask the seller or website if they have a list available. Then you can compare the measurements to your actual size. Also some sites will do custom made items. You can ask a seller about that as well. Good luck with your outfit. smile  

smithers456

Captain

Friendly Explorer

9,050 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Guildmember 100
  • Citizen 200

Uke-Kun Yaoi

Desirable Master

18,975 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Bookworm 100
  • Trash Can Supporter 50
PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2016 11:19 pm
smithers456
Uke-Kun Yaoi

Thanks! ^^

Hi Uke-Kun Yaoi,

I'm putting out the word to the Crew to see if they can help you with this question. When it comes to sizes I check first if their is a chart that lists the measurements of the different sizes. If their isn't a list ask the seller or website if they have a list available. Then you can compare the measurements to your actual size. Also some sites will do custom made items. You can ask a seller about that as well. Good luck with your outfit. smile

Ahh, thanks! And yeah, there was a chart. The small size would be too short on me and the medium size seemed a little bit too long.  
PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2016 9:53 am
Keep in mind, I only know the bare basics of sewing, so don't take my advice as gospel...

As far as the shorts go, I would think you could be able to hem each leg to the length you want.

The shirt, I don't know about. I'd want to say the same thing, but shirts are not shorts. sweatdrop  

OnsenMark

Crew

Noble Raider

12,700 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Signature Look 250

angelmage99
Vice Captain

Liberal Ladykiller

22,940 Points
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Full closet 200
PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 1:08 pm
Well at least the problem is easy to fix, at least for the shorts. The shirt cold be questionable. There is a bit questioning room as I assume that you know basic sewing concepts, if you don't please tell me and I'll talk more in detail for the sewing parts.

With the shorts, grab a pair of different shorts that have the right length you want and match them together at the crouch. Don't do it at the belt because of waist issues. Cut about an inch below were the 2nd part of shorts ends on the 1st pair. Then hem and sew the shorts.

As far as the shirt, you'll do the same. If it's still too big then adjust it at the shoulders.

Please remember don't cut anything until you're sure. Once you cut, you can't go back.  
PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 7:09 pm
angelmage99
Well at least the problem is easy to fix, at least for the shorts. The shirt cold be questionable. There is a bit questioning room as I assume that you know basic sewing concepts, if you don't please tell me and I'll talk more in detail for the sewing parts.

With the shorts, grab a pair of different shorts that have the right length you want and match them together at the crouch. Don't do it at the belt because of waist issues. Cut about an inch below were the 2nd part of shorts ends on the 1st pair. Then hem and sew the shorts.

As far as the shirt, you'll do the same. If it's still too big then adjust it at the shoulders.

Please remember don't cut anything until you're sure. Once you cut, you can't go back.

Ooooooh that's actually a really smart way of doing it, I never would have thought anything about that. I do know how to hem and sew parts so!! that'll work. Also, when you say 2nd part of shorts ends on the 1st pair/cutting an inch below it, do you mean the 2nd pair of shorts is the ones you place on top to find the correct length, cut an inch below it, and then I can hem it that way?

Thank you so much !!  

Uke-Kun Yaoi

Desirable Master

18,975 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Bookworm 100
  • Trash Can Supporter 50

angelmage99
Vice Captain

Liberal Ladykiller

22,940 Points
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Full closet 200
PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 9:07 pm
Uke-Kun Yaoi
angelmage99

Ooooooh that's actually a really smart way of doing it, I never would have thought anything about that. I do know how to hem and sew parts so!! that'll work. Also, when you say 2nd part of shorts ends on the 1st pair/cutting an inch below it, do you mean the 2nd pair of shorts is the ones you place on top to find the correct length, cut an inch below it, and then I can hem it that way?

Thank you so much !!

Yeah. I made that a bit confusing, but you get the idea. I'm really short so I have to do that a lot with my own pants.

Please remember where you put them. Don't do it at the waist band, do it at the crouch.  
Cosplay Help

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games